Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

New to Electrics! Need some help!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New to Electrics! Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Textanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Electrics! Need some help!

I flew, and crashed, a friends Aerobird this afternoon at a park. I thought that it would be kind of a joke, and now I can't stop thinking about getting an electric! I would love to be able to go out to the park around the corner and fly my plane instead of having to drive outside the city (Houston is BIG!) to crank up my big bird. I have extensive experience building and flying, but electric world is something I have NO experience in. I would like a plane that has ailerons and would be relatively easy to fly, but also has the capability if doing some advanced aerobatics as well. I wouldn't mind building it, but an ARF would be OK as well. I have been looking at the GWS kits, especially the warbirds. OK, enough of my rambling, advice?
Old 08-31-2003, 05:17 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

All out aerobatics? Radical R/C Edge 540
www.radicalrc.com
Old 08-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

There's really a better selection out there than most people realize. Here's some places you may be interested in.

Stevens Aero
Mountain Models
Todds Models
Aero Lock Models
Hobby Lobby
Hobby People
Wild RC
Old 09-01-2003, 09:47 AM
eflyer2

My suggestion would be to go with Mountain Models, great planes for every form of flying and a lot of help from Doug.
Ef
Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 PM
sargentw

If you are still prone to crashing you might try a Sky Scooter Pro II. Mine flies great does rolls and loops all over the place. The Plane can take rough landings and is easy to repair. I get about 15 min flights with a Radio Shack 9.6v 1600 mah nimh battery.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:10 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New to Electrics! Need some help!

the Aerobird is a great first plane. Note that they have just released a
new version of the Aerobird called the Aerobird Challenger that should be even
better than the original.

Another post mentiones the Sky Scooter. I like that plane too and recommended it to a friend. It is a cool plane, but harder to fly than the Aerobird. One reason is that it is low wing plane so it will not self level to that same degree the Aerobid, or any other high wing plane will tend to do.

How about a personal review of the Aerobird from a new RCer, me.

I would recommend this as a first plane for people on a tight budget, who are
flying in an open grass field, very large parking lot, large school yard or
large athletic field. I would also recommend this plane for people who are planning to learn to fly on their own as it is very easy to fly. I fly in a large open field
and taught myself to fly.

I would not recommend it to people who will be flying at a highly controlled
field where landing on a runway is mandatory. These types of fields usually
require a buddy box for new pilots and the Aerobird's radio will not take a
buddy cord. Also, there is no steerable wheel on the plane so you can not
effectively taxi around the field.

I looked at the Firebird II, XL, Fighterbird and other two channel planes.
They are fun, but limited. Among other things they are very easy to lose in
the wind as you can not put the nose down to come back against the wind. This
makes them very easy to lose if you fly in more than 5-7 MPH winds. With
three channels you have a lot more control, so I went with the Aerobird.

I was not interested in building. I wanted a RTF that could take some
punishment. After several months of research, talking to people, flyers and
non, I bought an Aerobird and am very happy with the plane. Here are the
plusses and minuses as I see it after 80+ flights.

The Aerobird is very inexpensive and rugged for a three channel starter -
$120 (e-bay) to $150 RTF at your local hobby store.
The plane comes complete and fully assembled. Charge the flight battery, put
on the wing, put in the transmitter batteries (included) and up you go! Don't
forget to watch the included Video and read the friendly manual, RTFM.

A new flyer, particularly a self taught flyer is going to crash. You want a
plane that can survive this period however if you crash too hard, there is a
full line of parts available at reasonable cost. You can replace the whole
main fuselage for $49 including the motor and all the flight electronics. A
wing is $15 and the tail is $9. So, if you crash badly you can get everything
for under $75 and you are back in the with a three channel plane.

Batteries and charger:

The battery will run for a full 5-6 minutes at full throttle and 12-15 minutes
at half throttle. Unlike many of the 2 channel starter planes that come with a
2-3 hour house charger, the Aerobird it comes with a peak charger that you can
use in your car. If you pick up two spare batteries you can stay in the air
all day. A full charge takes about 40 minutes.

The Aerobird also has an X-Pak hop up kit available for about $30. It includes
a 7 cell battery (the basic is 6) and a larger tail. This makes the plane
faster and more maneuverable. So, once you get good you can soup it up! I
bought the X-Pak when I bought mine. I used the 7 cell as my second battery
and saved the tail for later. I have since gone to the X-Tail.

