Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Old 10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Hey Guys...I just now Bought my 4th hobbyzone plane "AEROBIRD EXTREME"...Ive been looking forward to stepping into this one...Also A lot of other guys who I've been talking to on here are new extreme guys too. Now...from what I am to understand there are a TON of MODS That Should be done to this thing...for better performance and some things that'll just help to keep it in one piece a lot longer..(like the wire tie around the motor and rubber banding the Battery in as to not RIP the circuit board out...Now Ive been Looking for past threads on this with little luc,k so I thought since there are a bunch of us out here that are new and need to know...Maybe some of you Experienced extreme guys can share all the goodies...Before too long Im sure I'll be adding a standard electrical control setup to the extreme plane...Just as Ive Grown to Love the Hobby/Park Zone AIrplanes...I'm DISliking the control setup just as much (IE...servo connection to the board--VERY UNSTABLE...PLEASE PLEASE be careful trying to disconnect these..You'll spend the whole weekend trying to resolder the teeny little connector...LOL

One thing I'd like to tell everyone about...There is a guy on Ebay That has been selling his own design of aftermarket Aerobird challenger AND extreme Tail wings Made out of composite materials...Ive heard some good reports of these working and am going to order one tonight....Check it out and let me Know:
The link for the Ebay Tail Wings :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aerobird-Challen...QQcmdZViewItem

OK Guys...Happy FLying and Hope to hear from you all.
Donnie V
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
tims880

Default RE: AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Yea I bought one of his tails for my challenger. He does a pretty good job on them. The only part I did not care for is he sends you rods that you tie the control line to. Then the rod slides thru the control horn. You bend the rod to adjust the trim.
I guess this would work, but I didnt use them. I used the stanard HZ part.
I also had a problem with the tail being to flat(not enough V) when I installed it. This was probally my fault. I just used fishing line to pull the tail closer together.
Now for the good part. I ran the control line the the second from the bottom hole on the horn. First flight was wild you can really make this plane turn. Straight up loops and dives straight down. This was in the standard mode. I have yet to put in pro mode. just kinda taking it easy with this one.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Donald Trump

SUPER!!!!

I converted my now 2 year old Aerobird Challenger to 72mhz. its useing a Speed 480 motor, stock prop, hitec supreme rx, and hs-55 servos. alsio 8-cell 9.6V 900 mah (I go t the cells from many distroyed hobbyzone 6-call packs, a total of four 8 cell packs) batterys. I also put lights on it, along with my converted f-27 stryker, whicht is a joy to fly, and it too has lights. (the stryker lights are gorgus)
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
tims880

Cool. Im also using a 480 motor and 7 cell 1100 mah battery. I tried the 8 cell but the esc kept shutting down.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
tims880

My mods
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Is54079.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	334064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49209.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	334065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66652.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	334066  
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
isparky343

I too use the 7 cell 1100 powerizers in my ABC. I'm using the standard tail and flying in pro mode. The one thing I did do is run a small dowel nearly the whole length of the underside of the wing. It is held in place with strapping tape. When I taped it in place i took some of the dihedryl(sp?) out of the wing. Also, the diameter of the dowel acts as a wing shim as I taped it close to the TE of the wing. I did this because I folded my last wing up pulling out of a high speed dive. UGLY!!! Now there is little to no flex in the wing and it is awesome. Combine this with doubling up the rubber bands on the underside of the control horns and you have a very responsive plane. I can get decent periods of inverted flight, the plane will roll with some speed, and it will go int a negative dive. I haven't had the nerve yet to take it way up and see if I can do an outside loop. I think my next mod will be the 480 motor, but for now my ABC is quite the little hot rod!!!

Name:	Om32195.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	334072  
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
tims880

I did my wing like the extreme. I cut out a slot and used a cf rod from spare stryker parts and used ca glue to hold it in and then covered with tape.
The washer on the back of the motor is by far the best. It acts like heatsink also. The stock screws are too short once again spare stryker parts worked. The screws for the stryker are long enough.
I do combat with my buddies. The 480 motor gives me a advantage..... making the extreme work to catch me.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:09 PM
erauskydiver

Has anybody ever tried modifying an ABX wing and putting it on an ABC? I'd imagine you'd have to do some cutting around the prop and maybe even some cutting in the leading edge to fit around the canopy. I'm guessing placement of the wing on the fuselage is really important to ensure the center is lift is over the center of gravity. Anybody try it?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
isparky343

Tims880......are you able to roll your plane with that tail?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM
tims880

I have done it 3 times. And to be honest with you it just happened. I cant get it to repeat. We were dog fighting and I did a left turn with a dive and then tried to turn right with the stick pulled back....bam she rolled. This happened 2 more times. But when I try to do it..she wont.
You said you wanted to try outside loops. I dont think this plane will do it.
I can get her to fly inverted, but not for very long.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:15 PM
isparky343

2 ways that I can get it to roll consistantly are as follows:

1: Go into the wind and be at a safe altitude as you lose it quite rapidly in the roll it seems. Turn right pretty steeply into your downwind leg. When you turn don't input any or much up elevator so that the plane dives and builds speed coming out of the turn as soon as the nose lifts push the stick all the way to the left.

2: Go into your dive as you are going to do a loop and when you are about a third of the way on your up swing, stop pulling back and pull left.

