Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

First RC Plane - Park Flier? Foam? Help

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

First RC Plane - Park Flier? Foam? Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First RC Plane - Park Flier? Foam? Help

I have been flying Air Hog Helicopters and other toys but never a real RCunit.
With my kid being three My outdoor hobbies have become limited and ineed something new.
Over the last month I have look at literally a hundred reviews, suggestions forums etc and think Iam worse of than when Istarted.
I want to get started for around 200$, though I could go higher if reasonable, and have primarily looked at park fliers.
I don't have time to assemble a unit.

Here are my questions:
Is this a reasonable budget?
Are all park fliers made of foam or are there better ones made out of composites/plastics? Unit will have to reside in garage.
I have looked at many units and need sugestions.
So far I have strongly considered the following:
Cessna 182 Pro Series
Edge 540T Brushless Version 2
Dare Devil

Al list for 190$
None of htese are plastic and Ihave no basis for choosing these ohter than some videos and review online at manufacturere web sites.
Can anyone help guide me to a good unit.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM
FreiGuy

Default RE: First RC Plane - Park Flier? Foam? Help

What kind of plane are you looking for? A 3 channel trainer?? HobbyZone SuperCub DSM RTF. It's a great first plane for less than $200.I have both floats and skis formine so I'm good for land, water, and snow.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...f/HBZ7400.html

If you're looking for more of a 4 channel with ailerons, then some of the ParkZone foamies are really nice fliers. I have the T-28 & the P-47. They are more expensive and faster. You can read about any of them on the HobbyZone or Parkzonewebsite.

The foam parkflyers are a great first choice, if you crash them (and you will), a little Gorilla Glue and you're back in the air. The parts are very cheap also to replace.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the park zone cub. You will love it and the first time you fly it you will be hooked. You can also go to a local club around you and I am sure someone will teach you how to fly it and get the basics down. That is what I did bought the park zone cub and went to the local club and that was four years ago and now I have twenty planes.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Rockin Robbins

The real question is "What kind of experience do you have?" If you've never flown an RC plane before, any of the planes you've looked at will be a one-way ticket out of the hobby unless you have constant help from a very experienced flier. Instead you should look at a short list of RTF trainer planes that are proven to train non-assisted newbies, have readily available and affordable parts and are proven over the long run to be truly ready to fly out of the box without essentially having to rebuild the plane to fly.

AEAJR said it best in [link]http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=812299&postcount=3[/link]. Read the three posts starting with the linked one.

Basically put, you have to be VERY careful picking your first plane. You need one that is so good, complete and guaranteed to fly excellently that you are left with only one variable: you need to learn to fly. You have to have absolute trust that the plane is good and any problems rooted in your inexperience in flying. He says it best in his posts and has a short list of suitable planes, the Hobby Zone Super Cub being one of four.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Hobby Zone Super Cub LP from Horizon.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Saburo Sakai

I was gonna say Champ or Ember 2 for a hundred bucks with a transmitter (Horizonhobby.com) but seriously the Super Cub's a winner-see the thread in this forum "parkflyer/backyard..." Avidly loyal following (see Sinai's vids, man). Adaptable bird. Now I gotta get one, too, with water floats so I can land her in the bay when I'm fishing, maybe put a real-time camera in her and spot fish for me, too. Awesome! Thanks dudesyou've given me a new mission now. It never ends, thank God!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
johnnycap18

Defintley go with the Hobbyzone Super Cub LP.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
at101

Where would you want to fly, if it is a back yard get a micro from parkzone. If you have more space than you can get a bigger parkflyer from Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, or Nitro Planes.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
[email protected]

I have within 2 black a set of 5 soccer fields and a few blocks farther a set of soccer football fields at the school where I have lots of room.
Its wide open fields from there and some bike paths for landing if i can hit them!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
at101

I would recommend one of these but you may want to get a sim.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYGM0&P=0

PS I wish I had that much room to fly.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Saburo Sakai

Kmartin,
With your select choice of air space nearby, you were truly BORNTOFLY! Just avoid flying during soccer scrimmage or it could get ugly!
Godspeed!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Nova5

My first is the T28 Trojan UM. No real issues other than one "PULL UP" moment.. while inverted. fortunatly I killed power and it found a nice soft big weedbush to hit. Definatly alot of fun to learn on. though I did come from the Phoenix sim to it. played with lots of planes in that from props to EDFs. there is a major difference between the sim and real... knowing where the ground is. Phoenix lacks a indicator for the ground level.