Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Too many choices, too little time....

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Too many choices, too little time....

Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Too many choices, too little time....

Here is my quandry. I have 5 acres out in the country where I live, lots of open sky to fly, its the ground handling that has me concerned. Right now I can fly my UM T-28 out there, no problem hand launched, it lands like a bird, soft and slow. Problem is, any sort of wind, and it gets windy by me, and I cant fly. I need a bigger bird, but I dont want to go the Nitro route, too much money involved, and the noise is inconducive to my horses, I don't want them getting hurt when the motor fires up and scares them.

The ground is short grass, but rough, I tried to smooth it down, but its hard clay and rather bumpy, it at one time was a corn field. This would make take offs and landings rather hairy since the plane would be bouncing all over the place. So out of the electric planes that are either BNF or RTF, I dont have time to build one, nor the space, I just want to go and fly, the ones recommended to me by my two LHS are the PZ Corsair, the T-28 or the Apprentice 15E. Of the 3, my most fav bird is the Corsair, always has been since Baa Baa Blacksheep hit the airways. I like my little T-28, and can fly it OK, as long as there is no wind, even had a couple really picture perfect landings, although not where I would have like to land it, still working on putting it where I want it, you know, orientation, but the tricycle gear had to be removed, it was causign damage to the nose everytime I brought it in. That leaves me to question whether or not the larger T-28 would hold up on landing on my rough ground, doesnt look like there is enough room up front for a larger nose wheel. He said best practice for that would to bring it in like a tail dragger, with the tail down, but Im still concerned of it flipping when the nose does come down, also takeoffs would be hairy. Same holds with the 15E, although it looks like larger tires would be easy to put on it, the nose gear would stil be my achilles. This leaves the Corsair since it is a tail dragger, it would be less likely to be an issue, but it would also be more prone to flipping. ALternative would be to remove the gear altogether and belly land it, which means I would only be able to hand launch, and not do touch n goes, but the rough ground would make that hard too. If I want taller grass to land in, the field next to me has hay growing in it, and can make for nice soft crashes.

So out of the 3 listed, which would be my best choice? The 15E would be my last choice, since I'm already flying the UM T-28, it would be like going backwards. I have put a lot of thought into a more expensive E-Flight, the T-34 Mentor, but would rather keep the cost down. T-28, with larger mains, and tail drag land it, or Corsair with larger wheels and hope I can keep the nose out of the grass, or pull the gear off altogether and belly flop it? The Corsair and T-28 both fit my price range, under $300, the 15E would put me over budget, which adds to it being last resort.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Angel727
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Too many choices, too little time....

I have a T28 and it handles rought runways good. You can always get tires with softer compounds to modify your landing gear to the conditions of your field. Also, I will suggest to prepare an area to be use for landing. you can level it off and use the soft short grass that you have (might be Kentucky blue grass) for your aircraft.

BTW my next choice will be a F4U Corsair for my son. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
acdii

Well, decision has been made, plane purchased, and partially assembled. My wife decided for me. We stopped at the LHS on the way home from work last night so I could show her my choices and gain her input. She liked the red and white one, which turned out to be the T-34, and now that Ihave it home and have the wing on an larger wheels, I can see if will have very little issues with ground handling. I'm going to see if I can contact an old flying friend of mine for the check ride, and get some stick time in before I start flying it on my farm. Now just need a couple batts, and a decent charger, really stinks that you can only charge the battery from the car with the included charger. It came with the cigarette plug instead of battery clamps, so Ihave to go get a female socket to connect to my 12 V poer supply.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:57 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Good to hobbypartz.com and look a chargers. There pretty cheap. It will make charging much faster, which means you can fly more. Scoot
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 AM
acdii

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Good to hobbypartz.com and look a chargers. There pretty cheap. It will make charging much faster, which means you can fly more. Scoot
It just so happens that Ihad that site up looking for batteries, are the ones they sell any good? They have some 3000's for $16.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Congrats on your new plan! Moving forward to your next plane, I'd suggest considering Great Planes ElectroStik EP RXR - It is a time tested plane that can take a rough surface field with out issues. This is not the best looking plane around but a is user friendly and can do pretty much what you have the nerve to try. Check it out at Tower Hobbies at this link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTZ8&P=ML

You can do a google search for reviews and youtube videos on this plane. Our flying field has been carved out of the desert floor, and after many passes with the drag and tractor we have access too, it is still what I call a "barn stormer's field". The planes with tiny wheels don't do very well on this kind of surface. Thus, my suggestion. There are several other good planes with good strong landing gear and larger tires to choose from.

Hope you enjoy your new plane!

Boomer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx70111.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1613460  
Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
acdii

Well, I think I found a pair of batts and a charger, Gen Ace 3300 3S 25c, and AC680 charger for $108. Problem is I have to convert everything to Deans, but the dang charger doesn't have a Deans connector. grr, I'll have to pick up another male plug.  The batts all come with 4.0 banana connectors, and the T-34 has EC3 style.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM
phillipmorris

T34 Mentor is a beauty, believe you have the E-Flite, yet to have mine out this year as still windy, but flying a Flyzone Corvalis, not big enough wheels for your needs but pavement landings are something else, it comes in like a dream.

Back to the Mentor I have preset slight flaps and its also super on landings, will take grass landings quite well, this is one you can correct 3 times before touchdown, same handling as the Corvalis, love both of these ships, Corvalis has lights and extend into Night Flying.

Hope your doing well...keep us posted..

BEST ....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
acdii

Still working on the plane, and yes its the Eflite Mentor. My soldering gun has a dead tip, the one needed to solder the Deans plugs on to the batteries with. The only tip still working is for electronics and doesnt get hot fast enough for the wires. Going to pick one up from Sears that should work well, same type as my Blue Point R450, but has 2 wire tips instead. Igot a canopy latch installed so I dont need to worry about the canopy blowing off like so many others had happen, and just need to adjust the elevator servo, Iwould have to screw out the clevis too far to get it neutral, so Iwill adjust the arm instead. Iinstalled a flap servo, and still need to adjust that, if Ican ever find my steel ruler. Ifound an aluminum case at Menards for my radio, charger and batteries too, and for $10, a tool box that will hold repair stuff, like the monokote iron, and heat gun, along with tools and other things for quick field repairs.

Sunday the weather was good for flying, and I got a few packs through my little UM T-28, and had a blast. Love the field repair kit needed for that plane, a roll of packing tape and a knife. Used it too after a fly bit my arm and Icrashed it. Looks like eventually I may need to replace the Fuse on it, but for $14, I think its worth it.