Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Park Zone UM P-51 w/ AS3X aileron adjustment

I received a Park Zone ultra micro P-51 with the AS3X system yesterday. It completes my AS3X warbird series for now as I also have the Spitfire Mk IX and P-40 Warhawk. Hopefully, they will make more micro warbirds with the AS3X system. The P-51 has a problem not seen in the Spit or the P-40. Aileron throw for a left bank is adequate. Not great, just adequate. The plane will wallow around in a barrel roll when given full left aileron. Aileron throw for a right bank is insufficient to say the least. Watched on the ground the aileron deflection for a right bank looks to be about half what it is for a left bank. In the air the plane will barely bank right at all. A snap roll with the Spitfire is very fast and linear to the thrust line. You had better have plenty of altitude before you even attempt a roll to the right with the Mustang because it is going to take a while and lose altitude the entire time.

Here's what I know. The aileron throw is insufficient and uneven, especially to the right. The plane uses a single linear servo with a bell crank and torsion rods for the ailerons. What do I need to know before I cut the fuselage in half? Are there adjustments to be made or should I just send the plane back? I find it curious that the Spitfire is such a great performer while the Mustang has serious problems. The P-40 doesn't fly as well as the Spitfire but I didn't expect it to. The full scale P-40 didn't either. But the P-40 being head and shoulders above the Mustang just isn't right. Any help appreciated.

Storm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Okay, I went ahead and opened the plane up. The bell crank sits on a plastic pedestal that is glued to the foam in the fuselage. The pedestal would rock forward and back as the servo pushed and pulled on the bell crank. A VERY carefully applied drop of low-temp hot glue fore and aft of the pedestal stopped the rocking and increased the aileron throw. We are forecast to have high winds tomorrow but Sunday looks good for trying her out.

John