Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Parkzone SE-5A Bi-Plane

Hello: I recently got a SE- 5A Bi Plane Parkzone from Horizon Hobby. I would welcome any advice anyone could give me on taking off from the ground. Upon takeoff, it pulls hard to the left requiring a lot of right rudder and up elevator and right aileron. My control surfaces are all centered and trimmed properly. The only thing I can figure out is that like my Parkzone Bf 109 which does the same thing, I will just have to add the stick inputs to get it off the ground. Is this right?? In many videos I have watched it doesn't seem like you have to do a whole lot except pull back on the stick.

I would like to know if this behavior of this model is normal.. Thank you.

RE: Parkzone SE-5A Bi-Plane

Hi schlussadler. Just today I finally worked out a "formula" that I am confident will work very well. I would have said something earlier but as you may be able to see from the five star rated (with the ring of stars it is easier to find) SE5 thread I still had some details to work out. I think I now have take offs with the RAF SE5 handled.

The key to victory is to advance the throttle more slowly on takeoff along with some relatively minor adjustments to the landing gear. With the 109, spreading the gear and bending it forward some helps a lot with ground handling. I "adjusted" the gear about 3/4 inch more forward on the SE5. I expect much better landings in the future than has been the case so far as well as more successful ROG takeoffs.
    I plan to bring a 10 foot long by 1.5 foot wide (actually measured it today - sorry about the guess yesterday) roll of carpet with me every time I bring any ROG airplane to the field for easy take off purposes.

I actually put up a "flight" today unintentionally while testing my new runway in my 90 foot wide yard. The plane can literally jump into the air before it runs off into the troublesome grass. I adjusted the rudder so it is easy to steer the plane straight down my magic carpet runway. I expect this dandy fighter to be my very best performing WWI flying machine.

Out.

Rich

__________________________________________________ __
    FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please see immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought the PNP version last Friday, assembled it late Sunday night and maidened it this afternoon at lunch! The grass was very high and wet at the local soccer field so it took a few tries and a search for a bare spot to get a good run, but as soon as it was ready it jumped into the air and flew very well. I had added a bit more up elevator travel to try and help the ground handling which helped. It flew great at less than half throttle and is very responsive. It gets pushed around a little in turbulent air but so does any WWI bird. I'm running 3-cell 2100 mah batteries which drop right in and don't affect the balance. It's surprisingly hefty for a bunch of foam without the battery...it must all be in the electroncs in the nose. It is a tough little bird as mentioned above and took several nose-overs without complaining. This should be fun!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The "left turning tendancies" are natural for all conventional gear (taildragger) type aircraft. It has to do with physics and applies to small models and full size aircraft alike. The transition from sitting still with the nose pointed up to rolling forward and bringing the tail up and bringing the nose down requires some amount of right rudder input and release of elevator back pressure depending on the amount of power that is being applied. The advise above to advance the throttle smoothly and be ready to counter act the left swing with right rudder (a lot of right aileron will actually cause more problems with drag and adverse yaw) is good. Once it's flying, the forces are balanced and it will be much easier to handle.

I'm very surprised at how little actual flying information is included in the manual. A first time flyer will have his hands full if he doesn't know what can happen during a take of roll...and each one is different.

Good luck!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. Would you agree by the way that the 5-A would be impossible to hand launch due to its nose heavy weight? One of the things I love about the 109 is its ease of hand launching. Once that plane is up in the air its oneofthe easiest planes I ever flew. I fly with a DX5e radio. Would it be any easier to fly a 5A with a programmable radio and if so what would the programming look like as to dual rate and expo. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. Would this 5a be any easy to fly with a radio other than a 5e which is what I am using. If the answer is yes how would I program it as to rate and expo?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1) Hand Launching - Yes it can be done. I tried it a couple of times last evening knowing I'd be in that situation when I take it to Rhinebeck for the mass launch. The grass will be far too high and thick for a successful ground take off. I flew the plane last evening and checked the trim after moving the elevator pushrod connection up one hole to get more up elevator and recentering the surfaces. I had to trim a little bit more as it wanted to climb under power. I landed and then tried a hand launch gripping it with my right hand on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the lower wing and using a finger on the plastic plate between the gear mounts to steady it as it is quite nose heavy from this position. I went to full power with the transmitter in my left hand and gave it a good heave slightly nose up and away it went! It started to descend a little so I quickly got my right hand back on the transmitter to put in some up elevator (a little abruptly) but it was wings level and flying no problem.

