Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

New to flying. Recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New to flying. Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Andyjk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to flying. Recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I've been into RC cars for a number of years and thought it was about time I took to the skies. I'm looking for a durable, affordable park flier, nothing too fancy or fast, but something that I can learn but also have fun on. I've been looking on Hobbyking and have seen a few good ones but really don't know much about them so I thought I'd ask first before I made any decisions.

I have a huge park across from where I live, so area is not a problem. I already have a charger that will do LiPo's and NiMh battereis and have a Tx/Rx in mind but ultimately, if I could get a kit with them included, that'd be ideal.

So basically, any suggestions as to what I should look at would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Andyjk

Default RE: New to flying. Recommendations?

This is what I've looked at so far-

Hobbyzone Champ

Hobbyzone Mini Super Cab

The Champ seems to be a really good beginner.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
mazjag

Parkzone Cub J-3 Cub.....Its easy to fly and comes with everything for like 160.00, but you`ll want a couple of extra battery packs...Its a tough little plane, but heavy enough to handle some wind.. Horizon or your local hobby shop have most parts for when you crash and parts are cheap as well...Most people could teach themselves to fly with this plane...jason
Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I have to disagree, the J-3 is not a good one to start with, it's a little too fast and responsive for most beginners. The HZ Super Cub would be a better choice, it's much tougher, easier to fly, and easier to repair.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Andyjk

Thanks for the input guys! The Mini Super Cub has some anti-crash thing in it...how effective is it? No doubt it'll be getting a work out.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
nagata

I'd go with the full-size Super Cub rather than the mini, and I would never use the ATC, as it seems to do more harm than good. If you honestly think you're going to get into planes somewhat extensively (as in get a couple planes), I'd get a DX6i controller (DX7 if you want more capability) and a BNF Super Cub. You can use the DX6i with the Cub, teach yourself to fly, and then easily move on to a more advanced model.

I taught myself to fly with an original (non-LiPo) Super Cub, and it was fantastic aside from the crappy RTF Tx/Rx, which I quickly ditched for a DX6i and AR500. I never used the ATC feature. Flying is addicting, and I now have the Cub, a Corsair (now rebuilt after a catastrophic wing failure), a MS Composit Unique (ARF that I built), a T-28, and most recent aquisition (haven't even had the chance to maiden it) is a Habu. I REALLY enjoy flying, it's tremendously more challenging and fun than my previous R/C cars were.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: nagata

I'd go with the full-size Super Cub rather than the mini, and I would never use the ATC, as it seems to do more harm than good. If you honestly think you're going to get into planes somewhat extensively (as in get a couple planes), I'd get a DX6i controller (DX7 if you want more capability) and a BNF Super Cub. You can use the DX6i with the Cub, teach yourself to fly, and then easily move on to a more advanced model.

I taught myself to fly with an original (non-LiPo) Super Cub, and it was fantastic aside from the crappy RTF Tx/Rx, which I quickly ditched for a DX6i and AR500. I never used the ATC feature. Flying is addicting, and I now have the Cub, a Corsair (now rebuilt after a catastrophic wing failure), a MS Composit Unique (ARF that I built), a T-28, and most recent aquisition (haven't even had the chance to maiden it) is a Habu. I REALLY enjoy flying, it's tremendously more challenging and fun than my previous R/C cars were.

The only problem is cost. The super cub is obviously more expensive than the mini. Plus I could get the mini super cub or the Champ for cheaper than the DX6i controller. I'm only starting out, so I dont want something overly advanced. If I enjoy it that much that I want something more advanced then I'll look into getting something better then, but for now, I'm really looking for something simple. But, knowing me, my obsession with anything RC will probably see my collection of planes grow quickly, just like it has with the cars.

When you say the ATC does more harm then good, how so? Is it because it more or less takes control of your plane, causing you to lose control again? (If you know what I mean lol)

thanks heaps for your help!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 PM
nagata

Well, I would recommend spending the little extra to get the RTF full-size Super Cub. It's bigger and has more power, so it's going to behave better, it's going to handle more wind, and it's going to give you a better feel for the average, 'full-size' ParkZome plane. Just a much better first plane foundation IMO.

As I said, I never used the ATC feature, since everyone I talked to said it did no good. What I've read/heard is that it easily gets 'confused' and will take over control to try and 'correct' the flight path when it's not necessary. Honestly, with the Super Cub, so long as you're flying normally and have enough altitude, letting go of the stick completely will result in the plane self-correcting and leveling out; it's a product of the dihedral wing.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: nagata

Well, I would recommend spending the little extra to get the RTF full-size Super Cub. It's bigger and has more power, so it's going to behave better, it's going to handle more wind, and it's going to give you a better feel for the average, 'full-size' ParkZome plane. Just a much better first plane foundation IMO.

As I said, I never used the ATC feature, since everyone I talked to said it did no good. What I've read/heard is that it easily gets 'confused' and will take over control to try and 'correct' the flight path when it's not necessary. Honestly, with the Super Cub, so long as you're flying normally and have enough altitude, letting go of the stick completely will result in the plane self-correcting and leveling out; it's a product of the dihedral wing.

