Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

E-flite Hawker Hurricane !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-flite Hawker Hurricane !!!

Hi dmustangman.

Great to enjoy the presence of a new fellow HH HH enthusiast! My favorite procedure when landing the Hurricane if I can just control my excitement level, is to apply half flaps at a "guestimated" distance for touching down in front of me while adjusting low speed throttle. Click high rate elevator, and as she gets closer, dump full flaps, throttle back enough to get some sink, and ease up elevator to sink to touch down. Once you are sure the ship is not going to become airborne again slam in full up elevator while chopping the throttle to zero power. I don't always get it right.

Good luck.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of
Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling -
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852
(Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight -
www.goodfight.com
__________________________________________________ _________

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY -
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
__________________________________________________ __________
The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with
technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA
BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are
going to have in the future of flight!

http://www.ecocarforum.com/ev-forums...t_a_recha.html

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some
great information about thorium plasma batteries.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM
dmustangman

Thanks for the Info now i need to see if i have dual flap rates on my DX6. I'm still new to some of this.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Chucksolo69

Is it the DX6 or the DX6i. The DX6i has no dual flap switch, they are either on or off. The DX7s has a two position flap switch, the DX8 a 3 postion switch.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
dmustangman

Thanks for the information. I do have the DX6I I quess it will be trial and error for now. I have a RV9 on a Futaba radio and only have on /off with
it which is fine.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Jaybird

Maidened mine today at lunch time from the local soccer field. The field was wet and there was a rather blustery wind, but it went okay. It was airborne without much trouble from the soft ground but it did get tossed around quite a bit. Flies a lot faster than I thought it would even at partial throttle. two clicks of left aileron and it was flying straight and level. It took two tries to get it slowed down enough to land. The flaps help a lot. It did nose over in the wet grass but it didn't hurt anything. Retracts are on order!

Jaybird
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
dmustangman

Congrants on the maiden,I'm ready just can't catch a good day. Its nice when at work rains when i'm off thats life.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Jaybird

I had three more quick flights after work at the local model (mud) field. The wind was still blustery but not as strong. My third flight was almost a disaster when I lost control of it. It was downwind turning final when I deployed the flaps and looked at my transmitter to find the switch (I don't use flaps on any other of my planes). A gust came up and the turbulence near the trees rolled it over and it was headed towards the ground and low bushes. I did three crazy rolling loops getting lower and closer to the trees each time. Some how I got it pointed up and powered my way back into the sky. As soon as I leveled off I brought the power back and brought it in for a landing which ended in a nose-over of course. Whew! I had added a little more up elevator travel after the second flight to try and help keep the tail on the ground during the take-off run and that combined with the flaps may have been the issue. It was a crazy ride and I'm lucky to still have it in one piece. Retrieval would have been tough as that area is a swamp anyway and with the extra water it would have been quite wet. The trees would have done a job on it too I'm sure.

Anyway, it lives to fly again and I'll see what the weekend brings.

Jaybird.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM
dmustangman

Anytime you bringem home in one piece ,its a good day of flying for me! What battery are you using ? I've only got the Eflite battery that came with it but need to get a couple exrtra, but Efite
are costly.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Jaybird

I'm using the the one that came with it as well. I want to make sure I'm comfortable with this plane before I spend too much more money on it. I flew it again on Saturday at the other club field which is more open, but the gusty winds were still a problem. The plane seems to get kicked around a lot and I'm not sure if it's just the air or if there is a balance problem. It balances at the forward edge of the "squares" on the top of the wing which is where it's supposed to. It does get hard to see at a distance and to know whether it's banking away or towards you so it keeps you on your toes. I'm wondering if the new Parkzone AS3X receiver system might help calm it down a little.

Here are a couple of action shots. Photos by Joe Gilbert.

