Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

PARKZONES NEW P-47

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PARKZONES NEW P-47

ORIGINAL: 6Sally5

Guys, I'm having trouble getting the COG set on my PZ Jug. The manual says 60 mm aft of the LE at the wing root. With retracts and flaps added and using the stock battery, it is way tail heavy. To try to balance it out, I set 28g on the nacelle just aft of the prop and it's still a little heavy. I hate adding any weight at all. Oddly enough, with out any weight added, it is really easy to nose over taxiing around...VERY irritating! Thoughts? Suggestions? Once in the air, it flies great.

What a min. I just looked at my P-47 and the marks are set exactly at 60mm on top of the wings, but the CG is set at 55mm with a 3 cell 2700 mAh. I havent checked the CG with a 4 cell 2200 mAh battery. With retracts and battery its slightly nose heavy. Flys fine though.

How is your plane tail heavy??
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Voodoo101

Scooter,

Have you tried the APC 11x5.5E ? I ran the specs on the PZ P-47 on a couple of different prop calculators and for the most part,the 11x5.5 comesout on top.

BTW, How many Lipos of the correct size do you and most guys have on hand for your favorite weekend aircraft?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Saburo Sakai

Yo, Scooter!
It reads "your signature is banned" on your postscript.Hmmm....I guess you CAN'T tell us what it reads? It must have been pretty good! Bummer, dude!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

Yo, Scooter!
It reads ''your signature is banned'' on your postscript. Hmmm....I guess you CAN'T tell us what it reads? It must have been pretty good! [img][/img]Bummer, dude!!!
It wasnt bad at all, but one of the mods is a cat lover and he kept harassing me for two weeks through IM's that I "better" change it! Butt Head......

Remember Safety First!! NEVER FLY NEAR CARS, HOUSE'S, PEOPLE OR DOGS (But Cats are OK)

Thats it!!.......
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101

Scooter,

Have you tried the APC 11x5.5E ? I ran the specs on the PZ P-47 on a couple of different prop calculators and for the most part, the 11x5.5 comes out on top.

BTW, How many Lipos of the correct size do you and most guys have on hand for your favorite weekend aircraft?
The 11x5.5 is smaller than the 12x6-e, in size and pitch. It would have less speed and thrust. The 12x6-e works for me.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Voodoo101

Scooter,

I know you love the 12x6 but Ijust thought you might have tried the 11x5.5 at one time. I know that there is nothing like actual testing to tell you which prop really performs best. But sitll, when I run the numbers through two different calculators and they both tell me that the 11x5.5 is tops, I'm going to go ask the most experienced prop tester, if he has tried that prop.

Oh......most experienced prop tester....That's you !!!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM
mad web tv scientist

6Sally5, your CG situation can be dealt with as you have done. Like yourself, I am "almost" obsessed about weight and have developed a practice of removing excess "dead wood" from behind the CG. To reach the hard to reach spots, metal tubing with a sharpened saw tooth shape is filed into the end of the tubing. Smaller, lighter but higher "C" batteries work great to help bring the CG back and can work very well for adequate five minute flights that drains the batteries down to a safe storage charge of 11.1-11.5 volts. Except for the wrong information about battery storage tips, the "Snortin' Bull" is a fabulous fighter. More about the genius in the design of this dandy little "Jug" in the future, depending upon how the war unfolds.

Scoot, thank you for your information. I feel a lot more confident about flying at higher power levels now. Your information has me buying more props to experiment with. By the way, sorry to see your humorous post signature shot down. I snickered every time I read it. We not only need to constantly rubberneck to check our own "6", but our wingman's 6 as well. Please don't let this experience cost us yet another pilot. The enemy will stop at nothing to undermine our moral. We can't afford to lose more knowledgeable, talented pilots. So, please hang in there, we have a war that must be won.

Sakai, I haven't forgotten about you, I'm still working on that report for the 109 thread in addition to trying to master my new PC.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm is a URL that brings up five star and four star rated Ace Fighter threads that suggest their value in the promotion of modeling that must succeed at all costs.

