Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Art-Tech P51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
The Dark Knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art-Tech P51 Mustang

I just brought the Eflite P47 Thunderbolt and order the Art-tech Mustang from Hobby-Lobby (backordered until 7-21-07) does anyone have any information or reviews on the art-tech P51 mustang
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Art-Tech P51 Mustang

I purchased all the parts and installed my own radio. It looks fantastic in the air and flies great. It will slow down with out snapping and just a delight to fly.

Larry
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
tam popo

Hiya DK! I'm looking at a review of the P51 from Art Tech - its in the April edition of "Quiet and Electric Flight" magazine, a good UK publication. I think it might be on-line if you do a websearch. Main points - dilikes: some uality issues. Like: Looks, performance, price! Flying review: Lipo bird flown in hgh wind - good handling, loops, ood climb rat tc. All you need! I, personally at the the weight, only 18oz but the review said it could be a bit fragile but it does look a good scale plane.. Read the full review if you can find it[8D]
Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM
tam popo

Sorry about the spelling there, in a rush, wifey wants to use my credit card!![][&o][>:][>:]
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
mycarisaser

dk how is the mustang[good quality,is it fast,does it fly well]? I am looking at buying one or the pz t-28 trojan. I just waiting for some reviews
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Witterings

Not sure if you're still following this thread, I'm relatively new to this hobby but have had one of these, I bought the brushless and wasn't much impressed it even struggled to do loops, took it back to LHS and they changed the prop for a 2 blade rather than a 4 blade which improved performance but within 2 batteries it had burnt the motor out (that may be the quality or it may be the change of prop that caused it). I upgraged the motor to a Frio 9 which 2 great flights and then just didn't go up on the 3rd flight but down and just broke the cowling and engine mount. The cowling breaks at the slightest knock, the motor mount is the next bit which is going to get hit and yet you have to by the whole fuselage (£25 + Post & Pack) and can't get the 20 pence worth piece of plastic on it's own. I've destroyed it a few times and rebuilt it a few times, think for a realtively newish to RC Planes person it's typical Warbird low wing handling and for the less experienced when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong, when it was flying with the upgraded motor looked absolutely lovely and flew well with quite crisp rolls etc but I think there may be better built planes. The transmitter was a dud as well and twice crashed the plane and only latterly found out it was really really badly glitching which in a turn at low altitude cost me a rebuild twice !!!!!!!!!!!!
In summary - Potentially when it goes well brilliant BUT and it is a big but there are too many draw backs unless you know you can fly this type of plane without ever having even a slightly roughish landing as it will do damage would also be better if you could supply your own electrics, I wouldn't know what to suggest as an alternative as I haven't flown other warbirds but I'm sure there must be better quality compteition out there that you can put your own bits in and then use on other models later, if you really are only into RTF though it was easy to put together but couple with it's as easy to break one kind of offsets the other although I will rebuild mine which is currentlyu destroyed again and have another go when I@ve a bit more experience as it looks so good in the air and as I@ve most of the bits it won't cost too much to get airborne again.
Hope that's of some help ??????
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
mycarisaser

Thanks for your review. I think this might sway me from getting this plane and get the pz t-28 instead. dang I was really hoping this would of been a good plane
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 AM
tam popo

Hiya again!! Nothing wrong with the Trojan but again it really isn't the best first-timer sort of plane. If it was me , knowing what I now know, I would go for the F27b Stryker or F27C (b/less, lipo etc). Why? This bird fly straight from the box! its quite fast (F27C is awesome!!), and you only have to worry about two control surfaces - ailerons, or elevons as they're called. Its tough but can be fixed with tape and epoxy and still fly. If it comes to the end of its life (RIP) you can buy a complete new shell and nose for £15 (about american price of cheap ESC) and upgrade or swap the innards to new shell. Paint it any colour you want, even pink!!! And it looks good, always will!! My personal view only (my planes, Swift, ME262 edf, Zagi, Mini zagi, 3D Profile, 3 Strykers, Beaver). Professional flyer, well, I'm retired aged 55 and fly 7 days a week. Lucky me!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
BILLSIDES

See 8/24 posting for update on P-51D Art-Tech.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
tam popo

