Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Murdo:
    Thanks a lot! 139???
    The first pass was with 85% battery and the second with about 30% left. No wind today.

Again: sure it was 139? Remember: this is the 16/25/2EC..... Should it really be this fast?
    Livin\'\' it UP when I\'\'m goin\'\' DOWN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arc,
    139 made my eyebrows jump, too.

Your passes were in opposite directions, though, so I'd average them to 127mph to account for wind. No wind is a rare thing.

Still, nice flying. and great speed squeezed from a 480 size motor!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: murdnunoc

Arc,
    139 made my eyebrows jump, too.

Your passes were in opposite directions, though, so I'd average them to 127mph to account for wind. No wind is a rare thing.

Still, nice flying. and great speed squeezed from a 480 size motor!
    If the weather tomorrow allows, the NEU 1115/1Y (2800kv) will be put to work with the 6.5*6.5.
    Maybe 160 will be in reach (both mph and amps I guess)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

Murdo:
    Thanks a lot! 139 ???
    The first pass was with 85% battery and the second with about 30% left. No wind today.

Again: sure it was 139? Remember: this is the 16/25/2EC..... Should it really be this fast?
    I guessed at 60 deg F on your blog, but when the correct temp shows, I get the EXACT same results as Murdo.

YES, MEGA motors are really that fast !!!!!

Good on Ya !!!!!!
    Fly fast, get it home safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

Murdo:
    Thanks a lot! 139 ???

I guessed at 60 deg F on your blog, but when the correct temp shows, I get the EXACT same results as Murdo.

YES, MEGA motors are really that fast !!!!!

Good on Ya !!!!!!
    Awesome!!!
    Any guess (amps and mph) on the APC6.5*6.5 and the NEu 1115/1Y ?

PS: The special 22 MEGA will be arriving in a few days:-D

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arc,way to go!Must be nice to see those numbers!I'm still in the painfull waiting period for my mount and 16/40.Hey guys I was wondering about some glassing on the stryker.....just after the nose and under the the first hatch were there is a couple of tight corners(1 is squared off)should a person cut it out so it is more stream-lined along the cabin bay?Arc, it looks like in the pics you posted a few pages back that you have taken yours out.
    Greg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome!!!
    Any guess (amps and mph) on the APC6.5*6.5 and the NEu 1115/1Y ?

PS: The special 22 MEGA will be arriving in a few days:-D
    You might be hard pressed to top the MEGA 25/2 on 4 cells.
    It might be close, very close, but I would bet that you put more rpm's out with the smaller MEGA on your 4 cells than that NEU on 3 cells.

Both motors should get you between 25,000 and 26,000 RPM's
    Lets see how close this guess really is.
    .............................. you MUST fly on the same Stryker (Sleipner) though, or my guess will have to be recanted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rimripper- If you go back one page to my post near the bottom of the page you'll see a pic of my second Stryker (black and white w/ Dragons). If you take the pic to actual size (clicking once then clicking the little icon on the lower right) then look at the area you are describing you will see where I took those fake intakes (dragtakes) out with some creative cutting and sanding. Makes for a much cleaner FUZ

Good to see that some of the same ole friendly helpful folks are still here!

Had a ball with the ole Dragon today knees were knockin till I got the rust off my thumbs and the setup trimmed out...once that was done I got brave and pulled some 850 watt two to three foot passes! I'm feelin the need for Stryker speed again[X(]
    Revver Bro - #235

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

Rimripper- If you go back one page to my post near the bottom of the page you'll see a pic of my second Stryker (black and white w/ Dragons). If you take the pic to actual size (clicking once then clicking the little icon on the lower right) then look at the area you are describing you will see where I took those fake intakes (dragtakes) out with some creative cutting and sanding. Makes for a much cleaner FUZ

Good to see that some of the same ole friendly helpful folks are still here!

