Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub SS

Seeing te New ZHH carbon cub SS a little larger than the Champ is released for sales soon at $170.00

take a look at Horizon hobby.

a interesting plane at that

Product Description
    Key Features

AS3X System for smooth handling and precise control, even in moderate winds
    Includes a top-mounted, ultra micro-size sailplane tow hook
    Perfect for aerotowing! The tow hook equipped UMX Carbon Cub SS makes an ideal tug for the UMX ASK-21 (EFLU1280)
    Converts to a floatplane quickly with optional E-flite float set (EFLUA1190)
    Full five-channel control with flaps to enjoy slower flight and shorter takeoffs and landings
    Navigation wing lights and landing light installed
    6-channel DSMX Ultra Micro AS3X/RX/BL ESC unit with Spektrum technology
    High-output 180BL, 2500Kv brushless outrunner motor
    E-flite 180mAh 2S Li-Po battery and balance charger
    Five performance ultra micro long-throw servos

Needed To Complete

- 4+ channel DSM2- or DSMX-compatible full range transmitter (5+ channels required for flap operation

If you wish to charge the included battery from an AC power source, you will need the optional power supply (EFLC4000)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-bnf-EFLU1180

RE: Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub SS

More info is up on HH site now... and a longer vid...

I've been looking into another micro since I got the SU26XP... almost got a UM 4-Site or a night vapor... I think this one has a better chance ending up in my hangar...

Hope to see more info on here once they're flight tested ... and a vid with the floats...
    Love my TEKIN,..and a Tupperware! Happy Landings
    DX3s, AX10 FX-R 55t, Pede w/VXL, VXL Revo, Extra300(PZ) ,Gemini, etc

Looks great, seems to have plenty of power. Prices keep going up, but this one has a lot going for it. I'll probably have one sooner or later but I'll wait until I've seen the new Mig first.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very cool plane indeed! I've been waiting for HH to come out with a plane like this. I will have to have one!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just about preordered one when i saw you could get a super cub lp BNf for the same price. Pretty cool toy though. might be my next purchase after the sbach or extra 400
    Sage Hills Pilot

Check out my youtube page!

www.youtube.com/sagehillspilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just got mine today butits raining cant wait to fly it . It looks awesome flats tow hook it has all the bells and whistles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hardly even come to the forums, but I have flown the carbon cub for 10 sessions (two batts) per session and I am very impressed with this plane. I consider myself a very advanced beginner, having owned 5 HH planes, a 3D plane, and a multiplex Minimag.

Firstly, out of the previous 5 HH micros I owned, 2 were lemons and I was considering giving up on HH. However I was intrigued by the E-flite Cabon Cub. The lights would certainly help for my late evening flights. Add the flaps and BL motor, I had to give HH another chance.

The build quality is top notch. The wings are very rigid with the spars. The wheels are nice and thick and look like they can absord quote a hard landing. The smoked windscreen is absolutely gorgeous. The tailplane is rather thin and weak and would't take too much punishment. The battery compartment and comparment lid is nice and solid and closes with a nice quality click. Overall I still give it a solid 10 for build qualty.

The Carbon Cub flies really well. She can go real slow. Definately not a fast plane. The control surfaces are a little small in my opinion and I set my controller to high rate and shifted all the linkages for more movement. Still I wish she had slightly larger control surface. This is especially so since I like to fly slow.

The BL motor doesn't have alot of power, but certainly enough to accelerate myself out of stalls (or at least before it stalls). I seldom fly her at full power. Infact I normally fly her at 1/4 to half throttle. i'd bring her fairly high to practice some simple tricks, then glide her down on 1/5 throttle to kinda relax and do a few low passes before going high again to practice.

I crashed her fairly hard twice, both times trying to fly inverted. I crashed with pretty much full throttle just before impact before shutting the throttle. Both times she crashed headfirst upside down. The front top cowl is slightly cracked, and the fuslage just behind the the front cowl is slighly crushed. I havent glue her back. i just sort of massaged the foam until she was a little straighter and went flying again.

The first crash while practicing an inverted flight, i think I entered interveted with too little speed. She went inverted and kept losing altitude even with my right thumb pushing full down elevator. I didn't have enough altitude to recover and I didn't have enough practice to shut the throttle. Bam! ( I fly over fairly thick grass, not concrete)

I readjusted the linkages for more travel and went flying again. This time without sufficent warming up, i went inverted, this time with more speed. However with my brain still cold, i crashed it again. Harder this time, same with full throttle. I approached her slowly and saw she wasn't correctly aligned. I turned her oven slowly and saw that the wing strut had come off and the wheel cover and come off. Pushed them back together and breathe a sign of relief. I promised myself to be more careful in the future.

By my 8th session, i was getting very comfortable to her handling and started to fly her real low and slow. Just easy scale flying, except really low. This is when i realised how fantastic the ASX was. on a real calm day going really slow, i could hear the servos correcting vigourously, probably prevent a tip stall. If you didn't hear them whirring about furiously, you'd wouldn't know they were working. Now I am completely sold on ASX. It really widens the flight envelope. It may be dumbing me down, but I certainly enjoyed the low slow passes.

