Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Spitfire Mk IX !!!

ORIGINAL: MAX HEADSPEED

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000....
A smile like that should warrant Court-ordered 'medication', and possible 'incarceration', in most states

Really? Well this picture is even better with a much more important smile as it was after my 2nd flight of my new Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got my Spit up for a maiden on 9-11  Put in the retracts  . Flew on 3 cell   Not a lot of room in the battery compartment , but... I'll make it work .  Rolled out , a little up stick  , more power , and we're in the air ,  Up gear , some minor adjustments , this bird flies like its on rails ,.  Landings , are a little on the hot side , but a very mangeable .   Later flew it with a 4 cell , what a smile maker that is . And yes there is a little issue with the cooling .  Going to make the belly scoop functional .
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Saburo Sakai

Thanks for taking the time to post the shots, Guapo!
I'm thinking RED SPINNER on this Spitty, or maybe signal orange, and she'd light up the skies even more. What say you? Spitfire Mark IX is now top of my list at the Department of Acquisitions . Must lobby heavily for funding and glowing reports help.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Dittos! The Spit spinner is really tough. It withstood an impact force that would have done in anything I've ever flown with before. It will be painted red.

flyntruk, soda straws with corrurated 90 degree bending capability and shaped to deflect air from the scale scoop can work great to direct air directly on the ESC. It's important to allow about four (4) times or more exit area than intake area. The Mk IX must be saved!

The "Sorry, . . . timed out enemy" is moving in for the kill again. "Can't talk, gotta shoot!"

Out!

__________________________________________________ _____________________
FIGHTERS, AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] The new Mk IX airframe with only the electronics, spinner (now painted red), hatch, and wheels of my original Mk IX Spitfire required absolutely zero trim adjustments on its celebration flying of the BATTLE OF BRITIAN today. It blasted into the air and performed all critical maneuvers needed for my air show presentations except one. Had I noticed the ninety degree shift in wind direction as I was making my landing approach I would surely not have broken the cannons off one wing and damaged the antenna mount.

PC is acting up again, gotta go.

Out.

__________________________________________________ _
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
mad web tv scientist

[] My favorite action smileys refuse to work on this thread at the moment. Maybe fun information about my Spit will work here. Exciting action about the SE5 simply would not post on its thread.

Compliments of previous flying experiences I have been demoted to fighter training school and will remain there untill I learn to perform ROG landings. My theory is that if I can just learn to "crab" into the wind with rudder, most of my landing problems will be solved.

Speaking of landings, has anyone ever tuned flaps to operate using the retract servos to operate the flaps and gear at the same time? I can't think of a single reason why such a system wouldn't work great on the Spit.

Under the constant stress of combat with various attacking enemies it has taken until now to finally "emotionally imprint" on this obviously beautiful Spitfire as has happened so easily with all of my other fighters. One thing I strongly recommend: Always fly the faster landing planes first and then the slower ones last, not the other way around. Slower landing planes like the SE5 can throw off your timing something terrible when followed by the Spit.

I finally noticed the "slit near the back of the hatch and the small hole on the bottom of the wing" that might have been designed to provide "adequate (?) exit cooling air." My ship even has drilled out exhaust stacks for more realism as well as enhanced ventilation in addition to the aforementioned procedures. The two soda straws that bring air up from the scale air scoop are taped on one side of the fuselage and direct air over the top of the ESC. The empty weight is 34 ounces, and draws 30 Amps from the stock battery at full throttle on the ground using an 11X4.7 carefully balanced and tracked APC SF prop. It flies so well that there will be no excuses for me to not become a much better pilot!

Out.

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Saburo Sakai

You broke the cannons? Oh, what a shame! Now, I canshoot youdown even MOREeasily.

Leutnant Fritz von Schnitzengruben
Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] MODEL AVIATION (Oct. 2011) magazine's first big two page advertisment is so good that I am keeping the magazine as a historical publication. Space in my already filled up house is at a premium so only important material can be kept. The beautiful thing about the ad is its parallel "Europe first" like the allies in WWII. (PC is acting up again - I will keep trying to get this composed on the edit feature - Patience Fritz!)

Okay, as I was trying to say, Parkzone is absolutely ingenious at making aviation history irresistible fun! I always get a kick out of their ads, but this latest ad is just too much to not rave about! Yes, TAKE BACK THE SKY! THAT'S AN ORDER AIRMAN!

