Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

E-starter hinges

Old 08-24-2003, 02:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-starter hinges

, they suck,, the glue supplied softens the foam, I did the ailerons and wish I hadnt,, gotta epoxy different hinges on the rudder and ele..I'm gonna have to redo the ails. too, this is a hefty chunk of styrofoam too (the plane that is)..think I will go with balsa for new ailerons....Rog
Old 08-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-starter hinges

?!? fwiw I've used the supplied hinges and glue on ~10 GWS planes with no problems, a couple of pointers:

* the E-Starter foam is known to be a little softer than all other GWS kits.
* the supplied glue will no melt foam; it is a contact cement fwiw.
* make sure you use a sharp #11 or what ever knife you use to cut out the control surfaces and slotting the hinges, and don't rush.
* test fit the hinges before applying any glue.
* foam safe CA can also be used to install the hinges.
* the plane flys very well with stock setup.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:14 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-starter hinges

Ive never had this problem before and have 2 other GWS, I know it is a water based contact cement but it softened the foam this time, I did use a brand new blade and I did test fit but inevitably 1 hinge would fold or crease or something and when I would try again or force it the foam would be soft so I ended up haveing to let it dry that way....
how did you know the e starter is different foam?
I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, like I said Ive never had this trouble before ,, and I did everything right...Rog
Old 08-25-2003, 04:41 AM
YZ-212

Default E-starter hinges

After a few flights of my E-Starter I noticed how flemsy the ailerons were so I decided to trade them out with bulsa ones. I used CA hinges and foam safe CA to hold them on, no problems yet. A tip I found while reading the site was to put clear tape over the aileron gaps on top and bottom, this gave about 20 percent increase in roll rate and the plane trims out better!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:07 PM
mnewman

Default RE: E-<span class=

I've experimented with different kinds of hinges over the years and have found that using a strip of pre creased poster board and foam safe CA seems to work the best for GWS planes. Try to buy the cheaper poster paper avoiding the thicker and heavier paper. In a pinch typing paper will work but it tends to drink the ca and then stiffens and has to be broken in to have a smooth hinge. I cut a long slice in the control surface with a matching long slice in the elevator, rudder and ailerons, then using thick foam safe ca I run a bead on the top and bottom of the paper and insert it into the slice. This way I end up with a hinge that runs the length of the surface and, as a bonus, the paper and CA both add strength. The small GWS hinges are fine but I have never had much luck getting them glued in place the way I want and have had to redo them so many times that I sought alternatives.

But, as a word of advice, avoid using the supplied GWS glue. I use 5 minute epoxy for almost the entire construction and the foam safe CA for the more deleicate parts.

For the cowl I use a chunk of blue foam shaped to fit in the supplied cowl with a hole for the gear box cut out. Imagine the cowl is filled with foam except for the actual space occupied by the motor and gear box. After I tried this method I never crushed a cowl again. Its very time cunsuming to shape the blue foam but When you are finsihed and have had a crash you'll be glad you made the effort. You can also shape a new cowl using meat tray foam and a hair dryer if the damaged is beyond repair.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
IdahoBaird

Default RE: E-starter hinges

I've really enjoyed reading the e-Starter thread regarding the attachment of the ails. My e-Starter is on its way and I want to put it all together correctly the first time. Looks like I won't be using the GWS glue and I'll be "customizing" my ailerons right out of the box. Cool!

Smooth landings, All!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:25 PM
halfmoon129

Default RE: E-starter hinges

kucf all yall niggaroaches