Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

What is all this torque roll,rubbish controls,nightmares with parkzone war planes??nonsense!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What is all this torque roll,rubbish controls,nightmares with parkzone war planes??nonsense!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
trademe900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is all this torque roll,rubbish controls,nightmares with parkzone war planes??nonsense!

Hi there,

i got my parkzone spitfire before i came to this forum, but since iv'e come, ive heard many nightmare stories about the pz warbirds- the main ones being:

Torque rolls and crash on launch. having to throw it REALLY hard??? What is this nonsense!

Also whats wrong with the radio equipment?

Terrible glider?? come on!!

difficult to handle?

battery hatch coming open and batt coming out?

not for a newbie?

I really dont understand this rubbish- this is MY FIRST RC PLANE ive EVER flown, no ''rc simulator time'', nothing, no experience.... and i really think the plane deserves a lot of credit! Its very good!

Being my first rc plane i have never even been aware of this 'torque roll' and i certainly dont get it with this plane. They say you have to chuck it really hard or it will roll and crash? Im sorry but this is nonsense. It must be people just trying to correct instability at low speed after launch and over correcting. Never ever had it even roll a bit after launch, i think its peoples throwing ability were talking about here! Jokes.... but i do not see it roll after launch?

Radio complaints are beyond me... works perfect...

It seems to glide well to me! In find it glides so well that i am afraid to fly it out far enough so that i can actually turn around and glide in to land at my feet. A lot of the time i end up having it come towards me but have too much speed i end up landing it at the end of the field and with too much speed.

Great plane, very pleased with it.... plenty fast enough for me too!

And i think a begginer can handle it plenty well... as long as you have the slightest idea of how a plane handles, maybe been on a decent ww2 flight simulator like IL2 Sturmovik, or the recent Microsoft flight simulator. Even if you just know by word when a plane stalls and what an angle of attack is, and how the control surfaces all work to steer it- you can fly this...

Any begginer really wanting to get this plane because it looks so good, all i have to say is, make sure you know how an aileron and elevator works, and what a stall is, or just mak sure you know how aircraft handle in general.... and get it! Dont listen to the people who say its not for you!

Hell fun- No problems with this plane!

PS. i DID actually crash it once though lol, was getting WAYY too confident on my second flight and did a roll whilst it was getting further away from me, it was evening an i lost my orientation and suddenly didnt know which way was up.. oh well lesson learnt and a very, very stupid thing to do.. . Dont try show off to people on the second flight haha!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
johnpcunningham

Default RE: What is all this torque roll,rubbish controls,nightmares with parkzone war planes??nonsense!

I think you are correct - to a point. The Spitfire is the easiest and best flying of the Parkzone planes. The Mustang has more problems to roll and battery hatch breaking off, because it is on the belly. Can't speak about the FW-190 since I have not flown one. You were lucky and wise by choosing the Spitfire for your first plane.

JC
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
trademe900

Default RE: What is all this torque roll,rubbish controls,nightmares with parkzone war planes??nonsense!

ohhh ok, so these planes are pretty different handling eh?

Because i thought they would all be same batt hatch cover position etc. ...Right.

But isnt it same motor and prop? Therefore why does it have the torque roll?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 AM
DickDrz

Personally, I wouldn't like to have a spit as my first plane.
Started with a simple two channel but this was rubbish and almost dangerous due to it's lack of control. Moved on to 3 channel Challenger and I'm still there now. Yes I do feel ready to take on a 4 channel but I fly so infrequently that I haven't exhausted the fun that the ABC gives. Plus I'm starting to Mod it and I'm on a mission to get thing to fly inverted.
So the Spitfire may be a really stable war bird and I may now consider that for my next plane but in no way would I recommend a newbie should pick up a 4 channel plane and then start to learn to fly. There is far more chance that it will be crashed, the plane wrecked and pilot put off RC for life.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:55 AM
eeeclaire69

Firstly let me point out that the Parkzone war birds are only 3 channel not 4.
I leaned to fly on the firebird freedom but only flew that about 4 times before i moved on to the FW190. In my opinion the parkzone war bird are awsome and almost unbeatable for the money. I did have a crash after my first launch due to torque roll breaking the fuz but a quick £18 rebuild and she was back in the air, i never experienced any problems with the radio or the battery hatch either, i think the battery hatch problem was a design fault on the Mustang only. I like the parkzone servos too, i have them on my Stryker c and had a power loss at about 150ft but because the servos self centered with no power it just nose dived and didnt keep gliding along for miles!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 AM
DickDrz

ORIGINAL: eeeclaire69

Firstly let me point out that the Parkzone war birds are only 3 channel not 4.
Ah, yes it is. So will fly more like the Swift. Not classed as a beginner plane but would be suitable for somebody that has a good idea of what its all about. Not me as when I kicked off with the ABC on pro mode (8.4v battery) it was too quick. I was getting into trouble far to often[:@].

Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Fisher

Sounds like you are one of the quick learners out there. Many people take a lot longer to get a feel for controlling something that is not attached to them. If you are a total newbie and have not had much stick time with an rc vehicle and have not spent a few hours on a good flight simulator then I would have to say the Spit is not the best choice for you. A bullet proof pusher prop will be far more forgiving and will not require nearly as much repair effort as something like a Spit. That being said many people can probably start out with a Spit or a Stryker if they have a large enough field and work with a flight simulator.

As to your luck with good electronics, yes most of the equipment sent out from Parkzone/Hobbyzone is just fine but there is the other ~10% that have quality issues that can drive a new pilot insane trying to figure out if it is the equipment or their piloting skills that are at fault. All in all Parkzone stuff is a good value for the new pilot who is not sure they want to get too involved with the sport.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] trademe900 thanks for starting such an interesting thread. I hope more warbird enthusiasts will spout off about their experiences. I am still practicing "warbird maneuvers" with my modified slow flying Accipiter Badius motor powered gliders. The fun you all are having with "real warbirds" is temptingly infectious but I am DETERMINED to drone on toward my predetermined target no matter how heavy the "flack and fighters become!"

Okay, seriously, has anyone out there enjoyed flying the three channel "ducted fan" Mig-15 that I plan to make my first warbird? Thank you in advance for all the fun some of you will surely provide at some point.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

TradeMe,

Something you may not have considered. Improvements in the product. Way back when, the Stang came out, and after a lot of us did the R&D for PZ, they incorporated a lot of the things we had found, in later versions, and in the new releases. IE: better electronics, hatch securing, brushless options, etc. Heck look at the Stryker, it was a pig when it first came out. Electronic failures were an everyday occurance on them. But PZ listened to us and made changes to make it better. Heck the Cub was the same thing.

Maybe you should thank those of us who spent a ton of money on ill flying birds and complained loudly enough about poor quality to PZ, that you were able to get a decent bird for a first time shot.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Mr. Mugen

I second that. I had the first strykers and the first mustangs and FW's and such. They were far from what you described. That is mostly due to folks who gave feedback as Glacier Girl explained. This site has pull. The mfgr's do listen. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Kevin
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
HOBBYCAT

Just got my PZ Spitfire and looking it over and testing servos while waiting for my retracts to be delivered. I noticed that there are not any exit holes or vents for air flow out of the fuselage. My T-28 has at least 3 holes under rear part of fuselage but the Spitfire has none. I am concerned about cooling.
Any one have any comments or ideas?
Thanks,
HobbyCat
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

Yes, please check out my solution to the cooling situation on the new Spitfire Mk IX thread.

__________________________________________________ _____
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - Please check out the immortality promoting Blog - Rom. 2.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Oregon Craig

One of the reps from Horizon posted over on the more active forum site that cooling is not an issue. He assured everyone wondering that they did extreme tests without any overheating.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and make holes if you like to always be modifying things and think it is necessary. Can't hurt much I s'pose as long as you do a good job of it.

Not needed however according to manufacturer.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Saburo Sakai

Yes, I was glad to help out my friend Mad Web with his English "cooling anxiety issue". I dropped in behind his Spit in my 109, unnoticed as usual, fired both Micro Cannon (tm)and ventillated his fuselage with properly spaced air holes. Sorry about that bursting into flames part, Mad. Enjoy your stay at our LuftstallagPerhaps I maydrop by and bring some of your English tea and crumpets, betweenpilots.
Aufwiedersehn!
Leutnant FritzHeimlich vonWienershcnittengrubben mit Scweinen, J.G. 26, Luftwaffe
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif] Yes, when assembling my second Mk IX I finally noticed the small slits on the back side of the hatch and along with the small hole on the bottom of the wing I assumed that with conservative stock performance the situation was probably not quite as dire as I first thought. So, after careful consideration I installed two (2) more "flexible joint" soda straws in the air scoop to spray even more cooling air on that non-stock 40 Amp ESC that I intend to run long and hard using some of my new killer props.

Now, If I can just figure out a way to take care of that dasterdly Japanese Ace who is so bad about shooting me down, I just might be able to win the war!

So, Aim high, Fly, Fight, and Win.

Out.

__________________________________________________ ____
FIGHTERS, AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

P.S. The sinister enemy is trying and evidently succeeding in unnerving the "good guys" by tampering with the "action smileys" by turning them into red "Xes" and back again (usually). They have been a little slow to change back since we did a number on them on the Jug thread some time ago.