WIND

All new flyers should start in winds under 5 MPH so that you are learning to
fly the plane rather than fighting the wind. I didn't do that and crashed a
lot because of the wind. However, now I am very comfortable flying this plane
in 10-15 MPH winds.

27 MHZ vs 72 MHZ Radio

The Aerobird uses a 27 MHZ radio which is assigned to general use for planes,
cars and boats; mostly low end stuff. There are only 6 available channels, so,
if you have a kid with a RC car in the same area where you are flying, and he
is on the same channel you are on, and he switches on his transmitter, you
will lose control of the plane and probably crash. With 72 MHZ radio
systems, this will happen if you get two flyers on the same channel, but 72
MHZ is dedicated to airplanes and has 50 channels available. I have never had
this problem, but it can
happen.

I love the single stick radio. The rudder and elevator are on the stick and
the throttle is on a slide under your left thumb. It is similar to a Futaba
or Hitec single stick arrangement. I find it very comfortable to use and
other flyers who have tried it say they find it easy as well.

Join a club if there is one in your area. Some clubs will not admit 27
MHZ based planes because they can't be flown with a buddy box, a dual control
system, that is used for pilot training.
That was not an issue for me as my club, www.lisf.org, admits these planes.
After long consideration I bought the Aerobird,

Here is a review of the Aerobird
http://www1.wildhobbies.com/news/def...&articleid=853
On these pages you will find Videos of the Aerobird in flight
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/aerobird_video.html
http://www.modelflight.com.au/model_flight_videos.htm

If you are looking for yoru first plane, another plane I like is the Sky
Scooter Pro II. You can get it as an ARF or as a RTF package with a 72 MHZ
Hitec 3 channel radio for about $160. When I bought the Aerobird, this
package was $260, now it is $160 and well worth your consideration.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/Pro2.htm
Videos
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/videos.htm

So, that's my evaluation of the Aerobird and why I purchased it. It has been
my vehicle to learn to fly. I don't work for hobbyzone, nor am I compensated
in any way for my review of the plane. I am just a very satisfied customer.

Can you move on to other planes from an Aerobird? Sure!

With what I have learned flying the Aerobird, and some helpful guidance from
members of our club, I have now expanded my flying with the addition of a pure
sailplane, a Great Planes Spirit Select RTF package.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma16.html If you want to see something
exciting, watch a sailplane being launched from a hi-start, then gracefully
float across the sky like a sailboat on the sea.

I have also added an Electrajet which is a 3 channel delta wing type plane.
http://www.backyardflyer.com/BY/arti...electrajet.asp The
Electrajet is an ARF, so it had to do some building and add the electroncis
myself. This plane is much harder to fly than the Aerobird.

I have two friends in the club who have had other planes for years. After
flying my Aerobird, both bought Aerobirds of their own and are having a ball
with them. One even successfully thermals with his.

Whatever plane you choose, I hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:34 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

Man Aeajr you are everywhere! You are as seroious as I am about the Aerobird! I always find you what I search Aerobird ANYWHERE. Cool! Man sure is getting dark earlier. I will have to come to LI early or spend the night. I want to come before winter. But may have to wait till then.

My Friend that lives there is in France. I knew they were going but forgot. Got e-mail saying that.. I was really coming and saty with tem... That is too much for me for a day trip and fly all day. and get back on the traina all the way back the New Haven. I would be pooped.

