Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Edge 540 retirement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:42 PM
rjbranchii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540 retirement

You guys may have forced me to retire my Edge 540. I maidened a Fusion 46 with a Saito .72 today. Proped with a Zinger Pro 14X4 and I couldn't get the grin off my face or stop flying it. Put in 15 flights on it today. What a delight. I used your 2 1/2 degree engine shim and it is just the easiest thing to hover I have yet flown. Only thing I'd like to see is glass gear in the arf. But I have an extra set so they are going on. I did not think you could have the precision flight along with 3D. Man was I wrong. Kudos, ya done good! It now replaces the Edge as the plane that goes to the field every day.

Bob Branch
Harsens Island, MI
Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Edge 540 retirement

I'm in the middle of the kit version myself. it's going together very fast. Can't wait to get it in the air.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:13 PM
rjbranchii

Chuck

Hate to put you in more of a rush, but .... you are gonna love it.

Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just need to get the right wing built and it will be ready for covering.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Thumbsticks

Bob,

I currently do NOT own a profile and have been reading this forum with much interest. I bought a Saito 72 for a Funtana 40 a couple of years back, flew it 3 flights and was so let down with the lack of power that I've never used the engine since. I have 2 questions: First, is the Saito 72 ample for the Fusion or would you upsize to an 82 if you could?? Second, since I'm a total newbee to 3D and want to put in the flight time, would the Fusion be the right choice over the Edge 540 with a 50SX for power, in your opinion which way would you suggest?
Many thanks in advance.

Ray
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
rjbranchii

Ray

The Saito .72 is just as ideal a match as you could want for the Fusion. It hovers at about half throttle and has aggressive verticle pullout of the hover. Just no need for more power in the airplane. I would certaily opt for a 4 stroke over the two stroke for the fusion. You will not notice alot of difference in low throw precision mode. But in 3D mode the difference to me is huge. Both powerplants will provide the power you need to hover and pull out vertically. But the 4 stroke doesn't have the lag of spool up time to higher rpm that the 2 stroke does. I guess if you practice enough or if you are alot better 3D pilot than I am you can deal with it. For me though, just in my second year of 3D flying the essentially instantaneous power increase the 4 stroke gives is a big deal. No wait for spool up. I fly with a Futaba 9 channel transmitter and there is click feeling, like adjusting a glow plug on the throttle stick. I can notice the change of one click in power right when I do it with the 4 stroke. I always had to overshoot and then try to come back and find the power setting I want with the 2 strokes. My guess is that it is where the torque is on a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke. The difference from a harrier to a hover is exaclty one click on my throttle. I fly with about 50% expo on the throttle curve and set up the carb to be half open at half throttle. Oh, I fly with Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel so 20% nitro. I'm turning a zinger pro 14X4 prop and have one ounce of lead in the tail of the plane. I am a big believer that everything needs more power... its my favorite saying in modeling. But I honestly can't tell you what I would do with more on the Fusion. If you had an .82 I don't think I'd see anything wrong with using it. But I'm able to do everything I want with the .72 in this bird.

Ray, I think you will find the fusion 50 is the ideal home for your Saito .72. Less of course you want to talk control line precision aerobaticsI've found some nice homes for it there ... but that's another forum I guess.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
rjbranchii

Oh, I should add, I did find a use for the Edge -540. I gave it to one of our other club members. He says he isn't interested in 3D just sport flying. He is an excellent sport flier... wait til he finds himself in a hover the first time. That will cure his attitude towards 3D!

Bob Branch
Old 08-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Thumbsticks

Bob,

I sincerely appreciate the time you spent and the depth of explaination you gave regarding my question. I'll be ordering the Fusion and be using the 72 4S. I agree with your assessment of the instantanious power curve of a 4S vs. a 2S motor.
Gees, I was hoping for a little enlightenment....I can now see the light.....thank you again.

Ray
Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Bolio

ORIGINAL: Thumbsticks

Gees, I was hoping for a little enlightenment....I can now see the light.....thank you again.

Ray
Or can be: Welcome to the dark side?
Your going to love this plane, is one of the best planes I have ever owned. So much that I'm building the big one to make companion to the samll one
Saludos.