Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can ANYONE answer this GWS Zero question???

Hello all,

I've asked this question repeatedly at a few other forums and so far no answers. I'm hoping someone here can answer it.

I have a GWS Zero I got in '07, and just holding up the fuse and wing I can see clearly that this bird has the problem with the Angle of Incidence.

Rather than lower the AOI of the leading edge of the wing I'm considering lowering the trailing edge of the horizontal stab.

Has anyone done this, an anything remotely similar? Will it even work? If it's feasible then how much do I drop the stab? Same amount or some percentage?

If anyone can answer this, thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Can ANYONE answer this GWS Zero question???

**SIGH**

20 views and no replies....more of the same.

Anyone care to chime in with a comment? *ANYTHING*...?

I'll try to give it a shot. As you have indicated, the horizontal stab must have some negative AOI relative to the wing. The tricky part is the experimentation in figuring out just how much and can it be trimed out in flight before crashing. It turns out that I am not very good at getting it right on maiden flights even with planes that are set up accurately. You might try searching for useful information on the web regarding basic aerodynamics. Maybe you could find a friend with a similar looking plane that could get get you close enough to enjoy a crash free maiden. It might help to use maximum expo and more than needed elevator deflection angles for the first flight. If the ship can be controled, land quickly over grass' and decrease expo and elevator deflection to something you can be comfortable with.

Let us know how you come out. Hope these ideas can help.

Out.

[]

__________________________________________________ ___
    FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

Spitfire Brotherhood #64 Post # 407 - Battle of Britain & Wiinston Churchill relevance to modeling

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

I'll try to give it a shot. As you have indicated, the horizontal stab must have some negative AOI relative to the wing. The tricky part is the experimentation in figuring out just how much and can it be trimed out in flight before crashing. It turns out that I am not very good at getting it right on maiden flights even with planes that are set up accurately. You might try searching for useful information on the web regarding basic aerodynamics. Maybe you could find a friend with a similar looking plane that could get you close enough to enjoy a crash free maiden. It might help to use maximum expo and more than needed elevator deflection angles for the first flight. If the ship can be controled, land quickly over grass' and decrease expo and elevator deflection to something you can be comfortable with.

Let us know how you come out. Hope these ideas can help.

Out.

[]

FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

Spitfire Brotherhood #64 Post # 407 - Battle of Britain & Wiinston Churchill relevance to modeling
    PS I don't know how this happened.

deleted

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had a couple of the GWS Zeros. As you know it was originaly power by the 300-350 geared motor and NICADs for battery. The plane flew decent for the day, but as brushless came around the positive incidence in the wing was a problem with the power available.
    The way I and many others cured the problem was to sand the wing saddle down, actually up, about 1/8th of a inch from the high point of the airfoil to the trailing edge. This allowed the wing to twist so it pointed down taking out the too much positive incidence. Some did change the horizontal stab angle, but the sanding to me was the simplest and worked. It is a great flying little cheap foamy

Happy flying
    Bob