Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Will this setup work? Need Advice Please

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Will this setup work? Need Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Lobo13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this setup work? Need Advice Please

Thanks to you all for such a GREAT forum!! (I also posted this in the RCGroups forum....need all the help I can get, and both forums are wonderful!)

I'm a newbie with data overload. Unfortunately I research a lot before I get into something...I'm now tired of research and ready to fly. I've read a lot of your posts for newbies and others. Wow! What a lot to learn!

My goals, I think, are to mainly stay with parkflyers...not really interested in heavy aerobatics, but more simple flying that to me looks more real to scale. Would like to add floats at some point. Also, add a camera eventually. Maybe....a big maybe, get into heli's...that is if they end up flying easier and on less channels?

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback and advice from you folks on the following setup for someone who has yet to get "into the air": (money is, of course, a factor, but not a big one...I just don't see the need to go way overboard, but, spend enough to meet my future needs)

I will take your overall advice and start with a SlowStick for my first plane.

TX = Hictec Flash 5X

RX = Either a Hitec HS 555 OR a Berg 5DSP. I like what I read about the Berg, but have a couple questions about it. It says that it outputs on Channels 1 thru 4 and 6. Would this still allow me 5 channels with the Flash 5X using this RX? Is their a range diffrence in the two RX's listed here? Would the Berg also need a dual crystal? Would it be better just to stay with a Hitec RX since I will get a Hitec TX? I DO want to be able to use the full 5 channels someday with a RX....may want aelirons and camera.

SERVOS = Hitec HS55. Other suggestions?

ESC = Sprite 25. I'm real open on this one and it may depend on the batteries I'm getting.

BATTERIES = I really, really want time in the air when I go out to fly, and so, I'm looking at Li-Poly batteries. I've noticed from a post or two that a 2sE-Tec 1200 maH pack is often mentioned. I'm very "weak" in the area of matching these electronics....I'll get there in time, but would like to fly NOW and learn some more of that later. I mean, I'm not sure if this pack, or any other outside of a "flight pack" is compatible with the other stuff, especially the RX & ESC. The other battery of interest is the 2-cell Kokan 3370 pack. One fella posted that he flew over and HOUR with this pack in a stock SS!! I may not last an hour, but I would like to try! Any better suggestions on batteries would be appreciated. Remember..."time".

CHARGER = Hobbico MKII DC Field Charger? I like the price & versatility of this charger....even tho it is said that it will not charge the Li-Poly's to FULL charge (90%). If this will not damage the Li-Poly's, then I like what I see about this one. For those who own one now....does it come ready to hookup to a car battery, or do you have to order/have alligator clips to hookup. Suggestions about other chargers, with pro's and con's will certainly be welcome and appreciated.

Did I leave anything out that I might need....besides my wallet, I mean...Heh Heh? I know, you can't get the bug in this hobby and not expect to go a little hungry....I'll drop a cola a day and quite the vitamins for a year! Ha!

I thank you in advance for giving a poor ole newbie a headstart and good advice!

Lobo
Old 08-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Lobo, it looks like you've done some excellent research.

Your choice of tx is an excellent one. As far as rx's, either rx is excellent. The Berg 5 is my choice of rx, and is the most solid one I own, including my full size JR and Airtronics rx's, I don't own a 555, but I hear they are also a very solid rx. The berg should come with a crystal, I don't know about the Hitec, but it wouldn't be hard to find one. Your issue with ch5 on the Berg is a common issue, and it can be done fairly easily. I'll see if I can find the info for you.

If you want flight time, Li-poly's are what you're after. I'm still learning about them myself, so I can't give advice on which one to use.

I'm not very fimilar with the MKII charger, but if you're going to run Li-poly's, it may be worth your while to get a good quality li-poly charger.

Hope this helped.

Jason
Old 08-23-2003, 03:57 AM
sierra gold

Are you going to buy just the Hitec transmitter? If buying the whole radio system buy the one that comes with the 555 receiver and HS-81 servos. The 555 is very dependable and the 81s are a good micro servo. I wouldn't bother buy the Berg until you need a second flight pack.