Billsides - Hiya!! I don't have your plane but nearly all esc's are the same, the only difference is that some are for brushed motor planes and the others are for brushless motors. Hold your esc up, one side should have a 3-wire lead coming out (goes to receiver) with 2 wires coming out separately (usually red and black, but not always!!) - these are battery leads red is +, black _ and connect to battery by a variety of connectors (Tamiya, Deans or Gold pushfit). On the other side of esc should be two wires if motor is brushed, or 3 wires if brushless. If its brushless and you have connected it all up and motor spins wrong way just swap any 2 wires and motor will go opposite way. Not a good explanation but its the only way I can describe it. Good luck
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Oregon Craig

Never mind. Post deleted.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
BILLSIDES

cancelled
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 AM
BILLSIDES

I bought one of the art-tech P-51 but got no hookup instructions for the ESC. I assume the three wire connector goes to #3 receiver port, but where does the two wire(black/red) about #14 wire size,wire connect ? This lead is in addition to the larger wire battery leads, with a dean connector..

I finally got the P-51 running. The 3 wire red/blk/white wire from the ESC to #3 receiver port includes a BEC, but the wire did not have continuity. I was not getting battery to receiver. I replaced the connector end of the wire and everything works fine. Hope to fly on Thursday.

The small two wire (red/black) coming out of the ESC does not get connected to anything if you use 3 cell lipo(11.1v) which I am. Apparently, if you use only two cell with this ESC you must short the wire end, but I haven't proven that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37082.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	748516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13768.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	748517  
Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 AM
snewpy

I don't have that model but the wire in question should connect to an arming switch (turns plane on/off). If the plane doesn't have an arming switch, you will need to put a jumper on it so the "switch" is closed. This way when you connect the battery, the plane will be "on".
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 AM
mycarisaser

ORIGINAL: The Dark Knight

I just brought the Eflite P47 Thunderbolt and order the Art-tech Mustang from Hobby-Lobby (backordered until 7-21-07) does anyone have any information or reviews on the art-tech P51 mustang

So I wanted to know witch plane do you like better the mustang or the thunderbolt?

I have the thunderbolt(w/the park 480 1020kv brushless) and I love it, it flys great. I want a mustang but would love to know how the two compair in flight, quality, and looks. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Sharkykzn

ORIGINAL: BILLSIDES

The small two wire (red/black) coming out of the ESC does not get connected to anything if you use 3 cell lipo(11.1v) which I am. Apparently, if you use only two cell with this ESC you must short the wire end, but I haven't proven that.
You are correct the thinner red and black wire you mention is used for battery selection, open is for a 3 cell Li-Po and a jumper must be used should a 2 cell li-po be used. This is standard on all brushless ESC's from Art-Tech.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
BILLSIDES

It would sure be nice if Art-tech put some instructions in their kit. I finally flew my P-51 and it does OK. You cannot take off from grass field as it noses over. I put a nose wheel up front but did not put it far enough forward. It still noses over on trying to take off. I am going to put a nose wheel all the way up front almost even with the prop. That should do it.
I probably will put a larger motor in it. It flys good but could use more power.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 AM
lrrps

ORIGINAL: Witterings

Not sure if you're still following this thread, I'm relatively new to this hobby but have had one of these, I bought the brushless and wasn't much impressed it even struggled to do loops, took it back to LHS and they changed the prop for a 2 blade rather than a 4 blade which improved performance but within 2 batteries it had burnt the motor out (that may be the quality or it may be the change of prop that caused it). I upgraged the motor to a Frio 9 which 2 great flights and then just didn't go up on the 3rd flight but down and just broke the cowling and engine mount. The cowling breaks at the slightest knock, the motor mount is the next bit which is going to get hit and yet you have to by the whole fuselage (£25 + Post & Pack) and can't get the 20 pence worth piece of plastic on it's own. I've destroyed it a few times and rebuilt it a few times, think for a realtively newish to RC Planes person it's typical Warbird low wing handling and for the less experienced when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong, when it was flying with the upgraded motor looked absolutely lovely and flew well with quite crisp rolls etc but I think there may be better built planes. The transmitter was a dud as well and twice crashed the plane and only latterly found out it was really really badly glitching which in a turn at low altitude cost me a rebuild twice !!!!!!!!!!!!
In summary - Potentially when it goes well brilliant BUT and it is a big but there are too many draw backs unless you know you can fly this type of plane without ever having even a slightly roughish landing as it will do damage would also be better if you could supply your own electrics, I wouldn't know what to suggest as an alternative as I haven't flown other warbirds but I'm sure there must be better quality compteition out there that you can put your own bits in and then use on other models later, if you really are only into RTF though it was easy to put together but couple with it's as easy to break one kind of offsets the other although I will rebuild mine which is currentlyu destroyed again and have another go when I@ve a bit more experience as it looks so good in the air and as I@ve most of the bits it won't cost too much to get airborne again.
Hope that's of some help ??????
Hi,

Why don't you glue the broken parts of the engine mount, I did it on mine & it holds up quite well.
Best glue for this mount is epoxy, CA or Gorilla glue won't work.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy, Gerry (simano) who purchased this ART TECH P-51D Mustang has been enjoying it for over 10 flights now and it is a delight to see in the air and on the ground.

