Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone ultra micro j-3 motor swap with Hobbyzone Champ?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone ultra micro j-3 motor swap with Hobbyzone Champ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parkzone ultra micro j-3 motor swap with Hobbyzone Champ?

I am an experienced glo flyer visiting over here on the "dark side" (electric planes), so please don't stone me or try to burn me at the stake with my glo fuel for the fire source! I come in peace. I picked up an ultra micro Parkzone J-3 Cub from a "fleebay" auction. I have seen them fly and the are big time cute. Mine was sold as "new in the box but the prop is missing". Well the prop is missing because the prop shaft is broken off. I under stand this is the common weak point on this plane. OK, I want to fix it. I have found replacement props and prop shafts and could go that route or, is it possible to replace the J-3 motor gearbox and prop shaft with a like assembly from the Hobbyzone Champ? Correct me if I'am wrong but isn't the weak prop shaft problem less on the Champ? I believe the ESC is the same on both planes and the Champ uses a slightly different battery, 120/150 amp. Has anyone done this motor assembly swap or will it not fit in the J-3?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well so far I got 46 "views" and no "replies" to my question, so the old "glo guy" will figure it out for himself. I ordered a replacement Champ motor/gearbox assembly and a Champ prop and received them today. Here's what I know so far...the Champ motor is larger and will require trimming the width of the mounts and a little foam removal to fit into the Cub nose. The Champ prop is much larger in diameter and will not clear the ground for R.O.G. takeoffs, hand launch only and cut the engine before touchdown. Maybe the Cub prop can be drilled out to fit the thicker Champ prop shaft. I'll see when I do the swap. For now I will fly it a little with the stock motor. I did a little in my yard today and it seems underpowered. If my "underpowered" assessment proves true, I will do the swap soon.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:40 AM
fwilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

long time ago, but I upgraded my cub for the same reason, but I put in a motor from a P-51. NICE