Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Wanting to get a 'park flyer', have a question on radios

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Wanting to get a 'park flyer', have a question on radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:15 PM
87GLHS208

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get a 'park flyer', have a question on radios

Ok, Ive been wanting to get a small 'park flyer' type of plane to fly at my house. Ive got PLENTY of room, just dont feel confortable flying my larger glow powered planes around there.

I see that some of these planes come with a flight pack, with a reciever, servos, batteries, etc, but no radio. Not a problem, I have a couple of 'extra' complete 4 channel radios around. What Im wondering is:

1) Do I need a flight pack being as I already have servos/reciever/etc? Granted these servos and reciever are 'standard' size, so that may present an issue.

2) If I do end up getting a flight pack, what do I do to make the flight pack reciever match my radios channel? Take the crystal out of my other reciever and put it in the new "mini flight pack" reciever?????

thanks for any help you guys can provide!!

clay
Old 09-19-2003, 01:35 PM
dalelvn

Default RE: Wanting to get a 'park flyer', have a question on radios

if you purchase a new flight pack just get the crystal for the channel your transmitter is on
Old 09-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Most of the time when you buy a reciever, they will have you specify what shift (positive/negative) or what kind of radio you're using (JR, Airtronics, Futaba, etc), and what channel you want.

As for your standard gear, the only parkflyer I know of that doesn't mind the extra weight too much is the Slow Stick.

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Dr Kiwi

You could get a micro sized flightpack suited to foamies like the Tiger Moth - for example, if you chose one of the most popular GWS ones, it would give you an R-4P receiver (5g), 2x Pico servos (5.6g each), a 2/5amp ESC and a fairly useless small 270/350NiCd battery pack. If you intend to get into flying somewhat larger aircraft, such as the Slow Stick (great choice!) you may be better off to select exactly what you want, from any of a number of suppliers. [balsapr/aeromicro/todds models/FMA......].

The R-4P receiver [correct shift, and with crystal to suit your radio] (get it with horizontal pins or it won't fit under the Slow Stick's wing!), and 2x Pico servos will set you back about $60. I'd go for a Pixie 7P or Pixie 20P ESC ($35-40). (Perfect for NiCd and NiMH anyway but if you ever think you might get into Lipoly batteries in the future they also they have programmable LVC to save your LiPolys). Then you can select appropriate battery packs for whatever aircraft you decide on. As you mention, kits like the Slow Stick come with the motor and prop supplied - so with this shopping list taken care of, you are good to go!

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-22-2003, 10:04 AM
rdeis
My Feedback: (1)

Depends on your receiver- some crystals are compatible between mfrs, some aren't.

I found this out by plugging my old JR cristal in my new FMA rx. Didn't work. Swapped it back and got a crystal from FMA for $11, it works now.

Also the Rx must be compatible with the Tx pos-neg shift, like he said.