Had a ball with the ole Dragon today knees were knockin till I got the rust off my thumbs and the setup trimmed out...once that was done I got brave and pulled some 850 watt two to three foot passes! I'm feelin the need for Stryker speed again[X(]
    Thanks for the post,I couldn't wait for a response so Idid it like you mentiond,I cut the humps out then sanded it in nice and contoured.Looks so much cleaner!!Im going to be glassing this frame up in the next few days to get it ready for the 16/40.I am wondering when I do the glassing should Ilay the cloth across the leading edge of the wings and have it so it ties into the middle of the bottom of the fuse?Ill post a pic of the trim job in the morning,Im hoping it takes some drag away from the airframe.
    Greg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rimripper
    I am wondering when I do the glassing should IΒ*lay the cloth across the leading edge of the wings and have it so it ties into the middle of the bottom of the fuse?Ill post a pic of the trim job in the morning,Im hoping it takes some drag away from the airframe.
    Greg.
    IMHO,
    1. glass the bottom first (after all CF and bass trailing edges are done) and let it cure. Do NOT wrap any glass around anything, just allow it to lay flat on the bottom.
    2. Trim / sand / file away any/all excess glass and drips of epoxy
    3. Glass the top without any verticals. Pay attention to all "humps" that need covering, the glass will want to bubble in the curves, make sure it lays flat. Here is where you should wrap glass around the leading edges and nose area, overlapping under the fuse. Let it cure.
    4. Trim away any and all excess glass and epoxy drips and eyeball the entire project. This is critical to how much sanding you do. You might not need to sand the entire top/bottom, just a touch up is all that might be needed.
    5. Now you MUST gauge how heavy the battery / batteries will be. IMHO, anything near the weight of a 4s5000 or heavier, and you will need another layer of glass under the battery area and around the nose. Make sure to cover the area near the airbrakes as well, even if you remove the speed brakes. Let it cure.
    6. Cure time now gets doubled. If it took you 3 days to do the previous 5 steps, then take 3 more days of it hanging there doing NOTHING !!!
    7. Now you cut into the foam and dig out for batteries, ESC, receiver, etc. This allows MAX strength from foam and glass job !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.k I did this little mod last night to the stryker(orange stryker)she looks kinda ugly,I am going to repaint it when I do some glassing.I cut the airbrakes out like articflyer and others have done,mostly to make it eisier on me when Itry to glass it.This stryker will be used as a weekend warrior after I do my speed build BUT it should also get me some good speeds out of the 16/40.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54036.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	1514084  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.k I did this little mod last night to the stryker(orange stryker)she looks kinda ugly,I am going to repaint it when I do some glassing.I cut the airbrakes out like articflyer and others have done,mostly to make it eisier on me when IΒ*try to glass it.This stryker will be used as a weekend warrior after I do my speed build BUT it should also get me some good speeds out of the 16/40.
    If you are running an ICE 100, then I would go directly to the 8x6 on 5s5000 (if you can) and video that sleek Stryker so we can doppler it and compare your speeds to mine on Popcorn !!

If you will only be able to run a 6 cell setup, I would start with a 7x5 just to get a baseline of something that will work without worrying about going over 100 amps or so with larger props. You can allways swap up to a 7x6 and see that data as well, but we would LOVE to have that 7x5 Sport first (not the APC E 7x5).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arc, it looks like in the pics you posted a few pages back that you have taken yours out.
    Greg.
    Rim: Sorry for not replying earlier but I noticed that sombody had already helped you - and now you are finished removing the most annoying part of the whole Stryker. Looks great!
    Here is how I dismembered mine:

Name:	Bz77182.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1514986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87784.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	1514987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx60921.jpg 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1514988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xq44169.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1514989  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks,I think it just looks alot better this way and I do think the stryker will loose some of the drag they created,how much?who knows but it must account for something!!Also was checking the lhs for some lipo's and there 5-6s are only rated at 25c/50c would it be wise to get up around 40c-45c?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

was checking the lhs for some lipo's and there 5-6s are only rated at 25c/50c would it be wise to get up around 40c-45c?
    That 16/40/2ce motor should not be run on amperages over 100.
    Its possible that you might get away with slightly more current, but I am not so sure that I would try.

You could allways get the better batteries and have them for use in another project, take great care of them and they should love the application you are putting them into where they can comfortably give you the voltage you wish. You could allways run a smaller 45/90 battery than the 30/60 series, having less weight (and run-time) might be advantageous to your 6 cell aspirations.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.k so the lower c  rating would be ok,like the 30/60 or even the 25/50?Will I still get the good performance from them I only ask because when you tested the 16/40 a week ago you listed that you used 45/90 and I was asumeing that it would be ok to use the same.Sorry for the questions as Im still kinda learning about the way to make something work efficiently as to "just put some stuff together and run it"I want to gain knowlege to build efficient set-ups that work together instead of throwing power out the window to heat loss and such.
    Greg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rim,
    I run the 45/90 batts that are 5000mAh because I need then for speed runs. I use them by default due to the fact that I dont have anything smaller. You need to worry about a few things with your build, and make some decisions. One of them is "what size battery do you need ?" .................... If you need really light batteries, then consider that the 16/40/2 will run close to 100 amps for its max, then consider run-time. Now you have to CG whatever battery that you put in your Stryker, and a 5s5000 is a VERY heavy pack which will bring your CG forward of the dots. How far forward depends on how you build your Stryker...
    1. Did you install bass trailing edges and balsa elevons ?
    2. Did you trim away the foam to make room for the bass, or did you just add the bass to the trailing edge of the foam without cutting it ?
    3. Do you plan on installing LOTS of CF, and are you using Gorilla glue, hot glue, or epoxy to attach them ?
    4. Will you be glassing it, or painting it with epoxy ?

