Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

TOWER HOBBIES FABULOUS KILLER SIZE PARK FLYER F6F HELLCAT!

Tower Hobbies F6F Hellcat Brushless Rx-R

www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa2004.html

The greatest WWII kill ratio fighter that fought in the greatest day of air combat in American history happened precisely two (2) years after my birthday (Marianas Turkey Shoot - June 19, 1944). Its real value, of course, was in its peformance in DEMOCRACY'S FINEST HOUR during WWII. It is the fighter I would have chosen to fly and fight with had I been old enough at the time. My model of this fabulous but under appreciated warbird is on its mission to my hanger even as I type; perfect as a comfortable hand launch fighter yet stable with gentle trainer like qualities, yet capable of any combat maneuver.

SECURE THE SKIES!

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight - www.goodfight.com
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are going to have in the future of flight!
    http://www.ecocarforum.com/ev-forums...t_a_recha.html

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS I'm still working on "The Simplified Bedini School Girl (SSG) project" free energy teaching aid (can be Googled). Probem is fighters have a higher priority. If we lose the "culture war" free energy, not to mention the joys and freedom of pure modeling pleasures could be irelevant.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: TOWER HOBBIES FABULOUS KILLER SIZE PARK FLYER F6F HELLCAT!

On my "wishlist"

a year ago I thought I'd never like warbirds , but after flying the flyzone FW190 , I got the Tower P-51 and the Flyzone corsair all ready to maiden.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got mine. I have all three now. F4U, Mustang and Hellcat. Will maiden the F6F this weekend.

THIS AIRPLANE REALLY IS FABULOUS!

Today's F6F maiden performance was as perfect as I could have ever expected. Using an old weak 1800mAh 15C battery on the first flight seemed to work just as well as a lighter 28C 1400mAh battery used on the second flight. Flight characteristics proved to be very stable and easily controllable. The first flight was flown on high rate with the plane easily performing all my favorite maneuvers except for the "F-15 like takeoff." If I would just let the speed build up enough on ROG takeoffs my "vertical climbs" would look a lot more convincing. The square loop with rolls on the straight sides looked better than what I usually accomplish, and the outside loop had absolutely no tendency to roll out before completing the maneuver as can happen on less stable fighters. Airplanes from the local airport seemed to enjoy turning right after takeoff and flying over my air space. Twice when I heard them coming I dove for lower altitude and turned to get on their six. It was kind of neat to get in a low altitude six o'clock position for a possible good looking gun solution.

Must break off the attack for now.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post 07 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight - www.goodfight.com
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are going to have in the future of flight!

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some great information about thorium plasma batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mad Web, I didn't get to maiden mine, but if you have the TH Corsair too (I do), how does the F6F fly in comparison?

Hey Chuck, great to see you still in the fight! Our dandy little F6F almost defies description! If you didn't know better you would surely think I was being paid to promote this plane. Actually, the joy I experience in sharing the facts about the plane is more than enough payment.

In totally stock condition she flies as well or better than my modified "Milepost in Modeling original ParkZone F4U Corsair." In thermals she can maintain altitude even with zero power and full up elevator very much like the original lighter wing loading PZ Corsair does. Like her full scale highest kill ratio full scale counterpart, she is very stable and gentle in control responses. Stalls are straight ahead (once you get out of a thermal), and yet can perform any maneuver you can think of. I have already set it up for trainer missions. My PZ Wildcat will now serve as a backup trainer/warbird demonstrator. My War Weary GUNFIGHTER and original PZ Corsair will perform "garage duty" in an attacking position on a killer 109 located at 12 o'clock high on any hapless car that attempts to enter my garage/hanger. I need more room in the house for planes that need to be flown more urgently.

By the way, do your other Tower Hobbies fighters use the same motor as the F6F? There is a very obvious improvement in F6F motor efficiency over all of my other fighters. It reminds me of the "Simplified Bedini School Girl" free energy motor teaching aid" (can be Googled) I am working on. I really do hope no more irresistible fighters come along again to disrupt my fame and glory fight in the now red hot energy revolution!