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24779.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	1868735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94966.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1868736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24553.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1868737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43333.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1868738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34736.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1868739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18563.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1868740  
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a recommendation with regard to balance? The directions say 3.5 to 3.75" behind the leading edge. It is still nose heavy when I have the battery back to the receiver. I noticed one person suggested placing the battery 3/4" behind the front stop. I also emailed Horizon about the one strap. They claim it is supposed to only have one, but I bought a few different packs of straps from Horizon and one seems to fit pretty good. Can;t believe how good the plane looks. Almost as good as the Spitfire....haha.

Thank you

belairbob
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Jaybird

THERE IS AN UPDATE TO THE MANUAL! The instructions are incorrect as written. There should have been an addendum and if you look on-line at the E-Flite website for the Hurricane you will see that is basically the two small squares just back from the leading edge that mark the proper area. It's also been discussed earlier in this thread.

Hawker Hurricane 25e PNP
Bulletins
There is a change in the manual regarding the location of the center of gravity (CG) for the Hawker Hurricane 25e.

The manual states that the balance point for the airplane is located 3.50 to 3.75 inches (89 to 95mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the wing root. This is incorrect.

The proper location for the CG is 2.50 to 3.00 inches (64 to 76 mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the root.

An easy way to measure this balance point is to locate the small squares molded onto the top of the wing towards the wing root.

Jaybird
Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM
dmustangman

Very nice pics you posted, They really got me to want to fly mine right away even more. Thanks for the info on the C.G.I read on you tube that one person moved the battery 3/4" back further
to stop the nose over on landings and another said to balance at those squares.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Jaybird
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Jaybird

I have a 1/2" thick stiff foam spacer at the end of the battery slot to move it back a bit. I also added a thin strip of velcro to the plastic battery mount/tray and to the back side of the battery pack. Although the manual shows a velcro battery strap, mine didn't have one so I added that as well. I may try moving the battery back another 1/4" and see if that helps with stability and reducing nose-overs. The Spektrum AR635 with the built in AS3X stability system is pretty pricey so I'll give it a few more flights in calmer air before I go that route. There were a couple of the ParkZone Visionaires at the field on Saturday and the AS3X system is very impressive especially in the blustery wind conditions. They looked like they were "on rails" right side up, upside down, knife edge or what ever else they were doing.

Jaybird
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Jaybird

I picked up (and paid for of course) the EFLG200 retract set, EFL297519 pre-bent wire struts and the EFL297518 retract covers along with (2) 12" servo extensions. The kit includes straight wire gear and adjustable axles, but the pre-bent ones looked like a good option and leaves the stock ones for another project. There is also a short standard gauge Y connector included. I had picked up a small gauge wire ParkZone Y connector and will see which one fits better.

This will be next weekends project as it looks much too windy to fly this model.

Jaybird
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
dmustangman

I added retracts when i put my HH together. Its not difficult at all. I followed ChuckTSeeker's instructions on YouTube. He has some good tips on this and others.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Jaybird

Spent some time with them last night and I have a problem with one of them. Either the purchased pre-bent wire has a flaw or the barrel that the wire mounts into inside the retract is in the wrong position. I had removed the included straight wires but in the process on the first one I removed one set screw and then then the leg not realizing the barrel was then free to spin. I reinserted the leg to get the other set screw out and I'm hoping that if I rotate the barrel 180 degrees it will operate properly. Currently that one when retracted doesn't travel as far into the wheel well as the one where I removed the leg and set screws correctly and the spring coil hits the motor housing. I tried putting some spacers under the retract unit but it didn't make any difference. I'll play with it some more and see it I can get it to work as well as the other one.

Jaybird
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
mad web tv scientist

Great show everybody! Your influence has forced me to check everything to see if I could figure out why my HH HH flies as well as it does with its 85 mm CG distance from the wing leading edge (virtually identical to that shown in my Instruction manual). First of all, congratulations on saving your machine, Jaybird, and thanks for the pictures that are always nice.

Careful measurements show that I am using less elevator deflection angles and both elevators (I use separate servos with each elevator) and ailerons are adjusted with much higher Expo than recommended. As an interesting aside my flaps are adjusted with almost double the recommended deflection angles - 40mm half flaps, and 70mm full flaps - looks like full scale and definitely has a slowing effect for landings. The larger diameter lower pitch props I am using not only slows the big beast (like you, BelAirBob, I love its appearance too, in addition to its history) but also provides good vertical performance above and beyond anything the full scale version could do with stock props.

