RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/omp-ohio-model-products-support-forum-261/)
-   -   80" GS 540 Edge Profile ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/omp-ohio-model-products-support-forum-261/1539945-80%22-gs-540-edge-profile-arf.html)

3-D Flyer 03-05-2004 06:13 PM

RE: 80" GS 540 Edge Profile ARF

Can someone tell me what the engine mount area dimensions are on this bird? I was wondering if that new roto 35 from r/c showcase might not be such a bad match for this plane. However it has the rear carb on it and i think th overall length is like, 6.25 OR 6.50" .
Weight with ignition and muffler is 4 pounds... doesent seem too bad for a gasser! 35cc 4h.p. should make this bird 3D pretty well, what do you think?

STLPilot 03-05-2004 06:34 PM

Well I'm not sure exactly but the mount area is cut for an OS 160. Dont worry about it being overcut for that motor. I was looking at the motor as well. It's a nice engine, right now i've got the MVVS 38 cc gasser, but that one is lighter and looks very nice. Mine spins a 22x6 Pro Zinger at 7500.

I'll get you the exact numbers.

3-D Flyer 03-05-2004 06:44 PM

When you say you were looking at the motor as well did you mean, before you went w/ the mvs? or you were looking at them recently?
I am curious as how it would perform w/ the roto.... The Mvs would be just about the same weight w/ muffler and ignition, am i right?
How does this plane 3D w the Mvvs combo up front? I am asking all these questions because i have yet to SEE a giant profile fly outside of your video. But i would like to see how it performs w/ the gasser up front! Can't wait, should be a blast! Any set dates on shipping yet?

PlaneCrazzy 03-05-2004 06:52 PM

Hey Dion,

What goes around comes around !! REMEMBER ??

AFSalmon 03-07-2004 12:00 PM

Not sure about the mew RCS roto 35 but we have used the RCS 180 which is a rear carb 30 cc gasser on the GS540P. You have to vut out some of the fuse area behind the engine to clear the carb but that's not hard to do. The stock engine rail beams are set for the OS 160 which I believe is 2" wide. You can trim to fit a bigger engine if need be.

Mike

DKjens 03-08-2004 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I simply cut the slots in the foam fuse for the engine mount beams wider, so the beams wouldn't need to be trimmed to fit the mvvs2.15 after sheeting, a very easy mod anybody should be able to do. Even though the mvvs2.15 is no lightweight, and add the big pipe I use as well, does not exactly take weight off, the EdgeP flyes very very light. Mine is quite tail heavy, in last half of flight it pitches up when upright and inverted and is a bit of a handfull to land, unless it's harrier style. Hovering is a few clicks above idle, oodles and oodles of time to make corrections, and oodles and oodles of power to pull out fast. I don't know what mine weighs, I don't really care, my mvvs2.15 (the older, non red head) yanks it around like a WRC car.
DKjens

STLPilot 03-09-2004 08:54 AM

RE: RE: 80" GS 540 Edge Profile ARF

Need a picture of the plane & pilot for our photo gallery!

Looks awesome. Love the pipe.

3-D Flyer 03-09-2004 11:39 AM

NIce! Thank's for the suggestions... But i was actually refering to the ARF version, I was wondering if the mods to get those larger gas engines will be a pain to do or not. Kind of waiting till the plane arrives before i order the engine. I know it would be easy to do if you were kitting this plane but i hate cutting up those nice ARF's if you don't have too! However i love to fly gas so i guess you have to do what you have to do! Any news on shipment yet? Can you tell i can't wait much longer?????:D

DKjens 03-09-2004 12:00 PM

The distance between my engine mount rails is 60-61mm to fit the mvvs2.15gas engine.

Dion,
I hope to get the new gear this week, so I can get it back in the air this weekend. I'll see if I can have someone take some "action shots", or at least a little more dynamic than what's posted here. Thanks for the comments.

DKjens

Absolut Yak 03-09-2004 12:58 PM

3-D Flyer,

If the ARF is built the same as the kit, and the initial pics look that way, then the mod for the bigger engine is pretty simple. My kit was completely framed and ready to cover when I decided to go with the MVVS.

The engine rails are too thin to bolt through if you widen the cutout. The solution is to add an additional rail above and below the present rails. So, after some looking at the plans, I cut out the balsa cap strip above and below the present rails in the size of my rail to be installed. I then got a flat scrap of iron about 1/8" thick, long enough to extend as far as I wanted to insert the rail, and narrow enough to fit inside the fuse, heated it with my propane torch and simply melted out the foam to the desired dimension. Very easy, but be careful not to remove too much. Takes literally seconds. The existing rails act as a guide to slide against and once cleaned up give the glue something to bond the next rail to. Then, I simply got some oak hardwood from Lowe's, I think 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 12" or something like that for about $1.50, cut it to dimension, spread on some Elmers poly glue and clamped it. Once that was done, I used my band saw to cut out the spacing for the MVVS making sure to maintain centerline. The rear hardwood spacer between the two existing rails needs to be removed and pushed backwards if you don't want the engine too far forward. I simply cut it out at the glue joints, relieved the foam, applied glue, and reinserted it. Balsa and filler replaced as needed. I think I left the rails nearly flush to the nose. No pictures while doing this, unfortunately.

Total time, less clamping time, about two hours, and I'm slow.

Haven't yet flown it, but have complete confidence in it. Should fly by next week.

Doug

Absolut Yak 03-09-2004 01:19 PM

Moderator,

Apologies for posting on the manufacturer's forum. I simply forgot where I was at on RCU. Just wanted to let people know it's an easy mod to put the MVVS on after framing up. ARF should be essentially the same.

Doug

3-D Flyer 03-09-2004 03:18 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Absolut Yak 03-09-2004 09:58 PM

On my post about installing the MVVS mounting rails, I re-read my post and would like to make sure anyone who tries this tunnels from the nose, just above the existing mount rail, not relieve all the foam by approaching from the top. The small amount of cap strip is removed from the nose, not a massive piece from the top. Appologies to the moderator again.

Doug