Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Thinking outside the box (Scratch build)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Thinking outside the box (Scratch build)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
phatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking outside the box (Scratch build)

I originally posted this over in the 1/2a forum, but those guys arent very interested because its going to be electric. I wanted to post here to show you guys, maybe you all will have more opinions. Im looking for opinions good or bad, suggestions, or anything that might help me build this and get her flying.

I finally got back into RC flight (read got divorced!), and I got a stellar idea from youtube! Apparently a few people here and there are building planes from the foam board insulation at home improvement stores. So....enter the "Ryleigh Roooo" My Daughter Ryleigh named it! Shes 3, lol.

This will be a complete learn as you go process. Basically Im hotwiring out the parts, laminating where needed, hand sanding airfoils and shape, installing some micro electric gear and going flying. It will be 4ch complete with ailerons(twin servos), rudder, elevator, and throttle.

Yes it is going to remain pink when done as a tribute to my mom and breast cancer awareness. lol Enough talk here are pics.

Got more done today.

And Im picking this up next week in trade for some aquarium equipment.

I dont want to type alot Im tired so here are the updated pics from what got done tonight.

There are a few imperfectons but I think Im going to brush something on the leading edge as a protectant and hopefully that will fill it up a little. Im thinking about using some thin paper of some kind soaked in a mixture of water and elmers glue, then lay that down on the LE, and get the bubbles out. That should strengthen the LE a bit, and cover the imperfections. Remember Im not painting this thing to keep the weight down, so whatever I use would have to look decent. Also this is only sanded with 60 grit. I still have to finish it with 220, and I havent shaped the wing tips yet at all!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from ebay for the project. Motor, ESC, battery, servos, reciver, clevises, pushrods, control horns, motor mount, props, spinner, low batt LED, wheels, carbon fiber tube for the main wing, etc. All the "stuff" I need. I have recieved about 1/2 of the items I ordered, but the main things I need to continue arent here yet. I need the motor, the battery, ESC, servos, and reciever so I can set the CG.

I did some calculations, and here are some specs:

Wingspan - 30.25"
Root Chord - 7.5"
Tip Chord - 4"
Average Chord - 5.75"
Wing area - 174"

Im hoping to get some work done tonight on her, and have some more pics to post late tonight!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
flyinsolo11

Default RE: Thinking outside the box (Scratch build)

Looks beautiful! Please keep posting pics and videos- I have always been interested in the insulation foam planes...

What did you use for glue? Epoxy?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
phatboy

The glue is Locktite spray adhesive number 200. Its made for foam, and it wont burn this stuff.

Thanks for the compliment. There will definitly be more pics tonight. Im in one of those late night work on all my RC stuff moods!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 PM
phatboy

Progress tonight! Im too tired to type! I really wish my other stuff would come in. Also does anyone have any suggestions for how to connect the two elevator halves?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
LonnieMcc

Hey Phatboy,

Great job so far.

But I do have a question, where do you guys fly? I remember flying over by the airport back in the late 90's lol

Now I belong to NorthShore R/C and we fly over here in Picayune.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Saburo Sakai

Love of flying is the heart, thespirit of this sport, and Innovation is the spearhead. Charge on! So you're not gonna' paint that Purple P-51? That could be her name. I guess that's a visible color as a base, actually.
Hey, what's under the cowl of that tri-bladed biplane? Got some power under there?
I hope you'll post some videe of both in the air! Also, for coating, many have sworn by Minwax spray in Polyethylene and Polyurethane; to fill in holes/ rough spots/ general aerodynamic smoothing. I'd test it on a spare piece of foam first, of course.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
phatboy

Thanks guys. Lonnie, I used to fly at the Bog airport when I was a kid, but they shut it down when Bog became a city instead of a munincipality. A friend and I just fly in his cow field, but I do have an AMA number and would like to get in on some fly days soon! Pm me any info you have about northshore r/c. Im sure my buddy wouldnt mind if you wanted to come fly with us one day. He is learning how to fly helis, so he just helps me and watches alot, lol.

Saburo one of the guys over in the 1/2a forum suggested I use the product in the link below. It looks very promising, and I really like the simplicity of it. The plane will remain breast cancer pink, and have black script lettering. Top of the left wing will say "Ryleigh", top of the right wing will say "Rooooooo" in some girly script. Im thinking about putting the slogan "This ones for the girls" down both sides, but Im not sure yet.

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...f28fb5b8b7b3b6

The bipe is a stock Eflight Pitts, more info can be found in the link below.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2550

I have a video of the maiden flight of my airmadillo, more vids soon though.

http://youtu.be/torMQMixUvA
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
phatboy

Once again, the pics are fairly straight forward. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am doing this! lol

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
phatboy

Well tonight was not as productive. I am going to have to rethink parts of this as you will see

Got the Servos and Reciever fitted, the extra space at the top of the reciever is for the extra wiring from the Y harness.

Didnt like it just being open so I opened a pack of balsa and got to thinking.

I had some tiny rare earth magnets laying around

So I made a cover.

Fits nicely needs something to grab to open it with though.

Started hinging the ailerons, and this happened. So Im going to the hobby store tomorrow to get some balsa, some CA, and a few other items. I am going to revamp the tail with balsa instead of foam, and I am going to build the ailerons out of balsa so I can properly hinge them. Stay tuned.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Saburo Sakai

Man, you've put solid work into her! I hope you've got a field with no trees within a thousand yardsto maiden her in, and no neighbors' dogs running around lookin' for trouble.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
phatboy

Thanks Saburo, I actually do have a field to fly in (see post up a ways with the airmadillo video). Unfortunatly there are a couple dogs in the neighborhood, but I have a Ruger SR9c they cant outrun that pretty much stays strapped to my belt!

Just got back from the hobby shop with an 87$ bill, lol. I have everything to finish her now except the engine, esc, battery, and a way to charge the battery. All but the charger are on the way though!

Huge update tonight. No more spoilers, only pics to show the changes I am making!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
phatboy

I am working on the plane again tonight. Will have pics soon! One question though. How much airflow around a lipo battery is necessary? I have this thing fitting in there perfectly. BTW I went with some sugesstions of others and stepped it down from a 2200mah to a 1000 mah battery.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
phatboy

I will let the pics to do the talking.