Back to Spitfire fun, yes, when I get proficient at landing skills the cannons (two cannons units were included in the PKZ5770 Replacement Airframe: Spit Mk IX) will be installed back on the wings. In the meantime I can claim to be enjoying eight (8) .303 machine guns. Yesterday's flights ended with one almost nice ROG landing that almost damaged a soccer goal as it tipped up on one wheel and settled back rolling to a stop about a yard from the goal. Two other "landings" (?) did allow the plane to end up on its wheels. I have since reinforced the leading edges of the wings with carbon fiber tow from the outer red patch around to the ailerons. I am now prepaired to sustain future landing stresses. Turns out that part of a wheel cover got broken off as well. The next cover will get some carbon fiber treatment that will surely do the job.

With gear hanging down in the breeze I found it necessary to increase aileron deflection angles enough that 50% expo was necessary to provide comfortable straight and level flight. Except for flight time I found no noticable difference in performance between the smaller four plus ounce batteries and the stock batteries. Even when the batteries are down to storage level charge between 11.1 - 11.5 volts my Spit can easily pull straight up. Love these SF props but will try to beat them like I did with the Wildcat.

Will try again to report on my irresistible SE5, web gods willing - willing or not the truth will ultimately prevail.

Out.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
guapoman2000

Hi guys!

My models wheels certainly came out miss-aligned with some ugly Toe-Out and the Model leans due to too much angle at the wheel axle from Stock conditions right out the package with respect to the Pre-Bent Struts (PKZ5717).

You can see the Pictures clearly that the wheels are certainly not in a correct alignment for good carefree take-offs and most importantly, landings!

keep an eye on which strut goes where. The Coiled Spring should be facing AFT.

Another tip, for those that have not done the Retracts yet is to make sure you feed the extra Retract wire within the Oil Cooler Plastic housing and do not leave the Mating of the two connectors to lay underneath the Retract as you will not be able to screw the Retract Assembly down!!! I did this by carefully tugging the wire from the other side of the wing and feeding it carefully.

===============================================

After careful and with lots of patience, I was able to bend the axle wheel portion of the PRE-BENT strut wire and it did not break and found it soft but, not that soft like other piano wire products

Please, please, after the fit checks do take out the Pre-Bent Strut out from the E-Flite Electric Retract housing to not cause any stress on the retract themselves.

A few pictures and VIDEO:

Post adjustment results!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxlNbXBjL00[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTatK_r0J8A[/youtube]

The PRE-BENT Junky Struts (PKZ5717) are all "BENT TO SHAPE" as I like em.

BEFORE (AS THEY CAME OUT OF THE PACKAGE):

AFTER ADJUSTMENTS AND BENDING:

===============================================
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] quapoman, thanks again for your quality pictures and video work.

Flew in 90 degree weather today and enjoyed the security of all the extra ventilation described earlier. Even so, the small 1400 mAh 30 C battery was plenty hot after a minimum power endurance contest against my Spit IIb that won by beating the big Mk IX with twice the endurance using a back up version of the same battery.

Flying the two Spitfires during Sept. is my way of celebrating the Battle of Britain. Untill I become better at ROG landings I will always be flying the belly landing Spit first and then the Mk IX. It's wierd how comfortable I feel with slipping in comfortably and smoothly for belly landings but tend to mess up every ROG landing - a lot more practice needed.

PC is messing up again.

Out.

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immotality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM
guapoman2000

Flying at a place we all affectionately call "EDWARDS" due to the[B] large smooth Concrete surface (High School Band Practice. Somewhere in Central Florida and enjoying a very nice early Sunday morning on 09-25-2011. The model did nose over after some wing wobble side-to-side action but, no paint was affected what so ever! The 2nd landing was a charm. Just a fantastic model with super airspeed and especially with GEAR UP!

PLEASE SELECT FULL SCREEN TO APPRECIATE THIS VIDEO!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn2ckc_gTAE[/youtube]
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Great shots!

I have come up with a very simple concept to use the retract gear to lower and raise split flaps on our Spits that I plan to use on a future back-up Mk IX. It's such a simple concept I can't believe someone hasn't already invented it. The key to victory is the use of loose fitting slots like what I used on my Messerschmitt radiator flaps as can be seen on my CALL TO GLORY web site. A slot near the landing gear coils forces an adjustible 18 gage wire to rotate 90 degrees.

The rotating wire is positioned fore and aft through a radiator with simple bushiings near each end of the straight length. A simple "crank" shape can be easily worked by the loose fitting slot that can be bend adjusted to make sure every thing works reliably. On the flap end the "slider" will need approximately a 45 degree angle on the flap slot to prevent binding and adjustments will need to be optimzed for flap angle (I always try for maximum deflection angles) and securely retracted pressure on the retracted flap.