Check your six! Its always the one you don't see that gets you!

Breaking off the attack now.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852 (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight - www.goodfight.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The motor for the Corsair is the same as the F6F. The motor for my P-51 is a different color, but appears to be the same size. Thanks for the info. I will maiden her this weekend.

Okay Chuck, we are on a roll! I tried to award you five golden stars for your continuing enthusiastic modeling attitude but am being blocked off by something. I really would like to see five stars clicked in on the "rating" (bottom right side of post) of at least the first post on this thread so others could be alerted to Tower Hobbies great new fighters.

Assuming your Corsair is close to the same weight as your F6F and uses the same three bladed prop and battery, I would assume that the F4U and F6F would have almost identical vertical performance. The F6F by virtue of its more centrally located wing and greater stabiity factors might be easier to hold on a straight course when flying a straight up course under "war combat emergency" power. It was very practical on my maiden with the F6F to fly a square loop with rolls on the straight sides. Three (3) take off and landings resulted in zero (0) nose overs which is a first for me. The grass field was very bumpy. I did bend the gear slightly foward before flight which no doubt helped.

Rolling in to attack!

Out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The TH Corsair actually does not come with the 3 bladed prop and instead uses a 2 blade the same as used on their P-51. However, I use a Parkzone T-28 Trojan hub and spinner on my TH Corsair along with Parkzone's 3 bladed prop that is used for their T-28 and Corsair. Works great. I am currently using Hobby People 2200 3s 20c lipos in my Corsair and plan to use the same batteries for the F6F. Using this battery, the CG is perfect on both planes.

CLOSE CALL!

Our dandy little fighter demonstrated its superior structural integrity last week end after my ill advised mission to fly in spite of obvious dangerous radio receiver symptoms - glitching, twitching intermittent behavior before rebinding and finally getting good radio operation. Except for a little of such behavior that finally settled down last week before three successful flights with almost perfect ROG takeoff & landings, I was lulled into thinking that once I got the radio link operating normally for this latest fighter sweep mission that everything was good to go - big mistake!

After an easily accomplished successful test hand launch to prove how practical it is with the F6F in the event ROG conditions are not available, my usual vertical flight, outside loop, etc. test maneuvers were being performed when suddenly the plane became almost uncontrollable. Anyway, somehow enough controllability was still available to get the wild machine low and slow enough to minimize impact forces of the crash. The bottom of the cowl, starboard side (remember we are in the Navy now) wing tip and gear, carbon fiber reinforced 10X8 GWS "automatic variable pitch prop" (see prop details on PZ P-51 & F4F threads) impacted the ground so hard that the battery cover popped off.

I attribute the lack of damage anywhere on the plane to its sound structure and the addition of a little easily applied reinforcement. To minimize wrinkles etc., I used a few layers of 1/2 inch wide clear packing tape on the bottom of the cowl. The 1/2 ounce of lead ballast is also glued solidly inside the bottom of the cowl. A Monokote iron on low enough heat to not burn the foam works great to iron out any bubbles, etc.. Approximately 1/3 - 1/2 thickness of 12,000 strand carbon fiber tow material (available mail order from the web - I'm still trying to get hobby shops to carry it) is used on the wing leading edges out and around the tips & from inside of the motor mounts back along to just inside of the fuselage of the somewhat hollowed out turtle deck area. I love this airplane and am looking forward to flying it a lot during my fighter plane model career.

'Bout time for me to break off and head back to the carrier.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of
    Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling -
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 PLEASE SEE POST 852
    (Page # 35) on Spit thread for FANTASTIC INFO. See why we fight -
    www.goodfight.com
    FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY -
    http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
    The following URL brings up the most concise, non-technical (with
    technical references) discussion about the revolutionary THORIUM PLASMA
    BATTERY technology I have found on the web. ENJOY! Oh what fun we are
    going to have in the future of flight!

