Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Problems with GWS P51

Old 09-01-2003, 01:15 AM
gobble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with GWS P51

I just bought the GWS P51 which flies like a rock so far. Its very unstable and doesn't want to gain any altitude. I've broken two props already trying to get the thing into the air. Its either underpowered, not balanced or I just don't know what I'm doing. I used to fly gas planes when I was a kid and consider myself to be a competant pilot. This thing is much harder to fly than my fighterbird. I'll buy some more props and let you know if I figure it out. Anyone else had similar problems?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:09 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

If you use the stock motor you need at least an 8 cell 600 mah nicad. Even better is to buy the new GWS EPS 350C with the "C" gearbox. I run that with a 7 cell 700 nicad and it works like a hot dam!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Craig c

This model is happiest with a lot of airspeed and a bit more nose heavy CG. Check it again,move stuff forward. Your control authority won't come on until you have some speed with this plane.

Skyhawknut got it right,you need more battery. I like the 1200 mah E-tec Lithiums myself.

Wattage sells a 370 motor with a 28 turn wind and a bigger wire dia. It's a direct replacement for the stock motor and it is definitely more powerful than the stock. From the outside they look exactly the same.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:41 PM
RC_Redneck

Hi there. Another P51 bad story.They are a terrible flying airplane.I don't believe for a minute that GWS did there homework and testing on that plane before send them out.My friend bought one and had to make some changes to get it to fly half decent ,like gouging out the battery compartment to move the battery forward.You should'nt have to do anything to these planes accept put your gear in and go. I sratch build all my planes and have for nine or ten year now and have had great success with it. Not one bad story.I just built a plane for my son who just turned nine,mostly foam,45 inch wing,370 geared,8.4-600 mill battery,81's and a 555 receiver.17 oz. just a treat to fly.If you like those war birds the Zero flys much better.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:26 PM
gobble

So what would be a good plane to buy that flies good and is aerobatic?
Old 09-01-2003, 05:19 PM
RC_Redneck

Hi again, I'm not sure what your skill level is gobble but I think the Crazy Max from Global would be alot of fun to fly fast and slow based on what I have read from other peoples theads.I hope this helps .
Old 09-02-2003, 04:54 AM
eaticus
My Feedback: (3)

I fly my completely stock with the 300C power system. I use 6 cell 1400mah NiMH, HS55 servo, and FMA receiver. The AUW is 17.2 oz. The plane flies just fine. Plenty of take-off authorities after a very relaxed throw. I love the plane.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
jimbosstuff1

Hi there, I also have had my share of fun with the gws 51 I think the word here would be dog DOG as it comes form the box... six cell ? It just wallows around and looks for a place to spin-in and become a kit again, More horse power,, 8-cells a 10-8 and the plane gets a attitude. clean it up and drop the landing gear and keep the control throws to the minimum for the first few flites and stand back...It flys...The GWS stuff is lots of fun but some times you got to go a few steps further than the marketing department.