It's scale effects are impressive for a FOAMIE model and it's flying characteristics are TRUE PARK FLYER quality!

Here's a couple of pictures of my buddy's ART TECH P-51D Mustang!

Maiden VIDEO:
http://vimeo.com/1327001

Recent Video from this past weekend after flying her for over 10 flights:
http://vimeo.com/1419479

Name:	Sq46859.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	999331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86032.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	999332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53560.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	999333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84385.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	999334  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Zoechops

I own 2 Art-Tech P-51's and am quite satisfied for the most part. I was a rookie when I ordered it and was happy to see that it truly came with everything except the 8 AA batteries for the transmitter. If you use rechargeable AA's, it helps to snip or grind the little cradle flanges in the battery housing of the transmitter as the slightly fatter rechargeables may have a tendancy to pop out or lose contact. Some flight instruction would have been nice and would have saved me a number of props, but live and learn. I destroyed the first two propellers trying to do a rolling takeoff because I was unaware that it needed nose-up inputs during the takeoff roll.

Anyway, I destroyed the first in a nose-dive from 50 feet and ordered another. After I ordered it, I found all the replacement parts at Hobby Lobby, so I ordered those too. I have flown each one probably 40 or 50 times and am still on the original motors and batteries though one of the LiPo's is starting to die early.

the P-51 is a great flyer and I have had no trouble doing loops, split s's, Immelman's inverted flight, knife edges, you name it. I took it up as high as I could go and still see it clearly then put it straight into a nose dive at full throttle. I pulled out with max elevator input about 20 feet from the ground and it held together beautifully. the only damage I've sustained on either was pilot error (including the first one where the batteries in the transmitter gave out). To actually break anything significant I've had to hit a house, mailbox, car or the ground very hard. Wrapping the motor mount with one wrap of Gorilla Tape greatly increases it's resilliance to abrupt nose impacts. In fact, Gorilla tape is my new best friend with this plane. I've even used a coathanger and gorilla tape to put a wing back on (after the mailbox incident) and the plane still few beautifully.

Sorry for the long post, but for the price and what is included, I recommend it in a second!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Zoechops

Oh yeah, flying and landing with the gear on is great, but I have noted the performance increases notably if you remove the gear and hand-launch/belly-land. But besure to apply some sort of protective coating to the belly. I'vve learned the hardway (again, being a rookie) that spray paint doesn't play nicely with foam!!! :banghead:
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM
LICobra

Zoechops....I didn't like the original paint job so I repainted like the parkzone mustang...still waiting to maiden this bird.

Name:	Yw66757.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1092581  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Zoechops

Cobra, that is a beautiful job! Can you tell me what kind of paint you use and where you can get it? I want to do some custom detailing to one of my birds. The other one has become my 'recon' bird. I received a FlyCamOne2 for Christmas and have been shooting video like crazy. I'm modifying the 2nd P-51 to carry the camera at any angle. It's beautiful!

Also, has anyone experimented with a different motor in the Art-Tech P-51?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 PM
neal_nelson

Well, thanks to you guys I ordered this, my first plane. It's pretty impressive for the money, 72MHz was $150 and HL now has the 2.4GHz F4U Corsair for $190, Doh! I don't have much to report, it went together really well, and tested well, but it's been too windy to do anything but try to get it to go straight on the ground. Thanks for getting me started!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Witterings

ORIGINAL: neal_nelson

Well, thanks to you guys I ordered this, my first plane. It's pretty impressive for the money, 72MHz was $150 and HL now has the 2.4GHz F4U Corsair for $190, Doh! I don't have much to report, it went together really well, and tested well, but it's been too windy to do anything but try to get it to go straight on the ground. Thanks for getting me started!
You say your 1st plane, does that mean you have no previous flying experience, if so I think you'll totally destroy that plane within 10 seconds as it's not a beginners plane at all.
If you are a newbie and want some advice for something suitable to start with let us know but really don't try and fly that on your own !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.