Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 AM
rogwabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Moth

I just got it last night and read about all the mods to it previously.. I ended up putting it all together in about 4 hours using 5 minute epoxy. I have a problem though. I am new to electrics, not R/C...

The reciever is a the gws pico that comes in the flight pack. I can't seem to make it work????

I tested my esc, servos, and motor on my old reciever, and they all seem to function. However, my brand new reciever isn't working.

I have a Hitec Eclipse 7 and I can use EITHER Jr or Futaba recievers because it's a setting for a phase shift.

The gws reciever is Futaba, and my other known good reciever is Futaba as well so no phase shift should be required.

I plug it all in, and when I move the sticks the only thing that seems to be happening is the one servo makes a funny sputtering noise. It doesn't move. It will make no noise, then I move the stick and it makes a sputtering noise. I even tried switching the phase on the tx to see if it may have been a factory mis marked jr reciever, but it does the same thing, just a little diffrent noise.

It's on the same channel per the crystal I bought with it..

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?
Is it a bad crystal or reciever?
Am I plugging something in wrong? I plugged it all in the same on my other reciever, and it worked fine.

Do I have to cut the antenna like it says to 1/2 length?
I wanted to fly today, but my old reciever is just too big to fit in there with the battery.

Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?
Should I bring it back to LHS?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Earthdrill

Default Tiger Moth

Are you using a Futaba crystal with a Futaba RX? They won't interchange with Hitec crystals. I learned that by experience, and the symptoms are the same. Cheers.

Bud
Old 09-05-2003, 12:37 PM
rogwabbit

Default Tiger Moth

Umm I'm not sure. I told the guy at the LHS that I want futaba. Whatever xtal he gave me I guess.. I would think he would know which one I need. but I could be wrong. I just told him Fitaba, channel 59
Old 09-05-2003, 12:46 PM
rogwabbit

Default Tiger Moth

Could he have given me a dual conversion xtal and the rx is only single conversion.. are there any pico recievers that have pico xtans that are dual conversion?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Default Tiger Moth

You may want to try a new crystal. Your problem sounds a lot like what was happening on my Berg when the crystal went bad. If that doesn't work, I'd take it back or send it to the manufacturer.

Jason
Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 PM
rogwabbit

Default Tiger Moth

I will go to the LHS tonight and see what we can figure out.
Has anyone modified the Moth to have ailerons with the Dual IPS?
Old 09-05-2003, 03:59 PM
rogwabbit

Default Tiger Moth

Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks. I actually got it resolved during lunch hour today so I can fly after I get off work.

It turned out to be the crystal. Replaced it with another one and the issue went away.. Same type of crystal, just a new one.

LHS will send it back for me.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:38 AM
barelias

Default stronger wings

i just bought the tiger moth and i read some where that the wings r not so strong together unless u add to them some thread,or some kind of attachment!! any one can help by telling me how is it done,thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 08:36 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stronger wings

Ah yes, Tiger Moth wings. Assemble the kit as designed. Use 5 minute epoxy sparingly, not that "glue" that comes in the kit.

When complete, use common dental floss (wintergreen, if you want that fresh smell) ) and thread it through tiny holes you have to drill in the lower wing, wing struts and cabanes. 2 holes in each.

For example, start at the left upper cabane, front hole. Tie a knot in the end of the floss so it won't pull through easily. Leave a "tail" on the floss for tying later.

Thread througb lower left wing strut, front hole, then out the rear hole in the left wing strut and back to the rear hole in the left cabane.

Tie the floss in a knot after snugging it a bit. Don't tighten them too much, you'll have wrinkled wings!

To complete the job, you'll have 4 complete loops. 2 landing wires and 2 flying wires per panel. Maybe a drop of thin ca on the knots and your done.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:05 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one of the first Tiggies in the country. Now happily flying for several years WITHOUT a single mod to the basic airframe. If you build it by the instructions, the wings as designed are just fine.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:39 AM
sargentw

I used 8lb test firewire fish line. Rather than tie a knot I pulled the line snug and held with a piece of trim tape until a drop of epoxy dried in the hole.

My moth flies OK stock but flies better with the wings wired, an 8.4v pack, and the motor cooling fin. I now use a 7.4 v 1200 mah li-poly pack and it flies forever.

I also reinforced my elevator with an embedded toothpick and a couple drops of epoxy.

Have fun!

Tad
Old 11-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

You need to stiffen the struts and use wire to hold it together if you want to do loops and such. Otherwise the wings will eventually fold. If you fly it easy the stock setup should be OK.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 PM
jamin
My Feedback: (2)

My first moth I built stock then added wing wires. The second one a replaced all struts with some made of 1/16 ply. My third one I used G10 to reenforce the original struts. I like the 1/32 G10 the best. I cut it to the outline of the struts only.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:25 AM
barelias

u guys been lots of help
got one more question
the crystal on the reciever says ch52 and its on 73.285 gws
the transmitter i bought is a JR max 4 and has no crystal
i called 3 hobby stores but no one has a crystal for the transmitter
by the way the crystal in the plane is a tiny one so, the hobby store guys say its hard to find a match of a small crystal for the plane and a large one for the radio
can wait i wana fly[]
Old 11-21-2003, 08:50 AM
sargentw

A good outfit: http://www.aeromicro.com/SpPcioNiMHPack.htm

also.....

http://www.ehobbies.com/more-gws-flight-packs.html
Old 12-01-2003, 02:00 AM
barelias

Default tiger moth problem?

I'm new ,I need help. I got a tiger moth which I flew once, it was almost ok. then, second day i charged the 150mah battery pack and then after i turned the radio on and pluged the battery into the plane, as I pushed on throttle motor went on for only few seconds and then motor stopped. If i went full throttle, motor wouldnt move. Also, if i use only the elevator and rudder, they would work fine for few seconds and then start moving by them selves , they went crazy. what im thinking is, that is happening because earlier I used a battery pack that came with an (airhugs helicopter) for the tiger moth.what happened is i just plugged the helicopter battery pack for few seconds and then took them off. Both the tiger moth's batteries and the helicopter's batteries say 150 mah ,7.2 volts on them.but the helicopter battery pack charges for few minutes and produce lots of power that makes the helicopter fly for 45 seconds. could it be that i fried some thing in the tiger moth?? or may be all that has nothing to do with it??? just days earlier I bought the crystals for the jr max4 transmitter and a micro crystal for the moth, could it be they were defective? help me plz
Old 12-01-2003, 08:38 AM
sargentw

Default RE: tiger moth problem?

Bummer!

A couple of things. Throw the 150mah Nicd in the trash. Mine was horrible. I think I cooked mine when charging. Goto cheapbatterypacks.com and order an A8GP400FT pack $14.00 either 7 or 8 cell. This is a 400 mah nimh battery. You would have to modify your Moth's battery bay, but it's easy to do. I have this battery and it works fine. I also have a 7.4 v, 1200 mah li-poly Etec battery from Bishop Power products. It's about the same size, but weighs less so it fits fine in the moth. The 1200 lasts so long you would have to hire a kid to fly it for you while making a pit stop.

Also sounds like you have radio/rec problems. You may have to borrow and try a friends radio or bite the bullet buy a 3 ch Focus SS FM from Servocity.com. Up to this point I have been using Hitec focus FM and AM 3 ch Radios for all my planes. I finally ordered a Hitec Flash 5 radio with the glider flight pack from Servo city.