Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Park Flyer Blue Foam Wings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 01:45 AM
WildRivers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Flyer Blue Foam Wings...

Has ANYBODY had ANY experience constructing wings out of blue foam for the Aerobird, or any of the other park flyer V-tail clones? I have heard of many people doing this, but I can find no definitive info on the exact method, etc. I would appreciate ANY info or advice. I have already tried coroplast, but the wing winds up slightly heavier than the original no matter how you do it, so coro isn't the way to go, at least not for the main wing. If you have any ideas of a better foam other than the blue, please let me know that too. I look forward to hearing from you.
Happy Flying,
JR
Old 09-11-2003, 08:29 AM
e-bird

Default RE: Park Flyer Blue Foam Wings...

Righ now I am flying out at the Red Barons elec only. It's too much money to have them cut some of them are as much as 100 per wing . But last summer I had 5 wing 10" coord X 58 span 2" thick heavy cambered cut for about $30 per core. And I started to build a core cutter but I got into the Slow Stick the wing from Horizons is only $14 and the small wing for the others are only $12 in the GWS line . I have a Crazy max wing I use 3 of them that I made a lite plywood body for so .
John bigelow [email protected] CU
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 AM
WildRivers

Hi John,
Nice to hear from you. I know what you mean about the cost of wing cutting, but I do remember reading about some people that were making these Aerobird type wings out of the blue foam that they got at Lowes, and they were getting 2 complete wings out of a single small sheet of the blue foam that (they say) only cost $4-$5, so that would make each wing about $2-$2.50 each. That is what I was trying to track back down. I had the info, but now with the site changeover, I can't seem to locate the info again! Oh well. Like most people, I just didn't want to spend another $14 to have extra wings on hand, if I didn't have to, plus I just wanted to make a slightly larger wing for better glide ratio. I appreciate your input. Have a wonderful day John.
Happy Flying,
JR
Old 09-12-2003, 05:52 PM
WildRivers

Hi again John!

Listen...it didn't even register on me....I feel like an idiot! Where abouts in Sac do you live? Besides driving all the way to the Red Barons field, a few of us from the club have also been getting together to fly electrics in Fair Oaks and over off Antelope, a couple miles down the road from the Home Depot on Antelope, if you know the general area I mean? We have a couple people flying Aerobirds, a GWS A-10, Someone else has a GWS Beaver, and I think there is a Slow Stick too. You are VERY welcome to join us one day if you (like the rest of us) don't always want to make the drive clear out to the club field all the time. I also have direct permission from the Director of the Parks & Recreation District to fly our electric's at the locations we fly. He is VERY enthusiastic about it! He has also heard about the Red Barons Mall show we did for the Club at Sunrise mall, and is hoping maybe we could put on a similar show or booth during one of the "family days" or "community days" events at one of the big parks. Interesting huh? Nice to see someone actually interested in supporting our hobby. Feel free to drop me a line sometime directly if you want, or if you know ahead of time what day you may have off, and want to fly. I'm at [email protected]. Talk to you soon.
Best Wishes,
Jim
Old 11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Fred DCRC

Cutting your own wings is very easy with practice
There are several commercially produced wing cutters
And about 100 home made cutters that are very easy
To make the one I have been using for 20 + years is
Made out of a broom handle 2 dowels and an old
Light Dimmer switch granted if you touch the wire
You will get a shock and burnt but I have cut all types
Of foam
Old 11-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Airborne 2007

Hey wildrivers, its not foam but it might work. Coroplast.

www.midrivers.com/~ben/
click on fighterbird.

Also if you have problems with the AB's plastic langing gear nuts stripping out just get some 2-56 Lock Nuts that are for servo arms.

-John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87442.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	78320