Given its costs, most of my flying will be done with the much more cost effective "real" park flyers. It will fly on
special occasions but be enjoyed mostly as it hangs majestically in my garage pulling lead on the killer Messerschmitt positioned at twelve o'clock high on anything that dares to enter my garage.

Out.

www.goodfight.com
__________________________________________________ __________________________________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
mad web tv scientist

Flew the HH HH in turbulent 21 mph winds today and suffered unexpected tip stalling instability problems. Shoving the battery almost as far forward as possible and/or adding some nose weight should settle the beast down under the conditions experienced today. I added a velcro strap to the front of the plastic structure that has a space open for an additional velcro strap to hold the battery in a more forward position.

The APC 14X7 E cut down to 13.5 inches seems to be just right for the Hurricane, very nice vertical performance for any warbird maneuvers as well as some maneuvers above and beyond the capabilty of anything the full scale machine could fly.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

NEAR HURRICANE DISASTER YESTERDAY

Camo works! I failed to notice that I was wearing my reading glasses during the test flight of my almost stock PZ 109. Except for the lack of vertical thrust that should be corrected by a higher C battery and maybe a prop change, the little ship (compared to the good scale size relationship with the Hurricane) landed beautifully on the rough ground with its almost 70% greater flap area (can be seen on my CALL TO GLORY web site - below).

Much like weather over England during the early days of WWII the Hurricane tended to be very hard to see at altitude. I suddenly noticed that I was seeing double. Oh no! The wrong glasses - now I'm in trouble.l

I should have brought the plane in immediately but I thought I could handle the situation and I might have had I not allowed utter stark terror to influence me to increase altitude into the thin wispy clouds where it TOTALLY disappeared at around 80 degrees overhead. I vainly searched for anything that might be my airplane in the treacherous sky. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye a dark object appeared flying straight down in front of more solid white clouds down around 20 degrees and maybe a second or so from impending disaster. Reflexes kicked in. The ship was brought back to a more visable range. I managed to get high rate elevator clicked (you wouldn't believe how often I forget to flip that switch), first half flap then full flaps as she "swished" by me. Oh no, poor touch down! She went up on her spinner and almost flipped over on her back. Shaken, I made my way over to a hobby shop and found out where the real club airport was with nice runways so there will be no more excuses for bad landings.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Jaybird

Had my first flight with the retracts installed on Saturday. All the systems worked fine and it was a successful flight. I do find this plane harder to fly than any of my other models both larger and smaller. It doesn't seem as stable in the roll axis as I'd like to be and even though it balances right in the middle "of the squares" it feels like it's ready to drop a wing at any moment. I do have some expo on the ailerons but perhaps it needs more to calm it dowm. The weather was much better than any other flight day and that helped some. My only other WWII warbird is an E-Flite P-38 electric which is increadibly stable and comfortable to fly throughout it's wide speed range. I guess I was hoping this would be similar but it is much heavier and not a whole lot larger wingspan.

Any thoughts on changing the balance or some other aspect to improve flight or is this how this plane behaves?

Jaybird
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
mad web tv scientist

quote]ORIGINAL: Jaybird

Had my first flight with the retracts installed on Saturday. All the systems worked fine and it was a successful flight. I do find this plane harder to fly than any of my other models both larger and smaller. It doesn't seem as stable in the roll axis as I'd like to be and even though it balances right in the middle ''of the squares'' it feels like it's ready to drop a wing at any moment. I do have some expo on the ailerons but perhaps it needs more to calm it dowm. The weather was much better than any other flight day and that helped some. My only other WWII warbird is an E-Flite P-38 electric which is increadibly stable and comfortable to fly throughout it's wide speed range. I guess I was hoping this would be similar but it is much heavier and not a whole lot larger wingspan.