All of these add weight to the rear, helping to offset your "planned" nose heavy situation (IF you plan on running BIG batteries)

I believe I remember you "thinking" of running 6 cells ??
    I hand launched a 6s5000 a few times on Strykers .......................... it aint easy, and it aint pretty, it can be done, BUT not with 6 cells and the 16/40/2 motor. So you might consider a 6 cell battery (45/90) that can deliver the power you will need (about 100 amps max) and get them as small as possible to alleviate you having a VERY "nose heavy" situation.

So instead of getting all 5000mAh batts, you could run a 6s2650 (45/90) battery (434 grams) and have about 1/2 of the battery weight (and flying time) as compared to the 6s5000 setup that I fly (or try to fly), which will bring your CG back toward the dots, and also give you a MUCH easier time of hand launching the 7x5 prop with a 6 cell setup.

You could also run a 30c battery like a 6s3850 (618 grams) with the 7x5 prop on the MEGA 16/40/2.

All of this different weight (6s3850 30c compared to a 6s2650 45c) will change where your Stryker CG's is, so you MUST consider it before purchasing your batteries.

I hope I have helped

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.k,well on the current orange stryker I did install bass trailng edge BUT I did not cut the foam away I just added it.I do plan on glassing my orange stryker also.With the power system on hand.100 ice 16/40/2ce would the 6s 2650's or even 5s 2650 give enough time for 3 passes in either direction at WOT?On my new build I do plan on trimming before I install the bass and elevrons and I would like to add the carbon and just epoxy the airframe(with the proper amount of carbon)I should really build a bungee launcher I guess,because when it all comes down to it I'm on the quest for speed and eventually I will run in to (like you mention)something that is heavy to hand launch.I really appreciate your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rimripper- I was hand launching my first "speed" Stryker that had two 4S 2250mah 40C Rhino's and like MOPAR said it ain't pretty. That plane weighed 53oz[X(] I had already determined that if it got any heavier a bungee would be necessary. As it was, I had to put in about 12 clicks of up trim just to get it in the air and as I added in the power took the trim out. It was a pain!
    One way to balance out a nose heavy Stryker is to cut those servo bays out and install full sized servos. Mine has DS821 digitals in it!
    Revver Bro - #235

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi HO HI HO of to build a bungee I go!Whats a good amount of geg to buid it at 45?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the peices are showing up at the door!Custom r/c mount,heat sink now just waiting for the 16/40!a couple questions about the mount.
    1.the 2 top peices have the custom mount name etched into it,but they are both on the same side,so one needs to be upside down for it to line up on the mount.is this correct because that is how I have it.
    2.to mount the actuall motor mount on there will be 4 screws that are put in from the middle of the mount to hold it into place?that is how I have it.
    Thanks Greg.
    Oh and this mount is a real gem!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the peices are showing up at the door!Custom r/c mount,heat sink now just waiting for the 16/40!a couple questions about the mount.
    1.the 2 top peices have the custom mount name etched into it,but they are both on the same side,so one needs to be upside down for it to line up on the mount.is this correct because that is how I have it.
    2.to mount the actuall motor mount on there will be 4 screws that are put in from the middle of the mount to hold it into place?that is how I have it.
    Thanks Greg.
    Oh and this mount is a real gem!!
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...35/key_/tm.htm
    There is a detailed step by step on this page. If you need any other help, please dont hesitate to PM me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that link Mopar.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the power system on hand.100 ice 16/40/2ce would the 6s 2650's or even 5s 2650 give enough time for 3 passes in either direction atΒ*WOT?
    Easiest way to answer this is for you to look at the Amp Hours on the Castle graph and determine your flying style compared to mine. Just in case, to convert from Amp hours to milli-amp hours, just move the decimal over 3 places. 1 amp hour = 1000mAh

To give a rough estimate, the 8x6 Sport on the MEGA 16/40/2ce with a 5s5000(45/90) battery uses about 500mAh for every 10 second full throttle burst. Part throttle levels and duration(s) will use different amounts of power, so you must gauge your mAh use against your flying style.

Name:	Kd88897.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1515720  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will look at this once I get the 16/40/2ce in my stryker,this waiting is not fun,Im hoping it arrives before winter blows in to these parts,no frost yet but it sure can move in quickly and Im not sure about brining it down onto frozen lumps.

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast