Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Help Me Size a Motor, Battery and BEC

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Help Me Size a Motor, Battery and BEC

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
heavydriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Size a Motor, Battery and BEC

I'm an electric noob. I'm a long time slimer and gasser 3d guy that was given this electric bird. It has what i think is a gear driven 400 can motor on it that was powered by a heavy nicad pack.-Anyway this power setup doesn't cut it. It barely can get out of it's own way. Wingspan is 32 1/2" by 11" chord. Stab is 13" x 5" and weighs about 3/4 lb without battery. Can any of you spark chasser wizoes give me a recommendation of a motor, prop, controller and lipos that I can install to make this bird come alive and be real aerobatic? (Cheap Hobby King is good since I'm just trying out the electric deal)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86801.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1540925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86952.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1540926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12532.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1540927  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM
heavydriver

Default RE: Help Me Size a Motor, Battery and BEC

Sorry about the photo size. I thought that they were small. -Maybe RCU is wonked out?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Given the weight of your plane, I recommend the following for a bargain priced setup:

- this Towerpro outrunner http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=2046
- this lipo 3S nanotech battery: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=11903
- and a small 30A ESC like this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6460
- using this particular motor on 3S, you need a prop around 7x6 like this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=5436

This setup with two of the batteries and two props would cost $42 plus $10 shipping. It will give you over 200 watts, and flight times of 10+ minutes if you don't go crazy.

There are alos similar motors available with lower kv (say 1000 or 1200), which might be cheaper and a bit less powerful. They would probably be suited to a 9x5 or 9x6 prop.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
heavydriver

OK, -Sounds like a plan. Just a question and I'm totally eflight clueless here, but you recommended an APC 7x6 and I noticed that the motor specs showed an 8x5 or 8x4 APC. Was the smaller diameter you spec'd, to allow the motor to spin up?-Just learning here.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Excellent suggestions!!
I'm currently running the same 2409 12T on two of my planes. Both are by MS Composite, one is a bipe and one is a single wing. I am also using that same esc, but I prefer Master Airscrew props, I've had good luck with them so far.
Like this one.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8045
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Franco2fly

Wheel nut,
You flying that thing indoors?  I got out on Friday and flew at Occoquan St. park.  Only flew for about a half hour, but wasn't too cold.

Maybe we can meet there next time the temp is in excess of 48 or 49?

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Wheelnut

Hey Franco, No not flying anything but micros indoors. The stuff I posted above flies outside in good weather
Hope we can fly soon.

Friday, I took a buddy to a local school field and we flew about 6 of my micros. He learned on the PZ UM Cub, then he took right to my PZ UM T-28. It is a great 4CH trainer.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Franco2fly

I'm sure you would like the space of Occoquan...  it is down 123 towards Woodbridge.  You enter the park just before crossing the river (Occoquan town is across the river on the right side).  You will see the park on the left, its clearly marked. Drive all the way down into the park, and turn right towards the Ball cages.  On the left there's 2 back to back soccer fields.  I fly over them turning right over a wooded area and the boat storage lot and come back along a baseball field.  I am hoping that once things dry out I can use the hard pack between 2nd base and 1st as a takeoff run.  I just wish there was a little more room.

KKKKFL
Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Wheelnut

Franco,
I try not to fly around soccer fields anymore. Too many times I've drove to a field and soccer players are either there or show up while I'm flying. I don't mind it so much when the field is only 10 or 15min away.
Plus that is farther away than my club field in Chantilly.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: heavydriver

OK, -Sounds like a plan. Just a question and I'm totally eflight clueless here, but you recommended an APC 7x6 and I noticed that the motor specs showed an 8x5 or 8x4 APC. Was the smaller diameter you spec'd, to allow the motor to spin up?-Just learning here.
My suggestions were just an option - you could run a lower pitch 8" prop - might actually be better, as the larger prop will blow more air over the wings at a slower speed, facilitating 3D. On the same thinking, Towerpro and Turnigy both make similar motors with a Kv of 1000 or 1200 - slightly less powerful, but more than adequate. With those motors, you might use a prop of 9x6 or 9x7 or 10x4.7. You can experiment to see what works best for you, but if possible check every setup with a watt meter, to avoid a melt-down and to see what power you are getting. If you use too much prop you will see a significant reduction in flight times, and if you use too little you will be at full throttle all the time.

I used to have a Parkflyers GeeBee which I rebuilt (a few times) and I ran it with a 1000 kv TowerPro bell motor and a 10x4.7 slow flyer prop. It pulled 212 watts and with an all up weight of 14 ounces the performance was amusingly absurd. I am very sorry to say it got out of range and took a dip in the swamp, and they don't seem to make them anymore except as a total package with a radio etc. I still look at the wreckage hanging up in my garage and try to persuade myself to rebuild a lot of small pieces of foam into another GeeBee, but my skills and patience are not up for it.

Good luck with your project!...Chris