Any thoughts on changing the balance or some other aspect to improve flight or is this how this plane behaves?

Jaybird
[/quote]

Hey Chuck! Great post! Engagements in other sectors of the air war had me bogged down and it has taken some time to fly back and analyze your situation. I sustained some heavy battle damage in my defense of the Burma Spitfires, but I'm back now and am ready to scramble.

I found that adjusing the ailerons approximately 1/8th inch up for normal level flight and adjusting the servo arms forward thus providing differential deflection with almost no down and a lot of up seems to help tame the beast down nicely. Yes, more expo can help also. My CG on the last flight in variable 5-15 MPH winds was adjusted to just behind the little squares. Had I been able to see the plane clearly I could have enjoyed the flight. I've ordered new glasses so I won't make the same mistake again that I reported about on my last terrifying mission.

I'm running fixed gear bent forward some to help minimize nose over tendencies. I'm not sure how much/if my set up would make any difference from yours.

Out.

__________________________________________________ ______
www.goodfight.com

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Jaybird

I put in a 1/2" thick stiff foam spacer in the battery slot and taped another 1/2" spacer to end of the battery so I can adjust it easily. I also added more exponential to the ailerons and limited their travel slightly (I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head). It handled very well in the air and flew very smoothly. It looked like the landing would stay upright until I hit a dip in the grass and it nosed over, but didn't flip. The balance point was towards the front edge of the squares and is now towards the back edge. I would still like to find a better way to mount the speed control as it seems that being in the foam slot traps a lot of heat. My thought is to velcro it to the top of the battery pack so that it's at least exposed to the air. Any thoughts on better cooling? I've seen the efforts to route cooling air with straws and such but I'm not sure that I can modify mine to have an exit at this point.

Jaybird
Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
mad web tv scientist

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I put in a 1/2'' thick stiff foam spacer in the battery slot and taped another 1/2'' spacer to end of the battery so I can adjust it easily. I also added more exponential to the ailerons and limited their travel slightly (I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head). It handled very well in the air and flew very smoothly. It looked like the landing would stay upright until I hit a dip in the grass and it nosed over, but didn't flip. The balance point was towards the front edge of the squares and is now towards the back edge. I would still like to find a better way to mount the speed control as it seems that being in the foam slot traps a lot of heat. My thought is to velcro it to the top of the battery pack so that it's at least exposed to the air. Any thoughts on better cooling? I've seen the efforts to route cooling air with straws and such but I'm not sure that I can modify mine to have an exit at this point

Jaybird
It's great to see you dealing with the unique challenges the Hurricane provides. Technology is in the process of making us the last of the few. Our consolation is the satisfaction of knowing that we were able to accept the challenge of fine tuning a stability critical scale fighter plane for optimum performance.

SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelop) technology should create explosive interest in modeling. I already have two (2) new smaller size ships in my sights that should work perfectly as "attention getting" teaching aids for my science/spiritual truth agenda. The "big birds" will serve in my Air Force as special purpose weapons.

Okay, I kind of like your idea of using Velcro to attach the ESC. Small squares of Velcro at three or four points on the batteries should be a very practical way to not only attach and replace the battery, but provide good cooling between the battery and the ESC.

In addition to what has been previously discussed, your post has inspired me to add a discrete 1/2 inch or so angled back hole behind the tail wheel like I have done on my newest PZ Corsairs and my Spit.

Some information got lost in the translation here. I shall return.

Okay, let's see if this will post.

I really can't figure out why my original statements here were "lost in translation." So to be as inspirational as possible about modeling in the future, I must confess total confidence in the unstoppable positive progress of culture in which modeling will surely play a roll. There are forces at work even as we type that virtually guarantee a better future. (YEAH!!!)

Out.

www.goodfight.com
__________________________________________________ _________________
__________________________________________________ _________________

Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
mad web tv scientist

Unintentional redundant post while trying to edit strange effects out of original post. See next post to see these effects.

Last edited by mad web tv scientist; 09-20-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Unintentional redundant post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.