2) I have a DX6i and don't have any information on the DX5. As long as you have four channels, any radio/receiver would work in my opinion.

p.s. This plane will nose-over just as easily on a tarred surface as it will on a grass surface...but grass doesn't scrape the paint off...:>(

Jaybird
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13143.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	1654352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16818.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	1654353  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're experiencing the effects of not only torque, but also P-factor, which becomes an issue during high power, high angle of attack, low airspeed. P-factor, as you may or may not know, becomes occurs during high angles of attack- the downward blade on the right side of the aircraft produces more thrust, the left side produces less thrust due to the pitch of the prop changing relative to the air mass in a climb. Bipes tend to be more affected due to their short moments and wingspan. You can combat this by allowing the plane to accelerate longer on the ground, then climb out at a shallower angle, but you'll still need that right rudder. Are you trying to lift off too quick?
    The original Tommygun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was able to arrange for 3 other Buddies to meet up at a fantastic location we affectionately call "EDWARDS" for the simple reason it reminds us of that wide and vast runway area in the West Coast.

Well, it was time for Spider Dave to Maiden his brand new PARK ZONE S.E.5a and glad Ed was there for the festivities and being Jog Pilot to maiden the model for Spider Dave! The first flight was great but, the 2nd flight was even better as this model needs aileron+Rudder Mix and Ed programmed in for the 2nd flight!

A few pictures........

Gee, I did not know that Spider Dave was so religious!

Okay, next up are some Videos of Spider Dave's Park Zone S.E.5a!!!

Stay tuned!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

VIDEOS!!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kdlNwfd0r0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaMFWSEf0w[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great pictures and videos!

Whose wooden prop are you guys using??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy's (Gerry) 2nd Maiden Flight with his Park Zone SE5A

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGrYBeATls[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How can you have a second "maiden" flight? Aren't you and your plane a "virgin" only once? After that it's just another fun flight... ;>)

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

How can you have a second ''maiden'' flight? Aren't you and your plane a ''virgin'' only once? After that it's just another fun flight... ;>)

Jaybird
    Hey Jaybird,

The very first "Maiden" flight was filled with nothing but taking high resolution Pictures.

The 2nd flight was still with unknowns as the owner / RC Flyer still does not have enough knowledge of the flight characteristics of the model so, pardon if I agree to disagree here with you....if Gerry want to call it his 2nd "Maiden" flight well......then, we are going to call it that!

Have a nice one!
    Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've just returned from the 45th Rhinebeck Jamboree at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate New York where I flew my Se5 in a "mass electric fly" just before the Saturday afternoon full scale airshow. I was a able to ROG from the thick grass (other planes had their gear catch and nosed over or were hand launched) and it flew great. I had modified the bottom of the brown plastic strut covers by cutting off the portion that hung below the axle cover and rounded the corners for less drag in the grass. I was the fourth of about 15 to 20 flyers to take off and third from the last to land. There were a lot of remarks on how well it flew and there were several sold on site by vendors. I didn't see any of them fly during the weekend though. I had another flight with it just as the flightline was closing before the Sunday show and had a mock dogfight with an Electrifly Fokker DVII that was fun. The SE5 has a lot more power and I could out fly the smaller DVII easily.

Great fun!

Jaybird

Name:	Tr49822.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	1661435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20219.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1661436  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jaybird,

Awesome idea of the trimming of the bottom axle strut end!

Looks like you had a blast! Super!

Carlos[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the picture of the mass launch group from the Rhinebeck Jamboree. I am the fifth one in on the left side of the picture and my brother is standing with me.

Jaybird

Name:	Lj22931.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	1662906