One moving part, two slots (one on the landing gear leg, one on the flap) - piece of cake, yes, do the same thing to the other flap. Also be sure both flaps have the same angles when lowered.

Problem in my case is I like the "unretracted gear" look on my Spit. I covered the wheel wells with clear low heat covering and love the way the ship looks and flys. It will be a while before I am ready to install my retract system where I will be looking forward in anticipation of competition between the two variations of the Mk IX.

The cannons are held on the wings now with double sided tape and one strip of Scotch Multitask 1/2 inch wide tape on the bottom of the wing/cannons. The hope here is that this mounting system will allow the cannons to come off the wing without breaking anything in the event of a possible poor landing event. I plan to practice a lot of landings until I can get them right.

Out.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] ATTENTION SQUADRON!

TAIL FLUTTER, STAND BY!

This is taking much longer than usual. This is my third (3rd) attempt to get the truth out about the possible catastrophic danger posed by right elevator center connection slop. The details of enemy action will be reported later due to the urgency of the immediate combat situation.

I have just fixed the potential tail flutter hazard of my second (2nd) Spitfire Mk IX. tail section. There is/was a significant amount of "slop" with the right elevator that, given the right speed, could cause catastrophic damage. A little glue on the square connection point gap fixes the sloppy joint problem. I don't want to hear about any tail flutter caused Spit crashes. So, for Queen and country, fix your tails airmen! THAT'S AN ORDER!

DISMISSED!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
mad web tv scientist

(THIS ORIGINAL POST GOT the ''Sorry . . .timed out" treatment. The enemy seems to be trying the old "sow confusion among the troops trick." I was completely unable to get this message to post originally.)

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] ATTENTION SQUADRON!

CHECK OUT POSSIBLE RIGHT ELEVATOR FLUTTER! Having to apply a little glue to two (2) Spit Mk IXs right elevator connection areas to eliminate significant up and down play, I don't want to hear about any Spitfire crashes due to elevator flutter. So for Queen and country, get that problem fixed or suffer dire consequences. THAT'S AN ORDER!

DISMISSED!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Where do you get the grey plastic cover's for the eflite retracts? Do they come with the pre-bent struts?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] I think they are the same as the stock ones that come with the plane.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Hellcat716

I do not see how the stock ones can work with the eflite retracts.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Hellcat716

The plastic covers come with the pre-bent struts. I got them today.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had everything I needed to install my retracts. I was wrong. Just ordered Prebent LG Struts: Spitfire Mk IX, Part Number PKZ5717.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:55 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Max, sorry I failed to see your name among all the neat pictures and videos, so please accept my belated thanks for your post.

I'll be back shortly with urgent news.

ATTENTION! ALL TOWER HOBBIES CUSTOMERS, an e-mail message from TOWER HOBBIES has announced an attack on modeling by the DOT that must be repulsed. The very same forces that are in the process of destroying Western Civilization, suppressing super efficient energy technologies, etc., have now set their sights on modeling. Evidently modeling in America must be crushed because of the danger it could pose to a new world order of fascist imposed mind control by "BIG BROTHER."

So, please wake up and smell the gunpowder before freedom as we've known it is liquidated by the forces of satanic tyranny!

Out!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had everything I needed to install my retracts. I was wrong. Just ordered Prebent LG Struts: Spitfire Mk IX, Part Number PKZ5717.

Hey Mad Web tv Scientist,

Sorry you did not read my Post #34 up above!

Well, I am glad you have ordered the Pre-Bents but, like to warn you they do not come perfect, at least mine did not and had to do adjustments. See my Post #34.

Happy Landings!
Carlos
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Thanks Carlos, I tried to read and see everything on our thread. As famous Ace fighter pilot Chuck Yeger says: "Its always the one you don't see that gets you." I skimmed right over your thoughts but was blinded by what I thought I knew. I will try to have better SA in the next dogfight. Good thing I am not involved in real air warfare!

PC is acting up again. Funny how this tends to happen when I pick on the status-quo.

Out.

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
deothoric

So mad web, this patent flaps and retracts system, you'll be taking off with the flaps down?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Fellow Spit pilots ... To defend our airspace against evil forces ... Up grade your ecs so you can fly 4 cell . I fly a 4c with a 40c discharge and a 9x6 apc prop . We're getting close to 80mph on level passes , fantastic climb outs , just breath taking flying . You'll love it .... TTFN..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Hellcat716

You won't love it when youy rip the wings off the plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.