''mad thorium batteries'' typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up some
    great information about thorium plasma batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, my maiden went fine, the second flight, not so good. On the second flight, she was flying fine and all of a sudden, absolutely no control. She spiraled into the ground and completely destroyed the motor mount and cowl and took a chunk off the battery hatch. I called Tower as it seems that the ESC is the problem. When I retrieved it, I also noticed that the right aileron was detached from the wing. I am not sure whether it was the ESC or the aileron detaching that caused the crash.

Anyways, an expert modler friend has repaird it and actually rebuilt the motor mount and straightened out any wrinkles in the foam.

Tower wants me to send the whole plane in to be examined, but now that she is fixed I will try her again. One thing I did notice was that when I armed the motor by moving the throttle stick up waiting for the one beep and then down and waiting for the two beeps, it didn't immediately power on the motor when I moved the throttle to test. I had to move the stick up and down slightly a number of times until the motor responded. That is what makes me think it is an ESC problem.

In any case, fixed or not, I am going to order a new plane and replace the stock ESC with an E-Flight ESC on arrival so that that is taken out of the equation.

[quote]OWell, my maiden went fine, the second flight, not so good. On the second flight, she was flying fine and all of a sudden, absolutely no control. She spiraled into the ground and completely destroyed the motor mount and cowl and took a chunk off the battery hatch. I called Tower as it seems that the ESC is the problem. When I retrieved it, I also noticed that the right aileron was detached from the wing. I am not sure whether it was the ESC or the aileron detaching that caused the crash.

Anyways, an expert modler friend has repaird it and actually rebuilt the motor mount and straightened out any wrinkles in the foam.

Tower wants me to send the whole plane in to be examined, but now that she is fixed I will try her again. One thing I did notice was that when I armed the motor by moving the throttle stick up waiting for the one beep and then down and waiting for the two beeps, it didn't immediately power on the motor when I moved the throttle to test. I had to move the stick up and down slightly a number of times until the motor responded. That is what makes me think it is an ESC problem.

In any case, fixed or not, I am going to order a new plane and replace the stock ESC with an E-Flight ESC on arrival so that that is taken out of the equation.
    [/quoteRIGINAL: Chucksolo69]

Sorry to learn about the crash, but inspired to see you meeting the challenge to learn what went wrong. In my case the receiver had it's plugs all connected backwards once before it was checked by an experienced modeler; and again when the dummy connected the plugs backwards again. He finally realized his mistake and got it right. Must have cooked something in the receiver. Anyway, I was really fortunate as reported above.

Just ordered some spare parts from Tower Hobbies just in case. Among the F6F parts is a spare cowl since this is the most likely part to be damaged given my flying style. My plan is to make it as "close to bullet proof" as possible by using a lot of carbon fiber and a structurally superior use of clear packing tape. The intention here is to make the new cowl as heavy as my current one by using extra reinforcement instead of lead for ballast. The current cowl does show a few tiny "sort of" wrinkles that can hardly be noticed, so unless/until something really bad happens the new cowl will simply be a comforting spare/conversation piece to have around. I do intend to do a lot of practice flying with the F6F until anxiety levels with my heavier, faster machines can be brought down to more "tolerable" levels.

I've been doing a lot of study lately on the web about comparisons between the dandy F6F "Cat" and the vaunted F4U Corsair. Most of the better web information is fairly harmonious with the expert engineers information reported by CORKY MEYER'S article in FIGHTERS, Summer, 2001 magazine. The conclusion was that the "Performance almost equal" between the two fighters. Two things not mentioned about why the lowly F6F, in spite of its highest kill ratio over all other WWII and excellent safety record, has tended to enjoy far less glory than it deserves may have something to do with its low cost compared to other fighters. $35,000 was cheap for what taxpayers were getting with the F6F. Web information on the F4U's cost seems to indicate that it went for something like 1/3 to twice as much as the F6F. We all know (well, us older culture studying geezers , anyway) very well how MONEY can incite all kinds excitement and/or demonization about things. There is also some question about the name it was "blessed" with. Lt. Zenji Abe, the bomber leader off the carrier "Junyo," who survived swarming F6Fs during the Marianas Turkey Shoot said: "I never see so many Grumman's!" Notice Mr. Abe did not use the not so "Divinely approved" given name "Hellcat."