But I am coming man. I got my fuselage today and X-tail from Hobby-Warehouse. I get my other Fuse tomorrow from Hobbyzone. So I put it all together this afternoon and ready. I wanted to tell you that I went o cheapbatterypacks.com and Mike there did me right. He sent the wrong size plug which i sent a picture and he said he went and looked at the Aerobird and he still sent m ethe wrong one. I sent iyt back and he is sending me an extra 7 cell pack for my trouble. Aeajr, you will not believe this place. You can build your own battery pack. These are the good batteries. A 7 cell 8,4 will be like an 8 cell on what we use. So we found out that the plug is a mini plug then you will have no problems. You should see this place cool. I will do all my battery business with them. He promised i would see a difference in power. I will be set on my Aerobirds. I am going Saturday and pay down on my Trainer package from the Hobby store. I am changing radios though. I do noit want the one that comes with it. It is discontinued anyway. I thougt I told you I got a package deal from my hobby shop and he is the president of out AMA club too here. I got the Tower Hobbie Super Star. with the OS engine. I got thwe big field case that will hole the plane too. It comes stocked with a gallon on 15% fuel, An elecrtic starter, all electric box with all batteries, electric fueling, extra props, power meters, all banana plugs. PLUS free lessons one day a week till December about 10 lessons. I haven't flew a 4 channel in 20 years so i need the instruction. I will take it! I am getting the Futaba 6EXA 6 Channel FM/4 S3004 Servos it has a 6 plane memory withteh memory trim computer type Radio. I thought I may as well get a good Radio since I will be staying in the sport and this would be a smart thing to do. THe radio sells for $179.99. Not bad at all. So I will have about $500.00 in it. BUT My hobby store ALSO finishes putting it together and trims out the plane, they do everything. You get it and you go to the field to fly..cool huh? That was worth it to me right now in my life. Ii am excited. Maybe I will have it by the time I get there to visit. I know I will have at least the Aerobird...You got to come this way too! I will introduce you to the guys here and the field where you can come here anytime you want They are abunch of the nicest guy you ever met. They have been real nice to me.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Procrastinator
My Feedback: (1)

TEX,
If you looking at GWS, I would like to steer you away from the A-10 Warthog! I have that model, and its pretty! but it is more a model than an RC plane.
I had to buy it, TWIN ducted fans, ailerons, and cool looks! But, it suffers in the flight department! [:@]JUST A HEADS UP.

My batteries are charging, and soon, I shall be up there... AGAIN!
Check out our cool site at
http://groups.msn.com/HobbyzoneRCPla...Clubunofficial
Big Thanks form the Procrastinator
Old 09-11-2003, 07:32 AM
sargentw

Tex,

Many report good luck with the Aerobird and at the same time an equal number have had bad experiences. I am one where the Aerobird did not meet expectations. I offer you personal experience with owning and flying several park flyers.

Park flying is a blast and it can be done at several locations near home. You just have to stay away from the fall soccer players.

Good Luck,

Tad

New flyers might find my brief Park Flyer history helpful.

My first plane was a Slow Stik. At the time, I didn't know what I was doing and kept stalling and breaking props. Things like center of gravity (COG) and other basic flying concepts weren't getting properly grasped. So I put the Stik aside and ran down to the local hobby store and bought a Firebird II. This is the plane I learned how to fly on. I paid the price; hung it up in trees and even had one go too far up and get blown away never to be seen again. The Firebird II has no elevator control and cannot do very tight turns. However, the Firebird II is inexpensive, crashworthy, and will give the new pilot very important "Stick time" in which to become familiar with turning the plane while flying towards and away from a given reference point.

Next I bought an Aerobird and it about killed me. One day it flies ok and the next day it crashes. The Aerobird always had something going wrong with it, servos, radio, tail boom, COG shift, etc. My Aerobird has been sold and is no longer in my hangar.

Next I bought a GWS Tiger Moth and this plane really built my 3 ch confidence back up after the Aerobird nearly killed it. The Moth is easy to fly and land on those breezeless evenings. After flying the Moth I went back to the Slow Stik and learned to fly it in all types of conditions.

I also now have a Graupner "Super" Terry that flies like a demon. The Terry cannot take rough landings so I would not call it a beginner's plane. The Terry also can fly very fast very quickly and can catch the novice off guard. The Terry is a great acrobatic sport plane that can get you into a little thermal riding. Also the Terry's tail feathers and wing are removable and can neatly pack up in the original box and travel with you.

A couple of months ago I bought the Sky scooter Pro II to practice landings to build up a confidence level with the Terry landings and try a plane with ailerons. The Scooter is a blast to fly and the upgrades purchased at Servo City make plane really perform. The scooter can easily do loops and rolls, land hard and fast if needed. The Scooter would make a great beginners plane. You do need a large field, especially if you are a new R/C pilot.

If I did it all again I would have bought the Scooter instead of the Aerobird. The planes cost about the same but with the Scooter you get real R/C gear and a plane that flies and turns a heck of alot better. The Scooter has a high mount swept wing that is extremely stable even in 10+ MPH winds. High altitude and distant orientation is easy with the Scooter because it casts a triangular image and looks like the pointer of a PC mouse.

In conclusion, I could have learned to fly using the Scooter. Based on what I know now, the Sky Scooter would have been a better first plane choice for me going the self taught route.

