Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

parkzone servo install

Hi all I'm new to RC and I have a simple question about servo installation.

I got a parkzone p-47 BNF and I've been flying it pretty well (I think). I wanted to install flaps and then later retracts. I got the long lead servos from my LHS. In the manual it says to use doublesided tape or hot glue. Is tape strong enough? I'd think that it'd let go with time/forces to hold those flaps down. What about CA? is there a reason not to use CA?

Also the servos come with the um "lever parts" attached. Do i just find the travel (about 180*) of the servos then center the "lever/arm piece" on the servo(90*)?

-Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: parkzone servo install

ORIGINAL: dalgrim
    Is tape strong enough? I'd think that it'd let go with time/forces to hold those flaps down. What about CA? is there a reason not to use CA?
    I have used double-sided foam tape, known as "servo tape." It works pretty well if the mounting surface is flat and you are careful to clean the mounting surface to remove any grease or dirt. Molded foam or plastic planes may have some residual mold release on their surfaces, so it is important to clean it before attaching the servos.

If you use CA on a foam plane, be sure it is foam-safe CA. Regular CA may attack and melt the foam. To make it easier to remove the servo in the future, wrap the servo with a layer of tape so that you are gluing to the tape rather than directly to the plastic case of the servo.

I have not used CA for mounting servos, but I have used hot glue, which works well, in my experience. It holds firmly, yet you can usually remove the servo if necessary without damaging it. Hot glue works even if the mounting surface is slightly curved, whereas CA needs a flat surface for best results.

ORIGINAL: dalgrim
    Also the servos come with the um ''lever parts'' attached. Do i just find the travel (about 180*) of the servos then center the ''lever/arm piece'' on the servo(90*)?
    Those "lever parts" are called "servo arms." To center a servo, I connect it to the receiver, turn on the transmitter and receiver (ALWAYS turn on the transmitter first, then the receiver), and center the stick for that channel. Center the trim as well. This moves the servo to the center of its range of motion. Now you can attach the servo arm at the angle you want, usually (but not always!) 90 degrees to the body of the servo.

- Jeff
    My other hobby: www.AstronomyBoy.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info! I never thought about removal, I'm new and haven't learned that crashes are a "When" not an "If". I'll be going the hot glue route.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's often said that every R/C plane comes with an expiration date, but you never know when that will be. It might fly for years, or its next flight could be its last one!

Even if you never crash your plane, you may one day want to retire it, remove the flight gear, and use the components in another plane.

- Jeff
    My other hobby: www.AstronomyBoy.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome advice, Jeff! I wanna buy a P-47 now just to install the flaps and retracts, never mind flying the noble beast.
    There are Leaders, followers, and Troublemakers!
    -Capt. J.L.D., U.S.Army (ret.), my dad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jdetray

It's often said that every R/C plane comes with an expiration date, but you never know when that will be. It might fly for years, or its next flight could be its last one!

Even if you never crash your plane, you may one day want to retire it, remove the flight gear, and use the components in another plane.

- Jeff
    Or find, like the UMCorsair I got, doesnt fly well at all, and becomes a static display.

SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374