Better get back to the carrier now and show those Corsairs how it is is supposed to be done.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

ALMOST A PERFECT FLIGHT SATURDAY

The little F6F performed flawlessly with the dandy "automatic variable pitch prop" that works so well on the PZ P-51 and F4F fighters. The center section reinforced 10X8 GW/EP1080/6P/D GWS "slow flyer" type prop tends to "flatten out" some down here at sea level and at two (2) miles high at select areas near the Continental Divide there is an apparent pitch increase that allows these airplanes to enjoy essentially the same performance at any practical R/C altitude. Some of my other planes seem to work best by having a lower pitch "climb prop" for low altitude flying, and a higher pitch "cruise prop" for higher altitude flying. Some planes are so over powered that no prop variation is needed for optimum performance at any altitude. Except for the HH Hawker Hurricane that has just recently been fine tuned for good low altitude performance, I refer to my ready to scramble fighter wing as my "just fly at any altitude" fighters. I still like the stock F6F three bladed prop for training and have some on order from Tower Hobbies.

Whereas, the stock prop provides great slow speed aerobatics performance and very nice "straight ahead" slow speed stalling characteristics, The F6F with the above mentioned 10X8 prop is trimmed using rudder, aileron and lateral CG adjustments to stall softly to the right in dead stick mode and slightly to the left under low throttle stallings.

The event that spoiled an otherwise perfect flight happened about the time my alarm went off. The motor suddenly died and I was too low to turn back upwind, the landing was too far away and ugly. Turns out a motor/ESC connection was loose. I "adjusted" the male portion of the plug to have a tighter fit inside the female connection and everything is now good to go.

It's about time for me to start getting really seriously involved in some intense fighter plane action - weather permitting.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Chuck, how are things going with your F6F? I think maybe I figured out a possible reason why yesterday's stall tests didn't turn out like I thought they should have. I'm sure you have been delighted with all the extra room in the battery compartment. Its so large that a 9.5 ounce 3200mAh battery used in tests worked beautifully with room to spare. So, my theory that will be tested next time out will be to make sure the little batteries that I am using are biased to the port side (little Navy lingo here since we are Navy fighter pilots when we fly our little jewels) of the battery compartment.

Breaking off to return to the carrier now.

Out.

www.goodfight.com
    __________________________________________________ _________
    __________________________________________________ __________

great information about thorium plasma batteries

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually I had 3 great flights on her yesterday using Hobby People 20c 2200 mah batteries. These make the CG spoton with no need for extra weight. She flies great on them. I did have one noseover on landing, but I believe I just didn't have enough airspeed when I landed her. All in all I am having a blast with this plane. I also maidened my new Parkzone Albatross D Va on Saturday. What a great flying plane. The best part is I got the PNP version for $135.00 OTD!! You gotta luv these Parkzone price reductions. I may get the SE5a next. According to Horizon Hobby, these planes are NOT being discontinued, but are just having their price dropped. I have yet to maiden my new E-Flight Hawker Hurrican yet though. It is simply too big to fit in my car assembled!!

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69
    Actually I had 3 great flights on her yesterday using Hobby People 20c 2200 mah batteries. These make the CG spot on with no need for extra weight. She flies great on them. I did have one noseover on landing, but I believe I just didn't have enough airspeed when I landed her. All in all I am having a blast with this plane. I also maidened my new Parkzone Albatross D Va on Saturday. What a great flying plane. The best part is I got the PNP version for $135.00 OTD!! You gotta luv these Parkzone price reductions. I may get the SE5a next. According to Horizon Hobby, these planes are NOT being discontinued, but are just having their price dropped. I have yet to maiden my new E-Flight Hawker Hurrican yet though. It is simply too big to fit in my car assembled!!
    Chuck, your continued enthusiasm in spite of inevitable flack and not so friendly "fighters" has earned you yet another five (5) star "Ace" Rating from the top brass., Congratulations! If you can just keep on keeping on, this thread will surely rate up close to the high standard your activities are helping to create.