I havent used the flaps much except just prior to landing. all I will say is that the Cub will gett a sudden burst of lift and climb about a foot to a foot and a half. I havent really flown it with the flaps down over a period of time to judge the handling characteristic. Anyway get ready to elelator down when the flaps extend unrealistically fast. You could of course program this into your controller (if you wanted to dumb yourself down)

I use both the original 180mAH and a spare 200 mAH. i find pushing it as far forward as you can helps. She has a little tendency to porpoise if there's insufficent weight up front. With the batt way up front, this tendency is much reduced, though not totally eliminated. still its a small problem. I just need to remember to slight down elevator after banking her gently for another nice face level fly past so that I can admire her more closely as she motors gently by.

The Carbon cub is a scale flying plane with just a slight hint of sportiness. Very slight. The roll rate is atrocious, the rudder has little athourity. The power is adequate only. But she is a very scale looking plane and low slow passes are a joy to behold. The lights are invisble in the day, but as dusk approaches, they do help you orientate your plane. Understandly with my slow flying, I have no complaints about flight duration and in fact Ihave nevereven flown hertill themotor cuts off.(Sorry I dont time my flights). Three batteries should be good enough for a nice session.

I highly recommend this plane. i would probably buy another just to make sure I always have this little gem ready to roll. Most likely I will get floats for the second cub, because I am totally confident to land this girl in the pond. I'm not sure I am qualified to recommend this to newbies, as she can still power up, roll over and get crumpled, but then again all aircraft can do that. Still maybe for a second plane because she is a little too pretty to get banged up.

I was debating the benefits of ASX (gyros). i believe its definately better. i am sure I enjoy flying more with the ASX. i will definately be getting the Beast ASX as the 'little' cub is alittle shy to do aerobatics, and they share the same battery and charger. And also the Mig. I guess my faith in HH has been restored.

I might check in the forum alittle bit to see whats up with the carbon Cub, so if you have any questions, i hope I can help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys - Got mine last weekend and went to set it up yesterday and had problems. I am running a 9303, I had it setting level on the table, plugged the battery in and it went through it's sequence, and then I turned on my Tx with the bind button pressed and as soon as it took hold the flaps went down, no biggy, but the right aileron went full up. The left hand one was perfectly centered. I tried the aileron's and the left one worked perfect but got no down out of the right one at all. I unplugged it and reversed the gear servo for the flaps, and was trying to figure out what to do to get the right aileron down. I decided I might try to rebind it, went through the process again and this time it just stayed up and then all of a sudden I started to hear a whine that started to get higher in pitch. I'm hoping the gear didn't strip out.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I should try next??

Thanks guys
    ****** Gregg******
    Rule one: No matter what else happens, fly the airplane.
    Rule two: Fly it until the last piece stops moving.
    You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

This little model is just cute as a button and it performs faster than my large E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e. You just got to keep some airspeed when attempting to land, especially in Dead Calm conditions otherwise it will slam down hard or bounce on landing.

Here is a Video capture of my Buddy and his Carbon SS, enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqMiaHPB_9A[/youtube]

I was wondering weather or not you guys think it would be worth putting the 3000KV motor in this plane. I have switched out the 2500 on my Beast 3D and installed the 3000KV, and it made a world of difference. Now the UMX Beast is truely 3D.I understand that the Carbon Cub is a different type of airframe, but I'm planning to fly one from floats and thought the extra HP might be worth it.Thanks,Bert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101

I was wondering weather or not you guys think it would be worth putting the 3000KV motor in this plane. I have switched out the 2500 on my Beast 3D and installed the 3000KV, and it made a world of difference. Now the UMX Beast is truely 3D.I understand that the Carbon Cub is a different type of airframe, but I'm planning to fly one from floats and thought the extra HP might be worth it.Thanks,Bert
    I personally do not think a higher Kv motor will enhance this model to provide any increased off water performance as the trick is in the lift and not raw power.

Rise Off Water, your model needs to over come the water tension on the floats and provide a good step to do this and it seems like Horizon has designed this model perfectly for raise off water.

The Video I posted shows a model completely stock and it is pretty fast and performance is just amazing.

Yes, it is totally different than your Beast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This is a great plane! These videos show my buddy John having a great time with his:

just got mine today butits raining cant wait to fly it .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by adrthatxftghwen View Post
    just got mine today butits raining cant wait to fly it .
    Have fun with it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by adrthatxftghwen View Post
    just got mine today bu**** raining cant wait to fly it .
    How are you liking it?

My buddy continues to love his! I got a new camcorder and used it to record him flying his Carbon Cub yesterday in snow on floats:

This is the best $170 I have ever spent
    Back Roads Outlaws Revver #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That is great to hear! When did you get it?