Argh there are so many choices! Haha
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I say get yourself a nice 3 channel micro plane, like the Champ, my son is leaning GREAT on it.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

not sure how windy it is in Sidney, the mini cub is good, but not in wind. The full size Super Cub is going to give you more flying days since it will handle 5 to 10mph wind just fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

not sure how windy it is in Sidney, the mini cub is good, but not in wind. The full size Super Cub is going to give you more flying days since it will handle 5 to 10mph wind just fine.
I'm not worried about the wind. If it's windy, I wont fly, or I'll get out one of my off-roaders and have a drive!

I think I'm leaning towards the Champ
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Wheelnut

I know it's not the same for everyone, but my biggest mistake when I was a beginner, was to not worry about the wind. I would fly anyway and crash and get very frustrated. I actually crashed over 4 ARF planes that I built, got mad and got out of planes for a long time. It was only when the micros came out that I got interested again. Bought the Vapor and said, "WOW!! This is easy!!" then I graduated to the PZ micro Cessna, then bought the micro Citabria. Then I went with the HZ Phantom for a little larger 3 ch plane. It was too easy. Then I got the Exceed Cub, great easy flyer. Then I upgraded it to Brushless, what a blast that was. Then I bought some more PZ micros. Then I build the MS Composite Unique as a 4 ch trainer. Great plane that is. Then I build the MS Composite Pitts Bipe, another great plane. Then I bought an AT-6. Crashed it a few times and realized I wasn’t ready for it. So I got the PZ Wildcat. Man that is one great flyer and is still one of my favorites. Recently built a GWS Formosa which is in my top two favorites.
I consider myself a fairly good pilot and I still don't like to fly on days with 10mph or higher winds.

With a plane like the champ it really doesn't matter that much anyway. Just make sure you’re flying over grass, get some altitude, and if you get into some trouble, cut the throttle and do your best to glide her down. A rough landing in grass won't do much of anything to a light plane like the Champ and other micros. That's what makes it such a great trainer.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

I know it's not the same for everyone, but my biggest mistake when I was a beginner, was to not worry about the wind. I would fly anyway and crash and get very frustrated. I actually crashed over 4 ARF planes that I built, got mad and got out of planes for a long time. It was only when the micros came out that I got interested again. Bought the Vapor and said, ''WOW!! This is easy!!'' then I graduated to the PZ micro Cessna, then bought the micro Citabria. Then I went with the HZ Phantom for a little larger 3 ch plane. It was too easy. Then I got the Exceed Cub, great easy flyer. Then I upgraded it to Brushless, what a blast that was. Then I bought some more PZ micros. Then I build the MS Composite Unique as a 4 ch trainer. Great plane that is. Then I build the MS Composite Pitts Bipe, another great plane. Then I bought an AT-6. Crashed it a few times and realized I wasn’t ready for it. So I got the PZ Wildcat. Man that is one great flyer and is still one of my favorites. Recently built a GWS Formosa which is in my top two favorites.
I consider myself a fairly good pilot and I still don't like to fly on days with 10mph or higher winds.

With a plane like the champ it really doesn't matter that much anyway. Just make sure you’re flying over grass, get some altitude, and if you get into some trouble, cut the throttle and do your best to glide her down. A rough landing in grass won't do much of anything to a light plane like the Champ and other micros. That's what makes it such a great trainer.
When I say I'm not worried about the wind I don't mean that I'm going to fly in the wind anyway, I mean that if it is windy, it's not a problem, I just wont fly.

I think I'm goping to go with the Champ.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Wheelnut

No worries, but you mis understood me. I was merely stating what I went through. No comparison to what you said was meant.

I'm sure you will be happy with your choice.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Andyjk

Ahhh k no worries mate! Thanks for the input!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Andyjk

Just bought a Champ. Excited. Can't wait. I'll be sure to get some video of my maiden flight when it arrives. I bought a Turnigy mini digi cam for my cars and have seen some footage of Champ's flying with cameras attached. Didn't think they'd be able to carry any extra weight?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Wheelnut

Sweet bro! get some flying in when you can.
Yes it will carry a keychain cam. Just make sure to keep the COG where it is.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Andyjk

Yeah well the camera I got is only 57x21x19mm so it is fairly tiny and it doesnt weigh much. It'd be good to get some footage of it trailing one of my cars!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Saburo Sakai

Check out the "Official HZ Champ" thread under this same category. Quite a loyal following. As long as 'Roos and wombats don't attack the color yellow you should do most excellently with the bird.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
NickMcEnjoy

I would go with something slow, small, and indestructible, like the Night Vapor or the Ember II. You can only fly conventional 40-size at the field, mini at the park. With the micro, you can fly even in your bedroom . Most of the time you will find you fly those tiny aircraft in the parking lot. No fear, any kind.
I used to fly 40-size gas at the field every sunday. Now I can fly at home every day
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM
macz

The champ was my first plane coming from cars..but I was flying helis..and now I love planes plan on getting the t28 ultra micro...
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

Check out the ''Official HZ Champ'' thread under this same category. Quite a loyal following. As long as 'Roos and wombats don't attack the color yellow you should do most excellently with the bird.

Lol there aren't any kangaroos or wombats in Sydney, it's the magpies I should worry about. There are quite a few guys who fly planes in the park across the road from me and I've seen birds chase them a few times haha
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Saburo Sakai

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9901662/tm.htm

Check out the video your countrymen made in the link about midway down page one. Looks like red and white to Australian magpies and crows is like blood in the water with sharks!Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of your fellow Aussies.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Wheelnut

I looked for the video you mentioned on that link, but have no idea which vid your talking about. I have sent all the vids on that page and I can't make sense out of what your talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.