Although I plan to do a lot of flying with the F6F once I check out some modified systems on other planes first, it will be some time before I my Cat flys again. Good to see you enjoying yours.

In the spirit of fighter plane enthusiasts everywhere, I am rolling in to attack now.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Mad Web. I am so glad that I found all the TH warbirds. Wouldn't a Tower Hobbies Spitfire be a great additon to this line of models?

Yes, I would find a Tower Hobbies "F6F size and attention to scale features" Mk II heroic Battle of Britain SPITFIRE to be irresistible. My problem is I would also like to own and enjoy flying a heroic Flying Tiger P-40 and a terrifying fearsome Japanese Zero first. You see, I already own two (2) SPITFIRES and a HH Hurricane that are faithfully flown in celebration of the FINEST HOUR in the defense of Western Civilization Values Battle of Britain.

I continue to be impressed with how you are not allowing "our fifth column" of anti-science, etc., gurus to discourage you. If we can just find more modelers like yourself, interest in modeling could really explode! There are "forces" that are "slowing down" interest in the "Burma Spitfires" and by implication the Western Civilization Values as personified by Sir Winston Churchill who is inseparable from the SPITFIRE, for example. These very values are under wholesale attack by Fascists who are committed to the destruction of America and everything we hold dear. My real mission is to use fighter planes as "attention getting teaching aids" in the promotion of the God given values that made America the greatest country the world has ever known; but these priceless values are now under attack like never before and must be stopped at all costs. So, come what may, as long as there is any strength at all left in my trigger fingers fighters will continue to be used as my weapons of choice against our Fascist totalitarian politically correct secularism enemy as well as its "fifth column."

Modeling now has an abundance of fighter planes, what we are in critical need of is more committed FIGHTER PILOTS!

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"My problem is I would also like to own and enjoy flying a heroic Flying Tiger P-40 and a terrifying Japanese Zero first."

Yes, you are absolutely right on this. Either of those would be fantastic in the TH lineup. Like you I also own to Spitfires and a Hawker Hurricane so thos would definately join my squadron!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speaking of Tower's F6F, that is a really nice rendition of it. The plane certainly has a place in my heart.

My first CL kit plane was a Scientific F6F Hellcat 18" wingspan built up with .020 Pee Wee. I've also built a 16" wingspan Guillow rubber powered model. Currently have unbuilt kits of the 20" span CL Sterling Beginner Hellcat and 42" span CL Sterling Profile Hellcat.

Wanting to do an RC conversion of the 42" with Enya .19-VI TV engine. This would place it as a similar sized warbird to the Tower ARF, except it would be slightly heavier. The wing fixed flaps would be converted to ailerons.

I found the history of the F6F fascinating. Its predecessor, the tubby little Grumman F4F Wildcat was slower and less maneuverable than the Japanese Zero it faced. However, it was very sturdy, had self sealing tanks and could out dive the Japanese Zero, then fire a burst on the upswing. By employing these tactics, Kill ratios increased from 1:1 to 1:10, a loss of a Wildcat to every ten of the other. The Hellcat was developed out of lessons learned as a replacement for the Wildcat.
    George Hostler
    Clovis MADS AMA Club, Vintage R/C Society (VRCS)
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Belated welcome aboard GallopingGhostler! I got real busy with the war in the Pacific. I simply could not put down "Zero" once I started reading it. I read a post on the web that said the book Zero claimed that the Zero fighter had developed a 12-1 kill ratio that I tried but failed to confirm.

Would I be presumptuous to assume that you have some "Galloping Ghost" expeience in your background? We are telling our age arn't we.

