I am studying to get my journalism degree so Ican review airplanes for magazines. Ijust got this plane and Iwanted to write a review to see what you guys think. Here it is
Parkzone Ultra Micro J-3 Cub Review
If you were to ask most model aircraft pilots what they think are the most popular aircraft they might say the mustang, the ugly stick, the extra, and the J-3 cub. Before I got the J-3 from Parkzone I thought that Cubs where just as interesting as walking to North Dakota, to buy some bottled water. I thought that aerobatic planes and war birds where cooler. Then I started looking for a plane that would be easy to fly and would be relaxing. I then saw this airplane and I thought why not buy it. So I got the bind and fly model to save $40. I had heard that the prop shaft was too fragile. I decided to buy it anyway. I later learned the hard way that they were right. I learned that if you tighten the prop onto it enough that the shaft will not break as easily.
Flying it:
This is a 3 channel plane so it can’t do any rolls but after I replaced the prop shaft I was able to hover it for a few seconds. I also learned that this thing loves to float on landings. I mean you almost have to use down elevator in order not to over shoot the runway. The turning circle is small enough that you could fly it in a gym if you wanted. Wind is a problem though. I was able to fly it in winds in-between 6-11 mph. It was difficult but flyable but I live in the second windiest city in the USA so I can only fly it in the mornings once a week.
Should you buy it:
Well if you are a huge cub fanatic or if you are looking for a plane to fly close to home go ahead. But if you hate cubs or if you want a gasser the short answer is no don’t buy it.
Conclusion:
The Parkzone J-3 is a good plane. It might be a good beginner’s plane but the Hobby Zone Champ is also a good airplane. In my opinion I think that the Cub looks nicer. The only reason I would recommend the champ (I have not flown one) is because they discontinued the Cub. I just wasted about 5-10 minutes of your life reading this review. However this plane made me realize that cubs are great planes. Watch the prop shaft on this one though.