Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

67" ARF Fusion Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Jeffro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 67" ARF Fusion Problems

ORIGINAL: spenser

Building the 67" Fusion and I have a question. Is the Saito 100 engine big enough to pull this plane?

I used it on the Katana 70 and it did a good job, but the Fusion is a little heavier. I do have a 120 if it

would be better????

Spenser

A 100 is not enough for what this airplane needs. A Saito 120 or 125 would be MUCH better. I have seen one fly with a 100 but it was definitely NOT 3D capable with that engine.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:01 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I would say that the 100 will fly it fine but not 3d it well. It may hover with the right prop but you wouldn't have much left. Most folks are using the saito 125 on that bird.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
spenser
My Feedback: (5)

Anybody......Has anyone used the Saito 100 on the 67" Fusion..???????????????

How does it do, is it big enough????

Spenser
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with the above. The Saito 100 is not a bad engine, I run one on my 50" Ultimate profile and love that combo. That plane weighs under 6 1/2 lbs though. The Saito on 20% fuel is probably close to the power of a .91 2s engine so yes it would work on the Fusion but it would not give you the balistic pullout we are all used to now. I would say if you already have the engine give it a try and let us all know how she does. You could always upgrade the engine at a later date.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my nerves have calmed down now. I maidened my 67" Fusion today. On the first flight, I thought I had a glitch (72 Mhz, Futaba 9C) right after take-off so I quickly killed the engine for a deadstick landing, right into a big water puddle[&o]. On the walk back to the pits, I realized I forgot to extend my antenna([:@]Dope!). OK, take a few deep breaths, calm down, try it again. Second flight. Takeoff is smooth, ascending left turn to downwind, throttle back to 3/4 throttle. I think I'm a little nose heavy (O.S. 1.20AX up front), I'll have to move the battery back some. Start the left turn to base and final. What the?[X(] The rudder is fluttering around like mad! Flutter? Slop? Broken hinges? Quickly throttle back, do a 360, and make a deadstick landing to the runway[]. The rudder is on solid, the linkage has no slop. What's wrong? I've got Futaba S3151 Digital Servos all around, except Throttle. Am I just not getting enough holding power out of that servo? What are y'all using? I'd like to have it solved by tomorrow so I can fly all weekend. The weather is going to be perfect!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like a servo problem. I had a pair of 3151s on the elev of a 72" Yak. One was fine the other would bounce around center. everyone told me "it's just a digital servo thing,once it has a load it will stop". This was true enough. I could touch it while it bounced on the ground and it would stop. the problem was in the air. On a few knife edge passes I noticed it bouncing around. When I would level the wings it would get a load and quit. I thought it would be a stupid reason to loose a plane so I pulled the servo and sent it hobby services. They sent me a new one the next week. Problem solved.

David
Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Tango Juliet

That sucks! I've got beautiful weather today and I don't have another servo for the rudder, unless I can use a standard S3004. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the electronic side of things. Can I mix and match servos like that? The LHS doesn't carry the Futaba S3151, but they do carry other brands, and I'd still have to solder an extention to it.[]
Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
daveopam

If you limit the throw and give the servo all the mechanical advantage you can it will work. But how much fun will it be to fly with small rudder inputs? Can you rob a better servo from an Aile or something?

david
Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Tango Juliet

Does that mean I can't use another brands digital servo?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Johnny Mojo

ORIGINAL: TJR1

Does that mean I can't use another brands digital servo?
Mixing and matching should be no problem at all. If you have another brand handy that will give you the power you need, don't hesitate to use it. Just make sure you do all the ground checks to ensure everything is working properly.

J.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 AM
daveopam

If you have a different brand on hand go for it. I have several planes with JR and Futaba servos.

David
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Tango Juliet

I bought two Hitec high-torque servos and installed them, and also purchased a 6 volt battery. I think (I hope) this will do the trick.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
uragano47812

Ok i will post here. I'm building my new Fusion ARF. I have 4 Spektrum DS821 servos will they work well for aile and ele (2x)? In the tail i will use s9255 so with 4.8V system.

I have a 120AX with an APC 17x6, will it need some right adjustment like 2° or not?

Let me know thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Yes sir, most planes require about 2-3 degrees right thrust. Profiles are no different. The other option that is popular with pattern flyers is to program a right rudder curve with throttle. I never tried that but I read an article where Chip Hyde discussed it years ago. Was supposed to be a "truer" means of correction and allows the aircraft to roll more axially.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Jeffro

ORIGINAL: uragano47812

Ok i will post here. I'm building my new Fusion ARF. I have 4 Spektrum DS821 servos will they work well for aile and ele (2x)? In the tail i will use s9255 so with 4.8V system.

I have a 120AX with an APC 17x6, will it need some right adjustment like 2° or not?

Let me know thanks
The DS 821 servos will work, but are below what you would want for a safe, reliable 3D setup. Max torque is around 73 oz/in (not sure if this at 4.8V or 6.0V). You'll get away with 1 servo on each elevator half but if you use one servo for both halves you'll be underpowered. I think you'd be better off with something over 90 oz/in of torque. Rudder servo is OK at 112 oz/in but that's the one surface you might want the most holding power for. The Fusion is too nice of an airplane to put modest servos in. I fly mine with Hitec 5624MG's and they work great! Just my opinion. I hope this helps!