Okay, since I spent some time at "Cannon AFB," did some Control-line aerobatics and combat plane flying in the area, you must tell me what Clovis MADS is all about.

Loaded up three (3) fighters today along with the F6F cat but the weather turned questionable so I ended up not flying. One thing I'm doing to all of my Navy planes to defeat the effective camo on those days where the ship sort of disappears in the haze is to add small Chrome Monokote areas mostly where tip and landing lights would be. It really helps locate the plane from flashes of reflected light on those tricky days where the plane tends to be "GHOSTLY."

Out

www.goodfight.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist Belated welcome aboard GallopingGhostier! I got real busy with the war in the Pacific. I simply could not put down ''Zero'' once I started reading it. I read a post on the web that said the book Zero claimed that the Zero fighter had developed a 12-1 kill ratio that I tried but failed to confirm.
    I am sure that is true at the start of the war. At the time, the other aircraft didn't have much success against the Zero because it was aerodynamically and mechanically superior. Basically the western world was still fiddling with 1930's era aircraft. The Brewster Buffalo's were easy pickings and the British Commonwealth nations lost quite a few. With the additional weight of armor and accessories they were too slow, harder to maneuver and did not have the service ceiling of the Zero because of a weak turbocharger.

The Grumman Wildcat helped to turn the tide when the Americans discovered tactics to make use of its strengths. It was slower than the Zero and not as maneuverable. Because it was strong, it could take considerable gun fire and still hold together and return home with self sealing tanks. The pilots could out dive the Zero, then swoop up and put a burst into the Zero. Zero didn't have self sealing tanks and it didn't take much when the Allies found its weaknesses. The Wildcat helped the war effort until more modern aircraft such as the Hellcat arrived on the scene.

Would I be presumptuous to assume that you have some ''Galloping Ghost'' experience in your background? We are telling our age arn't we.
    True GG experience that I'm not, but close. My first airplanes were rudder only using Ace and Mattel proportional pulse units and magnetic actuators. I had a total ball with them that I stayed rudder only for a while. Then in 1978 I bought a 72 MHz wide band frequency Ace Pulse Commander with quick blip throttle and KRD sequential Hi-Med-Lo throttle servo. Now I had rudder and throttle. Only thing I lacked was elevator, which the throttle using a more powerful engine essentially gave me, along with wilder aerobatics on RO.

GHostler is a concatenation of my first initial and last name. Then I added the Galloping, which seemed to fit. But you are right, we are showing our age. Galloping Ghost was fairly popular in the 1960's into the early 1970's. I was looking at an Ace GG unit with Rand motorized 3 function actuator selling at Pete's Model Hobbycraft in the late 1970's. However, the price they wanted for it was too much. Rather than go for it, for the same price I bought a Charlie's RC (Bill Cannon's wife) Cannon 4 channel 810 mini RC system kit and assembled it. That's when I discovered digital proportional.

Okay, since I spent some time at ''Cannon AFB,'' did some Control-line aerobatics and combat plane flying in the area, you must tell me what Clovis MADS is all about.
    MADS is "Model Airplane Driver Society". We fly near the city's motocross and auto racing dirt tract in a portion of their Ned Houk Park outside the park area and accessed from a county road. Nearest house is a farmer's about a quarter mile away. We are encroached by dairy fields, so noise is not a problem. The park is about 8 miles north of town. It's got paved runways and an old railcar for storage, city has done a great job to provide for the modeling community. We are AMA registered. Members are all various walks of life, ages and backgrounds.

