Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Choosing My First Plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 PM
DoughGnat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing My First Plane

Hello,

I am very interested in starting with an electric airplane. Not too long ago, my friend invited me to watch him fly his gas powered cessna, but I didn't want to fly it in fear of crashing it. I really want to start with a cool looking Jet, but he told me that those are harder to fly. So basically, I was wondering what would be a good starter jet or plane for me? My favorite jet is the SR 71, but Ijust don't know what to choose....

Thank You
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
jr05

Default RE: Choosing My First Plane

I would probably get something other than a jet to start out. You may be fine with a jet, but you might not and get frustrated.

I had great luck with a Mountain Models Magpie with both the regular and "sport" wings. Started with the regular wings using 3 channels, then put on the sport wing when i got the hang of it and went to 4 channels. Plane flies great and when you outgrow it, you can convert it to an AP plane to take some photos with.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 AM
mazjag

If you start with a jet your first flight is gonna be measure in seconds..Your gonna have to start with something slower and uglier than that. Your gonna have to get some kind of high wing trainer type plane..Such as a Parkzone or Hobbyzone plane. Jets are cool, but the ones I have seen at our club have only been attempted by the better pilots and they look like they have their hands full with using the whole runway for takeoff and landings and high speeds jet fly at...good luck...J
Old 11-27-2010, 01:20 PM
DoughGnat

One plane that looks good for starters is the SuperCub. It has the anti-crash technology and pretty stable flying. Would this bea good plane to start with?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM
mazjag

much better..I`m unsure on how that anti-crash stuff works.. Kinda goofy if you ask me.. If you want to learn to fly and have a friend that can, then your half way home. Do a little research and find something like that Cub and see what you can get parts for easy where you live. I learned on a Parkzone J-3 cub, but there is ton of others. A simulator works wonders to get you going as well. Have your buddy get your plane up and trimmed out for you and then hand you the transmitter...All the planes you start with have a few things in common...high wing, dihedral (v in the wing), low power and durability....J
Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Leisure_Shoot

Anti Crash technology is very bad. It uses light sensors mounted on top and bottom of plane. It expects there to be dark on the bottom and bright on the top. If that doesn't occur, it cuts power to motr, and cuts servo controls. It relies on the Super Cub's tendency to return to straight and level flight when left alone.

Problem is, when you need control when you get into a bad situation, with little altitude, that is right when Super Cub cuts your throttle and servo control.

The Super Cub is a great starter plane. I have taught myself to fly on it. It's cheap to repair, and resistent to crash damage.