Fair winds.....
Old 09-11-2003, 07:44 AM
aeajr

As noteted in my earlier post, I think the Sky Scooter Pro II is a great little plane. When I bought the Aerobird it was about $100 more, but now they are about the same price.

Having flown both now I would say the Aerobird is easier and is more self correcting, but the Scooter can definately be a first plane if you have some help.

I find flying an aileron plane a little more difficult than a high wing rudder elevator plane. The banking of the plane, if you don't bring it back to level, can be a little difficult to manage. However remember I started on a rudder elevator plane so that is my point of reference.

However each person is different. I love my Aerobird. Following mine there are a bunch of them in our club. Now we have a Sky Scooter Pro II and inital flights with that seem to confirm my original liking of the plane based upon reivews.

Either should be a good plane. Make sure you have PLENTY of room with either plane as they are not real slow planes.

Hobbyzone recommends a minimum of 600X600 for new pilots with any of their planes. This is the equivalent of two football fields by 4 football fields in open space.

Do your early flights with under 5 MPH winds and you should be fine. Wind is the monster that eats so many beginners and their planes.

Enjoy!
Old 09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
cwat212

The GWS planes are a blast. They fly great and are tons of fun.

I am warning you that they are extremely addictive!!!!

I have the GWS Zero and love it. There have many different planes - ME109, P51, Zero, Corsair....and on and on... They cost $49 unpainted or $59 painted - includes motor and prop.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:23 AM
rdeis

For an experienced pilot that wants aerobatics and the "coolness" of a warbird, GWS is the way to go. They are ARF.

Mountain Models' Tantrum is a highly aerobaic, and an excellent flyer. It has more the look of a pattern ship. It's a laser cut balsa kit, but some experienced builders on the forum find it and easier and faster build than the even GWS airplanes. Doug puts a lot of time in to developing and supporting his kits.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:22 AM
flying klown

sargentw,
I sure would like to know what was wrong with your Aerobird. I havbe had many and the onlky problem I have is with the spare parts like a replacement fuse...I am still working on that. I am having to get a new TX to make sure that is the problem. I remember dropping my TX but it was not a bad drop. But I guess enough to hurt it. I started having troubles after that. I broke the fall with my foot so I thought all was ok. I have got three replacement fuselages and the first was bad. The right servo. I had not dropped my TX then. That is why I was so bent on it being he fuse that was bad.

But when I buy the whole kit all works fine. So this is what I am going to do is buy a TX they are cheap and see if that is the problem. If not OII am packing everything I have bought as spares parts and I am in contact with Horizon Hobby and send to them and see if they can find out wahat is wrong.

BUT otyher tan that. I have enjoyed flying the Aewrobird and had more fun then troubles. Did you crash your plane a lot? You said you had good das and then the next bad. Did you check your Radio and all that? OIt sounds like you were having the same problems I was having. I would like to know more if you don't mind....
Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM
sargentw

I had three wings (one covered with oracover), two Fuses, two extreme batteries, two standard batteries, two extreme tail feathers, two regular tail feathers. I sold the whole lot and bought a Sky Scooter with the money.

Like you, I wanted to be sure I gave this thing a chance. Knowing what I know now I hung in there too long. Take the Sky Scooter for example, component by component is a better total package in my opinion and other experienced fliers. It also flies better and turns better, especially at slow speeds. This can keep you out of the woods

I was plagued with frustrating component problems with the Aerobird. Sure I crashed and jarred everything in the Aerobird and caused problems, however, I simply do not have these same problems with my stik, moth, Terry, and Sky Scooter. I've crashed the Scooter too and suffered nothing except gluing the motor back in.

The Aerobird might be better if they put quality servos in it and used a 72 MHz am radio. Maybe they have done some upgrades to the Challenger Aerobird. I think the Aerobird is a cool looking plane and I wished it worked better for me.

Good luck.

Tad
Old 09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
flying klown

Hi Tad,
Yes I am going through the "give it a cahnce again" It really served me well until i crashed one too many times. i mean I was amazed. That is why I am going with it. i just bought a new one to keep. But not the new ones that are out. I think the onlty difference is a port in the side. The board is alreay ready to accept the wires on the regular Aeroboird anyway. It is just a gimmick. I wished it was on 72 MHZ as well. I think that would help and if the the servos and receiver board was of better quaility it would be an awesome plane but they would never sell spare parts if they did that! Oh well.... I have a super Star Trainer that I get in one week anyway! I am excited to get back into the gas planes. It has been 20 years. So I am taking lessons for a while too Probably one a week till December should do it! But I am tried of being plagued with frustrating component problems with the Aerobird...I just got to find out if it is from all my crashes and mistakes or is it them? I love flying the Aerobird. I will check your stik, moth, Terry, and Sky Scooter out...got any pictures?