Loaded up three (3) fighters today along with the F6F cat but the weather turned questionable so I ended up not flying. One thing I'm doing to all of my Navy planes to defeat the effective camo on those days where the ship sort of disappears in the haze is to add small Chrome Monokote areas mostly where tip and landing lights would be. It really helps locate the plane from flashes of reflected light on those tricky days where the plane tends to be ''GHOSTLY.' Out '
    We don't have fog that often. Some of the members have lighting systems on their planes for night flying, although I haven't ventured out to watch them. I've been thinking about doing a CL to RC conversion of a Sterling Profile 42" Hellcat, to keep up with the newer electric warplanes of similar size that grace the field. I've been batting that around, might do a foamboard version using the plans as a template, but nitro power it.
    George Hostler
    And we know love by this, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, had three more flights on the TH F6F yesterday. What a sweet flying plane. I gave my buddy one for his birthday last week and he maidened it on Saturday. He has 50 years in the hobby and it was amazing what he did with that plane. I had no idea the type of areobatics this little plane can do. It was a sight to see how he threw this little plane around the air. Put my flying to shame to say the least. I had a really awesome weekend, but the following happened to me yesterday:

I had the strangest thing happen yesterday. I was flying my PZ Airforce Trojan when all of a sudden my plane lost total control. I was flying our pattern at about 100 feet when I noticed the plane descending. I had no throttle or directional control, nothing. I yelled to my buddies that I had no control as I watched my plane descend and come to a perfect 3 point landing with no input from me! After she landed, I went over and noticed that her canopy/battery hatch had come off, but other than that, absolutely NO damage to the plane whatsoever! Is that luck or what?? I may have been flying too close to the powerlines and got into the EMF or something. One of the power poles looked like it had a couple of antennas sticking out of it powered by a solar panel. That was probably the issue. I put a new battery in her and she flew fine.................strange. I didn't fly too close to those lines again.

In any case, my squadron is still intact. Can't wait to fly the F6F again!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of those power lines, especially if transmission lines can carry anywhere from 69,000 to 450,000 Volts, which IMO is a considerably strong electro-magnetic field. Each of those 3 lines is 1 of 3 phases on AC. Also, IMHO, a 2.4 GHz receiver has such a small antenna that depended on orientation, it is possible for it to have not received your transmitter signal compounded by the strong EMI.

You were fortunate you got it back and back safely. I'd check the antenna installation to be sure. I wouldn't want to hear, "Admiral Yamamoto, I have great pleasure to report another Allied airplane has been downed, Orokusaki-san out."
    George Hostler

GREAT POSTS GUYS!

Please forgive me for being speechless. I shall return. It will interesting to reread and think about the implications of power lines and planes. Thanks for dealing with such facinating phenomena. Good to hear there was no damage. Some time ago I landed without a hatch on one of my PZ Messerschmitts - ended up buying an operational and standby hatch. Never did find the original hatch even after spending over an hour looking for it. I now use additional restraints on my low power magnet held hatches. By the way how does the F6F fly compaired to the T-28?

Okay, back to the Cats and the Zero - turns out that after Guadalcanal Japanese pilots suffered significaly worse food and living conditions than allied airmen. The book "Zero" brings out just how bad things were. Yes, we had to tollerate "Washing Machine Charlie," but the Japanese were suffering a lot more compliments of our around the clock bombing and strafing. Such punishment hurt a lot, in addition to the serious loss of experienced pilots. Then came the killer F6F Cat that the designer of the Zero co-author of the Zero book said was the first fighter that could succesfully dogfight the Zero. Losing is not nearly as glorious as winning.

I flew three other planes before finally wrapping up the show this weekend with a couple of fun flights with the F6F. As I was about to stow the ship aboard my Carrier, a hand full of spectators stopped by and insisted on seeing a flight. I had earler demonstrated driving the machine around on the parking lot and sharing basic R/C information, but when I explained that my battery was discharged to storage level, they would have none of it. So, I set her down on the soccer field and proceeded to get some oohs and aahs as she majestically rose into the air and circled around a time or two before landing again. The battery was still at a comfortable storage charge level and the spectators seemed to be satisfied, so I was finally able enjoy the end of an eventful day.

About the only thing I enjoy more than thinking and writing about airplanes is flying them, so better make some preparations for the next inevitable scramble.

Out.

www.goodfight.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast