Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

3ch going to 4ch

Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 AM
DaBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3ch going to 4ch

I have only been flying for about 4 months. Taught myself how to fly. Currently I have a flyzone micro cub and a flyzone micro fokker dr1. Both of which are 3 channel. How much harder is it to fly a 4 channel and what would be a good 4 ch plane to start with? Would it be better to learn on a micro size or move on up to a 36 to 48 inch wing spanned? I do need to stay with a plane that I can hand launch and grass land. Been kinda looking at the corsair with the skidders for grass landings but not sure if that would be a good 4ch to start with...?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM
downunderdog

Default RE: 3ch going to 4ch

Getting a small plane or something bigger depends upon where you fly. A big plane will be more stable, but you should also have a bigger flying area. If you are limited (i.e. only have a small area to fly in), then I think a small plane is easier. If you have a lot of room, then a bigger plane should be easier to fly.

When going from 3 to 4 channel, I think the best way to do it is put the ailerons on the channel where you previously had the rudder (assuming your previous 3 channel plane was throttle, elevator, rudder). Aileron should be the primary means of turnign a 4 channel plane, with rudder just helping to coordinate and smooth out turns. I usually fly with mostly trottle, elevator, and aileron, and my radio mixes a bit of rudder in with the ailerons.

The hobbyking Bixler or Bixler 2 gets good reviews and is pretty cheap.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 AM
ncsky

Iwould agree with all said above about flying site size. Another good 4 channel to look at is the Parkzone t-28 (not micro). It is a cross between a trainer and sport type of plane.

You can take landing gear off and easily hand launch. It flies slow and stable if you want or fast and aerobatic. It is a great all around plane. You could also look at the Parkzone Wildcat whiich is a little smaller in size than t-28.

I was worried about going to 4 channel, but it isIMHO easier than just the 3 channels. I also woudl put the ailerons on the right stick where you had the rudder (use a mode 2 transmitter).

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM
mad web tv scientist

ORIGINAL: DaBasher

I have only been flying for about 4 months. Taught myself how to fly. Currently I have a flyzone micro cub and a flyzone micro fokker dr1. Both of which are 3 channel. How much harder is it to fly a 4 channel and what would be a good 4 ch plane to start with? Would it be better to learn on a micro size or move on up to a 36 to 48 inch wing spanned? I do need to stay with a plane that I can hand launch and grass land. Been kinda looking at the corsair with the skidders for grass landings but not sure if that would be a good 4ch to start with...?

Great information all the way around. My opinion is that you have the ability to fly almost anything larger given your experiences. Your approach has been almost identical to what I would have done had the quality little airplanes available today been available back when I really got started in R/C.

I have a question you can help me understand if you wouldn't mind. I own a little larger DR I than yours but am afraid to try to fly it again until I find out about the angle of incidence of the three wings. My guess is that the top wing should have a slightly lower angle of attack than the lower wings to enable the ailerons to be effective untill the critical point of a fully stalled condition, but I'm not about to take a chance until I get some accurate information. I measure the vertical distance between the wings front and back to check differences of wing incidence on my other WWI flying machines and seem to be seeing reasonable data, but those three wings have so far got me stumped.

I own two (2) "killer" size PZ F4Us (the first and the last) and love them both (see threads on this forum). My latest one normally flies with gear and those neat "tanks." At high altitude testing, ROG areas can be scarce so the ship will probably fly without main gear and tanks. It will be hand launched like the older "whistling death" was before I added some very nice working landing gear to it whenever no good ROG (roll on ground) areas are available.

Be looking forward to vicariously enjoying some of your future flying adventures.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight - www.goodfight.com
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
FIGHTERS, AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are going to have in the future of flight!
http://www.ecocarforum.com/ev-forums...t_a_recha.html

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS Click on "rating" on the first page of this forum to bring up a large group of Ace fighter planes.