Thanks for your reply

David
Old 09-15-2003, 07:12 PM
aeajr

Sky Scooter video and info
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/videos.htm

Graupner Terry - info and video
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/terry.htm

Tiger Moth in flight - photos
http://www.carbonos.com/rcstuff/tigermoth/\
Tiger Moth Review -
tiger_moth.asp">http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/tiger_moth.asp
Old 09-15-2003, 07:45 PM
flying klown

Aeajr to the rescue! Cool man nice clips. I got to get a video card for my compter!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:19 AM
sargentw

David,

I'm out of town this week. I'll post some pics when I return.

My brother is an experienced R/C power plane flyer. I was down at Va beach last/this summer and let him fly my Terry. His jaw hung open. He said wow! I might have to get one of these. Check out the Terry review on the link Aejar listed above. When setup properly the Terry really does all the stuff the reviewer says it does.

Good Luck with the training when your plane comes in.

Tad
Old 09-17-2003, 01:25 AM
flying klown

Ok Sarg. I will be hanging. Hopefully nothing will happen......
Old 09-18-2003, 01:50 PM
sargentw

Ok, here are some pictures from my hangar. Note the Terry with it's Oracover cover and "extra" wing bolt.

The Firebird II with the red "speed" wing. (the plane I learned with)

Check out the Sky Scooter. You can make em look alot cooler with foam safe spray paint. They don't have to look like the white, over decaled toy that Hi-tec advertises with.

I have been using a Hi-tec CG-340 but bit the bullet and bought a Triton charger. It's expensive but if you get half way serious it is well worth it and tells you alot about your batteries. In addition, it charges the 2400 mah Li-poly battery that's in my Terry.

You guys go for it. Park Flying is a blast!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16564.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	62080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19289.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	62081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67184.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	62082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78230.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	62083  
Old 09-18-2003, 07:44 PM
aeajr

What a great family series. That poor Firebird looks like it has seen better days, but I bet it still flies.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
flying klown

Wow Sarge you have a great collection. I got to do that too! I will have a room one day agin and hang mine. I have three Aerobirds and a Capitol flier Megatech and a Super Star Trainer. Hopefully I will do that too! How do you hang your like that on the wall? Might as well tell me how you are hanging down too!
That is really cool....
Old 09-19-2003, 12:49 PM
sargentw

Actually, the firebird is in fairly good shape. To me it's made a good trainer plane because it's so small and light. Hard crashes don't crack the circuit board or servos. I wish they made it three channels. Note I started with the standard wing then graduated to the faster red wing and hotter batteries, which gives a little, more control in wind.

If you look careful I have used criss crossed fiber packing tape (A-10 wart hog tape) on the leading edges and other locations on several planes. I've used it on the Stik and Moth to reinforce the wings. With this tape those wings simply won't collapse no matter how many loops and dives I do. "A-10 Wart hog" tape; good stuff.

In the mug group shot on the door/wall the only one hanging is the Stik and that's by white string and a thumbtack. The plane hangers are made from small eyebolts and coat hangers. Get needle nose pliers and bend the hangers in such a way so the will support the plane by the wings. The Scooter is on a plastic hanger that I cut then bent with a benzomatic torch. The wire ones work better and let you see more plane. We have 2 dogs and lots of pedestrian traffic the planes need to be stowed up and overhead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81247.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	62286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48299.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	62287  
Old 09-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Gordito Volador

For Park Flying Warbirds you can't go wrong with the GWS line. However the A10 is an under achiever in the stock configuration, and the P51 has the need for speed.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:45 PM
aeajr

Actually, the firebird is in fairly good shape. To me it's made a good trainer plane because it's so small and light. Hard crashes don't crack the circuit board or servos. I wish they made it three channels. Note I started with the standard wing then graduated to the faster red wing and hotter batteries, which gives a little, more control in wind.
The three channel version of the Firebird is the Aerobird. I have one and love it. Like you, it was my trainer. I flew it today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.