LiPolys are a new technology and they don't take well to "hard landings." I would stick with 7-8 cell Kan 950. They will give you about 12-15 minutes and are more durable for a new flyer.

Not familiar with that charger. There are a number of decent chargers in the $35-50 price range that will handle NiCd or NiMh up to 8 cell.

The Pixie 25 should be a good choice for an ESC.

Sierra Gold
Old 08-23-2003, 10:17 AM
csisfun

for ya charger, that sounds good, it charges every battery commonly used in RC (LiIon, NiMH & NiCd)

But I've seen the specs, and the only thing that i dont like is the limited amount of batteries it can charge. Perhaps 8 batterys max for now is still OK (i dont think i'll get out of that range anytime soon...).

Have you checked out the Hitec CG340? It's cheaper.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Lobo13

Default Thanks a Bunch!

Thanks folks for the great info, advice and encouragement. I will get busy buying, building and more importantly FLYING!!!

I appreciate ALL the information very much!!

Lobo
Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 PM
kinseyd
My Feedback: (1)

Lobo,
We're having a blast flying our Slow Stick. It flies so majestically, and yet does acro!
I did a couple of mods to mine that you might like. I also ordered an extra wing, and plan to add ailerons to that one. I may clip the tips of the new wing also.
I had a motor/gearbox from an Electrajet. That combo was very smooth, absolutely silent gearbox due to bearings, and very powerful. So, I added a plywood/balsa cradle to the top of the fuselage tube and strapped the motor/gearbox down with brightly colored nylon tie wraps.
My wing split at the trailing edge in the center fold when I unfolded it - the split is about 2 1/2" long, so I taped it carefully with packing tape.
Make sure you wipe all the foam surfaces with rubbing alcohol everywhere you are going to use tape. Otherwise it quickly starts to come loose. My recommendation is to use good clear packing tape instead of the provided tape - it comes loose.
Anyway, I replaced the rudder and elevator tape with clear packing tape, and I added CA hinges to both flying surfaces. They are really strong now, and it adds almost no weight.
I also added flying wires, because that wing flexes a lot! I bent a 1/16" wire around the fuselage tube from the top, around the battery, so that it sticks down about 3" below the fuselage on both sides. I then ran fishing line from a v-bend at each end of the wire to a point about 2/3 of the way out the wing panel. Tape reinforces where the fishing line goes up through each panel, and I used a short length of plastic (or popsicle stic) on top of the wing to wrap the line around. Then I added clear packing tape on top to hold it in place.
Again, almost no weight added, and now the wing doesn't flex at all under load, such as during a loop!
The plane is a blast to fly - it is both relaxing and fun.
Enjoy!
Don
Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Lobo13

Don

Great post with lots of help! Thanks! I like the wing mod you did. I'm still learning abbreviations.....not sure what a "CA" hinge is? or I might try it.

Thanks!

Lobo
Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

kinseyd
Adding ailerons to the SS may require that you cover the bottom of the wing and make it a flat bottom. I've read quite a few threads about people adding ailerons to the SS and them not being effective at all due to the undercambered wing.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:19 AM
kinseyd
My Feedback: (1)

Lobo,
CA hinges are CyanoAcrylate (sp?) (super glue) hinges. They are thin strips of paper-like material that are extremely easy to install, cost very little, and get glued in with a couple of drops of your favorite thin CA. It wicks through the material and into the stab/rudder and stab/elevator. It's great for most applications, and lots simpler than the plastic hinges.

Jason,
Thanks for the tip. If ailerons don't work well, I won't bother. What you say makes sense.

Don
Old 08-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Lobo13

As usual....great info!! And you guys are great to help out a newbie with such enthusiasm!

I should have everthing ordered by tonite. Will let ya know how it all goes, especially since you all have been so nice to respond with great advice!

Lobo