Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Zero/Cosair

Old 09-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Aja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Zero/Cosair

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how well and how difficult either the GWS Zero or Corsair is to fly. I have learned on a Hobbico Superstar .40 and want a parkflyer to fly around the house (we have 14 acres). I am in the process of building a TF P-39. Should I go with one of these planes or something else?
Old 09-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GWS Zero/Cosair

If you were coming from a basic park flier like the Slow Stick, I'd recommend you go with an "aileron trainer" like the GWS E-Starter first. However, you've got what amounts to a noisy, slimy, overgrown E-Starter already (all said tongue-in-cheek because I fly glow planes too).

Anyway, you should have no trouble with any of the GWS warbirds, if you're relatively proficient with the Superstar. That is to say, you can take off, fly, and land with confidence (no knee-knocking).

GWS prototypes are test flown by a very experienced pattern pilot, and the CG measurements in the instructions will result in a very sensitive, tail heavy plane. Balance your plane at least 5mm in front of the recommended forward balance point, even if it means adding clay/lead.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:44 PM
MAKODS

I fly the Spitfire and the Corsair. Two very important things are COG and follow the recomended control throws or you will have a very tough time getting them in the air.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Aja

Which is a better flyer, the corsair or the zero?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
slcrcflyer

well I don't know if any one will read this but I wish someone would have helped me out// to answer the question I have both planes Zero and Corsair and they are great flyers I do belive the corsair is the easyer of the two but they are warbirds and they fly just like all of the glow powered ones // that translates in to you will have to be on the sticks at all times!!!!!! There is alot of negative posts out there about the many of the warbird parkflyers but I feel that the negative coments have alot to do with the pilots expierence at flying electric aircraft.. I would say if you can pilot a Zagi and fly and land a low wing trainer you should not have much trouble flying the corsair in winds up to 8mph. Good luck to whoever reads this and let me know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
rdeis
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airplaneaaron

Which is a better flyer, the corsair or the zero?
Depends on how you define "better." From what I've read the Corsair is more forgiving and less twitchy than the Zero (as it should be, I suppose..), but other than the fact that the reccomended CG on the zero is too far back I've seen few complaints about it.

Corsair is the newest warbird, and there seems to be a general consensus that each GWS warbird flies better than the last, but given that the learning path for parkflyers and glow pilots are generally quite different, I'm not honestly sure what "better" means in that context.

If you go with the corsair, look at the aileron linkage carefully. The original plan bent the torque rods around the gull wing, and enough people had trouble with it that they changed the instructions to use independent servos.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 PM
nogoer

I just built the corsair, my first war bird. I read about all the aileron linkage issues and i had really no trouble. I just bent the aileron 90 bend side straight and used leftover puchrod tubing. This allowed me to epoxy the tubing in first so they had less stress, than just carefully pushed the ailron rod back through and bent it back to 90 degrees. Its a snap, after adding some oil i have no binding issues.

The corsiar was a great kit, and came with the 350c motor. Ive heard the older kits have the 300 which was very slightly undrpowered. For me it was no question, the corsair is a one of a kind warbird and the completed kit looks fantastic! The only other option for me would have been the p-38, but thats not out yet.