Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

80" Edge construction question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:31 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" Edge construction question

I am building the 80" Edge and have a some questions about the battery and rx hatches.

First, I am putting a Brillelli 46 on this, and it is supposed to weight 55oz with muffler, mounts and ingition. Should I wait to make hatches for the batteries and ignition until I can assemble everything and know where these items will need to go for balance? If this is the case, then I would apply sheeting, cut hatch openings and install rails under the sheeting close to the end of assembly, but prior to covering correct?

Second, is the ply hatch mentioned early on that is recessed into the foam the back side of the compartment? If it is recessed and glued in, what is its function? Or, is it supposed to be covered and screwed into rails that are recessed?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 80" Edge construction question

I would wait until you have it framed up ready to cover. You should go ahead and make the center hatch between the wings for the RX as that's the best place. The Edge's normally come out tail heavy when using an OS 160 which is relatively light. Using the gasser you may end up putting the battery in the left wing instead of the front hatch. Even if you make the front hatch, it's a good place to maybe put the ignition battery? It's best to keep all the gas ignition systems separated from the rc systems anyway. If you end up having to make a rearward hatch for the battery, just put it anywhere along the servo wire tunnel like you say. Not sure I understand your last question but the stock hatches use ply inserts under the 1/16 balsa sheeting as the screw down plates for the hatches. The 1/16" balsa is trimmed away so the hatch actually sits flush with the sheeting.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

The Edge's normally come out tail heavy when using an OS 160 which is relatively light.
Hey Mike, does this apply to the 79" Yak as well? I want to use the Brillelli 46 as well, so it's good to know the weight won't cause too many problems.

Dean, the 46 has rail mounts built into the case, so you don't need the extra mounts.

Mark
Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Mike - regarding the hatch. I was trying to determine if I glue the hatch into the foam like the wing tube supports. It sort of sounded like I was supposed to, but did not make sense. After seeing your answer and reviewing the instructions, it sounds like all I glue into the foam are the inserts, which I assume are rails that the hatches screw into. Correct? As for servo trays, do those get glued into the foam, or do rails they screw into get glued into the foam?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

The Yak is not normally or typically tail heavy like Edges. This seems to be common among all Edges and/ or Yaks or Extras for that matter. Basically the Edge has a short nose and longer tail relatively speaking than the others si this is why they are inherently more tail heavy. Anyway, The hatch is designed to be removable so you would not glur it into the foam. So yes, just glue in the support rails and the servo mounts into the foam direclty using epoxy. Be sure to cut out 1/8" deep areas so they fit flush with the foam prior to sheeting.