Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Putting flaps on the Parkzone 1s planes for flying in smaller gyms (Mustang/others)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Putting flaps on the Parkzone 1s planes for flying in smaller gyms (Mustang/others)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 PM
byrocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting flaps on the Parkzone 1s planes for flying in smaller gyms (Mustang/others)

We've got a couple people who are flying the Parkzone airplanes (Mustang, Trojan, Warhawk, etc.) in one of our indoor venues -- essentially a single-court basketball setup
The latest flyer is using a Mustang, throttled back but its more like pylon racing than flying.

My Warhawk tqakes up about 2/3rds of the length of the gym before the tail lifts and it's ready to fly so it would be literally be bang the throttle, yank back, yank left, straighten, yank left, straighten, avoid the rafters.... faster than you can read them. Seriously not fun.

Trojans aren't as fast but certainly leave the Playmates and TxR WW1 warbirds in the dust.

One of our former pilots had added flaps to his Mustang using stiff plastic sheets that have been bent. Haven't seen the plane this year so I can't pick his brains.

Anyone know where there are threads on this that I can rummage for?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:42 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you trying to put workable flaps on or just looking to add something to create flaps that are partially down?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
byrocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latter, aeajr. I need to slow the plane down with little or no loss in lift so I can buzz around a standard-sized gymnasium without having to do yo-yo turns and back-throttling to keep from whacking the walls on every turn.

The original discussion that was had with the pilot said that he was using stiff transparent plastic similar to what you get with shirts in boxes or Christmas card packages. Actually have a Hallmark box set of cards and the plastic used for separators looks to be a bit flexible under stress.

Plus, I need to know how to heat/bend the plastic for about 15 degrees of flap, and then how to attach it to the model so I can get it off later at the dome fun-flys.