ENJOY! "Aim High . . . Fly-Fight-Win!"

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif] [sm=cry_smile.gif]____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of a selfish esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM
mad web tv scientist

Web tv and PC interaction problems, sorry. I'm a slow learner.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
mad web tv scientist

Please see last post.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
scooterinvegas

Scooter,

I know you love the 12x6 but I just thought you might have tried the 11x5.5 at one time. I know that there is nothing like actual testing to tell you which prop really performs best. But sitll, when I run the numbers through two different calculators and they both tell me that the 11x5.5 is tops, I'm going to go ask the most experienced prop tester, if he has tried that prop.

Oh......most experienced prop tester....That's you !!!
This is the smallest plane I have, so I dont have a lot of props to test. Most of my prop wall has 13" to 22" APC, Xoar and Vess props for my bigger planes.

But what I have tested for the PZ P-47 is:

APC 9x9 10x5 10x6 11x7SF 11x7S 12.5x6 12x4 12x6 13x4.
Top Flight 12x6
Parkzone 9.5x7.5 & 10.5x9 (extra 300)

Some were bad, some OK, a couple stood out as conforming to my flying style. The 10.5x9 & 9x9 had good top speed, but climbed slow and use a lot of throttle any time I wasn't flying level or descending. 10x5 climbed "OK" but dint have much speed. 11x7 was a good all around prop. 12.5x6 was very good, but pulled too many amps to keep flying. 12x4 & 13x4 had good thrust for climbing, but was VERY slow on diving passes. The stock prop isn't too bad, and the extra 300 prop didn't have the up-line thrust I like, but was fast in a dive. This leaves the APC 12x6-e, perfect for the way I like to fly with the stock set-up with a 3 cell battery. I have been flying a 4 cell the last couple of weekends with a 11x6 and a 45 amp scorpion ESC. This set-up puts me on the VERY edge of the motors burst amp rating, so I would not be surprised it I let the white smoke out of the motor! If I do, I have a spare Scorpion 3020 890 motor just waiting to get its chance to go fast!

The Scorpion motor is going to make its way into the Jug any way. With a 4 cell and a 12X8-E APC it will do 82oz of thrust at 70MPH @ 695 watts = FUN!!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Voodoo101

Thanks Scooter,

Very useful information. I'll try to put it to good use.

Would be nice if Icould just get the time to put the Jug together. Not a big deal though. Mother Nature has seen fit to bring us a batch of nice cold rainy weather...that's so nice 'cause I ain't ready to fly anyhow.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 PM
scooterinvegas

Another good day out flying. I took 4 planes to the field, 1 gas, 2 nitro and 1 Parkzone P-47. I get there just as everyone was loaded up and leaving. I spend a few min shooting the breeze. Just after the last guy left, I realized that I forgot my fuel tote. DAMN. That was the first time I forgot to bring fuel.

My big gasser had a full tank, so I flew the gas out of that (40 min). Thank God I had the P-47. Flew it for like 2 hours in 6-15 mph wind. Sweet.

Even though I made a bone head move by forgetting my fuel, I still had a GOOD DAY FLYING.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 AM
6Sally5

Hey Scoot...thanks for the very detailed analysis of the various props. I was told by my LHS that the APC 11x5.5e was the same as the Extra 300's. I have been flying that and really like it. I do fly kind of 3/4-WOT most of the time (hey...it's an attacking Warbird!). I probably can't tell the difference between one prop or another if there are small changes. I do know the stock prop was a dog and I immediately replaced it. My P-47 is still quite a bit slower than my PZ T-28. I have a Turnigy 35-36 motor a Castle 54 amp ESC, 2200ma 25C 3S, flying an APC 9.5x7.5 prop. I love aerobatics with it!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
mad web tv scientist

Squadron, you've done it! A new "full house" PZ Jug must be acquired for my forces sooner rather than later. I really appreciate all the reporting of experiences and thinking about the P-47. I really hate flipping over on landings but it finally dawned on me that with the Thunderbolt's great belly landing qualities I will simply perform an emergency belly landing when I don't like the landing strip conditions.

Thanks for your inspirational posts.

Over and out.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: 6Sally5

I was told by my LHS that the APC 11x5.5e was the same as the Extra 300's.
10.5x9 thin is the parkzone extra 300 prop. So the 11X5.5 will be alot slower. Try a 11X7-E for some more speed.

I put a wood Xoar 12X6 on the jug, looks GREAT!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Voodoo101

Thanks, Scooter. Got a 11x7E on the prop balancer right now. Bought one of them new fangled magnitized prop balancers today. It seems to work pretty good so far. Almost got the Jug ready to fly.

I noticed tonight when I sat it down on the floor in the shop, that the gear seemed a little cooked. After doing some close checking it apears that the left gear leg is bent just a little at the curly Q near the top of the gear leg, causing the gear to look tipped toward the fuselage a little. I don't konw if it's worth worrying about or not. When the gear are retracted the right tire is not quite touching the bottom of the wheel well, while the left one does just barely touch.

Do you have any opinion as to which gear leg I should tweek. I'm thinking of bending the left gear out so it does not make contact with the bottom of the wheel well. That would also have the effect of making the gear width just a little wider.

The stuff on Horizon's web site says that these gear have a shut off so they don't stall when they hit an obstruction, like the bottom of the wheel well. But I'm thinking it's still better if the don't quite rest against anything.

Then again maybe it's better to have them lightly touch the bottom of the wheel well. That might cut down on unwanted vibration.

What do ya think?

I'm getting tired of having this thing on the bench. It's a BNF foamy. I should be flying already. But we do have some crummy weather headed this way so, no real hurry.

Thanks again for the input.

Bert
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Voodoo101

Does anyone know if I have to use the Long Y connector that came with the E-Flite Retracts. I used 12 inch servo leads reach the inside of the fuselage, and I'd rather not have all that loose wire bundled up in there.

Someone I talked to the other day said that the long Y connector may have something inside the Y that will drop the voltage down for the Retracts.

But nobody seems to know for sure....even the guys at Horizon Hobby product support were stumped.

Any help appreciated,

Bert
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
scooterinvegas

Tested a couple more props that I had laying around.

Top Flight Wood

12X6 36 Amps @ 417 Watts 3 Cell
11X6 27 Amps @ 325 Watts 3 Cell
11X7SF 43 Amps @ 450 Watts 3 Cell

Well I knew the Slow Fly would pull a lot of amps!

The 12X6-E APC pulls 33 Amps, that's as hard as I want to push the stock set-up.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Voodoo101

Scooter, because you test so many different props, I know you must have a good method of reaming out the shaft hole. Could you share yours with me. Ijust finished the final assembly toinght. I was all excited, and went to install the new APC11x7E and of course the hole is too samll.

Because I'm just getting back into RC, a prop reamer is one of those things Idon't have yet.

Oh, almost forgot. When you measure for CG, do you measure right from the leading edge of the wing? The reason I ask is because when I follow the diagram in the assembly manual it shows the measurement being taken more form the front of the wing saddle. But the instructions say to measure from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage. To me these are two different points.

HHshould be more clear on several aspects of the instructions and this one really bugs me.

I'm thinking the diagram in the instruction manual is wrong.

Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bert
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
scooterinvegas

Ya its from the very front of the leading edge. Just lay a ruler on the top of the wing and look down till its at the edge, then put a small mark with a sharpie. It will bal a little nose heavy, which is fine.

I use a reamer for my "standard" size prop shafts, but do not have a metric reamer so I use a 8mm drill bit and a cordless drill. I only have one plane with a metric prop adapter. You could use a 5/16 drill and just "wobble" the hole a little. You will need to re-balance it after.

On your balancer, make sure to put the "cone" side in the front of the prop and the "flat" side on the back of the prop (facing the motor). Push and twist to make sure its tight.

Scoot
Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Voodoo101

Hey, thanks Scooter,

We're almost ready to fly the P-47. I still need to go through the radio and put in dual rate values and expo. Most of the control surfaces moved pretty much the correct amount for the high rate, with the ecption of the elevator which has a little bit more throw than called for. That's where these new computerized radios really shine. Years ago I'd have been tweeking here and there with contorl linkages and different servo arms. I be liking that a lot.

