Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Woody extra

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woody extra

Has anyone flown the Woody Extra, that was offered as a proto type by OMP ?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Woody extra

I have . And will try to answer you question. Pls ask .
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
TailTwister

I can help too. I even have a few pics of assembly, as at one point I was going to do a manual. Ask away!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Berwyn Bill
My Feedback: (16)

I'm flying the crap outta mine! Ask away!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Anyone want a slightly used airframe? I have the Woody demo plane for sale. Just no more room in my shop! If interested send me a PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 AM
jdan

What CG are you using ? Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Berwyn Bill

ORIGINAL: jdan

What CG are you using ? Thanks
I'd have to measure it. I'm using a Saito 82 and tried to keep the tail end light but I'm still a little nose heavy (and that's with 1.25oz of lead up front). I use the ol' inverted meathod for checking CG: fly inverted at about 1/2 throttle and see what the plane wants to do hands off. If it climbs, you're tail heavy, if it dives, you're nose heavy. I usually like my profiles to climb just slightly with a full tank but it kinda depends on how you fly.

I also haven't measured the AUW cause I lost my digi fishing scale (overboard due to a rambunctious catfish). I do know the plane could stand to be built about 6oz or so lighter. There's some beautiful work in the joints but it's a little over-engineered, IMHO. That said, my 82 on 30% swinging a 15x4 Xoar yanks it around and hovers at about 1/2 throttle with plenty of (if not ballistic) pullout.

If you get some wingrock on upright harriers, add some flaperon to it. I usually need to add spoileron to my planes but the Woody smooths out beautifully with about 7-10 degrees of flaps. I set that to a switch and can drive it around the field with its tail in the high grass with the best of my slabs.

Mike and Frank, is the wing tube with the plane supposed to be short? Mine is about 2" or so too short. I checked the stops in the outer wing tube and they're right where they should be, the CF tube just doesn't go from stop to stop when the wings are on. Still holds up well, though. Just a little odd.

I have to admit, even with the things I think could be done a bit better (or simpler) with the plane, I do love flying it.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Bill, I never noticed the wing tube being short but can't recall sliding it all the way in and measuring both sides so it might be.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Berwyn Bill

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Bill, I never noticed the wing tube being short but can't recall sliding it all the way in and measuring both sides so it might be.
Yeah, I though I had broken out one of the stops at first but I think it's just a bit short (or the stops got put in a bay too far in each wing). But I will say, I wring this thing out violently and it's been just fine.