Just really no excuse for the poor drawing in the instructions. HHneeds to put out an ammendment to that one in the instructions or at least put out a bulletin onlineso folks don't go hanging a bunch of lead on the nose.

Oh well, the motor seems to make good power and I'll ream out the hole in the new 11X7 prop before Ifly. Oh yeah, Ibought one of those Magnetic prop balancers from Top Flite. Seems to work really well. Probably a little overkill but nice to know that the motor isn't going to shake the mount or firewall to pieces.

Enjoy the weekend......I've got to work again.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 PM
scooterinvegas

Went and flew the P-47 today in 20-25 mph winds, with gusts in the 30's. Landed it like a heli! LOL Sand was blowing like crazy on the dry lake.

I put a Scorpion 3014-1040 on it last night and wanted to see how she flew. I put a 60A ESC in it, and with the 12X6-E APC to pulled 38A @ 415 watts. It seamed to have lots of power and speed, but because of the wind, I wont know how it really compares to the stock motor till I get to fly it in calmer winds.

The back of the stock motor has a plastic bearing carrier, which surprised me. The Scorp 3014 is out of my HobbyZone Cub, so Im going to put it back in it and put a Scorpion 3020-890kv in the Jug. With the 3300 4 cell, it should haul butt!

After flying the P-47 for about 20 min the wind picked up even more, so I pulled a big gasser out of the truck & put the P-47 away. Flying and landing wasn't too bad, but getting the 76" wing with 15" cord off the plane and into the truck was harder than expected in 30 mph+ winds. [:@]

My hat and top to my ice chest blew away. I looked for them, no luck there.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Voodoo101

Wow, 415 watts. That's a bunch in that plane. My stock set up shows 260 watts. I still have to wait for time off work and the weather to cooperate.

Having a hold of a 76" wing in 30 miles per winds....LOL...if you could have achieved the proper angle of incidence you might have been able to get airborn yourself. I used to train folk with a Senior Telemaster, so I've had that feeling before.

Hey, I've got another question. What receiver are you running in your Jug? You know the rumor mill on the net. I've been hearing some not so good rumors about the BNFreceiver. Wondered if you were using a Spectrum AR600?

I know I haven't been as excited about a plane in years. I sure hope we get some good weather when I do finally get a day off. But that will probably be about 12 or 13 of the month.

Oh well, I just keep watching youtube and waiting.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 PM
mad web tv scientist

[X(] Scoot, I say wow too! You also answered the question about the advantage of larger heavier airplanes in really windy weather. Winds variable around 20 mph can be fun with the 47, but much higher would probably scare me much too much especially if they are very turbulent in landing areas.

Tried to respond earlier today but got "timed out." I really appreciate the discussion about the CG. My next Jug will be set up right even though my present machine is really sweet. PZ needs to also get the the battery storage story right as well. Consistency with reality is important.

Keep having fun!

(Sig on post #56)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
scooterinvegas

Wow, 415 watts. That's a bunch in that plane. My stock set up shows 260 watts. I still have to wait for time off work and the weather to cooperate.
You should/can get more than 260 watts from the stock set-up. With the stock-up and my 12X6-E, I was getting 33A @ 330 watts. Flew great. Just NO WOT for more than 10 sec for the 1st couple of min on a fresh battery.

Hey, I've got another question. What receiver are you running in your Jug? You know the rumor mill on the net. I've been hearing some not so good rumors about the BNF receiver. Wondered if you were using a Spectrum AR600?
I had a AR6200 laying around, so I put it in the P-47. I like AR6200's and up because of the satellite receivers.

Ive flew it stock in slightly less wind, and going into the wind seamed slower with the stock set-up with the 12X6-E. I think the little Scorpion motor is going to work well. I felt the E-flite 60A ESC as soon as I landed each time, was NOT hot. Im happy so far, and might just leave it be. But I doubt it.

Ricky Bobby: "I want to go fast!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.