The motor torque must assist in the roll as I am unable to get it to roll right unless I am in an all out dive.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
tims880

Sounds like you got it together. Spend the 10 bucks and add the stryker 480 motor! You have to play with the tail a little to get rid of the porpise effect. But thats just minor adjustments. Do you dogfight?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
GAGE308

Cool Mods timms...I was JUST Thinking of some type of washer or metal cover...as tonight...I SLICED into the back of my motor housing on my aerobird extreme.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
tims880

Yea Im working on my buddy to put a speed 600 in his extreme. We have tried to find a 7 cell battery for this one...but the cost to have a custom built battery is .....tooo much!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
GAGE308

From what Im to understand////You can actually buy the cells at radio shack...they are the ones used for rc cars...and you can Physically wire them in Parallel....then bundle it together as you wish...as long as each individual cell is the volt and amp you need....FOr A LOT cheaper,,,The Big 6 cell I just bought yesterday was $41....UGH....I just made a sheet metal cover for the motor housing....Too tired to do it now...I'll snap a shot of it tomorrow.,,,oh,,,does anyone have a pic...of what the motor reinforcement should look like once the zip tie is in place?...I mean...Ive got the basic idea...Im just not exactly sure where to loop everything.
Thanks
Dv
Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
netdudeuk

How do you intend to deal with the extra weight impacting upon the C of G ? I've recently posted (without any replies) about me getting a 3300mAh NiMH that weighs 2oz or 3oz more than the stock battery and how that affects the C of G. Doesn't the idea of an extra cell and the associated extra weight give cause for concern ? If so, how do you intend to deal with it as surely this bird doesn't need any extra weight as it is ?

Even if I launch the model with full trim and the stock battery it needs a few yards before it starts to climb again so the thought of more weight is not too desirable.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 AM
tims880

My buddy flies with the larger 2800 ma battery. The extra weight is noticable the plane is not as snappy. But the flight time is increased alot. Going from a 6 cell 7.2volt battery to a 7 cell 8.4 volt . The 7 cell would be heavier but the extra voltage would be worth it.
In the challenger the 7 cell well there is no comparing to the stock 6 cell.
We have not done any mods to change cog on either plane.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 AM
critterhunter

If you guys do a search in this forum for "Bullet Proof That Bird!" you'll find some of my mods for the Challenger/Extreme. Also, I fly 3300ma cells in the Extreme. A 7 cell pack makes no difference in COG on the Challenger or Extreme in my experience versus the six cell. The extra horsepower kind'a makes up for the weight.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Big Bird

I've been flying this old bird, affectionately called "Big Bird" at least five days a week for over a year. I've crashed it every way possible and reinforced it every time to prevent that damage the next time. Here are my Mods, the reasons for them, and pictures of them:

1. At a distance not far above the ground I couldn't tell whether I was looking at the top or bottom of the wing so I painted the top a different color to be able to tell. It looks cool in a loop too.

2. I bought the bird for altitude but couldn't see the yellow wing against the bright sky up very high so I painted the bottom of the wing black. Now it looks like a condor or vulture soaring up in the clouds.

3. The rubber nose kept coming off so I glued it on with silicone (after trying every other glue, tape, etc without success)

4. I found that when it crashed the battery would bounce against the front foam then recoil back against the rear foam and break the circuit board off it its mount. I put bolts through all of the foam to prevent that.

5. In a crash the battery cover/hatch would not keep the battery in. The battery would eject tearing the circuit board from its mount. I cut the latch off the battery plug and keep the hatch closed with a rubber band.

6. The front plastic wing band rod kept breaking so I replaced it with a grabber screw. (It was handy.)

7. The bands cut into the front and back of the wing. I glued and taped popsicle sticks there to prevent that.

8. In a crash the motor would ram forward and suck the fuselage in with it. I put ties through the vent hole in front of the motor to prevent that.

9. The fuselage shaft twisted and popped out of its mount on the front end. I put a bolt through there to prevent that.

10. The tail kept breaking. I outlined it with a control rod taped to it to prevent that. (It adds a bit of weight to the tail so the elevators need adjusting down a bit to keep the tail up.)

11. The control "horns" (yeah, don't we wish) in the tail kept breaking. I reinforced them with bent paper clips epoxied to them and the tail surface.

O course, now that I've done all of that I don't crash any more.

Big Bird

Name:	Ay74095.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	334434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29138.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	334435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69842.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	334436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99227.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	334437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90040.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	334438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90444.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	334439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53293.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	334440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd13170.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	334441  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc56967.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	334442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug41989.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	334443  
Old 10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
netdudeuk

I've briefly used the NiMH pack and it was quite windy so I didn't really get a chance to see how it went. This is still a six cell pack. I would have just expected to get longer flights. I only manage about ten minutes with the stock one. How much do you get with the 3300mAh ? Do you also see a genuine power boost ? Do NiMHs need a few charge / discharge cycles for them to reach their potential ?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Big Bird

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

If you guys do a search in this forum for "Bullet Proof That Bird!" you'll find some of my mods for the Challenger/Extreme. Also, I fly 3300ma cells in the Extreme. A 7 cell pack makes no difference in COG on the Challenger or Extreme in my experience versus the six cell. The extra horsepower kind'a makes up for the weight.
Where did you get the 7 cell 3300 mah pack for the extreme?

BB
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
GAGE308

Reply to NETDUDEUK...
I dont know EXACTLY if ONE CELL is going to affect the c of g That much...especially since a guy "safety hawk">..strapped an Aiptek digital camcorder to his plane...in a forward position...and flew it around WAY up in the air...JUst fine....if c of G HAD to be adjusted...I guess it could be done with changing the way the taIL WING IS SET WITH THE 2 fINGERSCREWS...
gOOD LUCK
Old 10-05-2005, 04:37 PM
GAGE308

GREAT POST BIG BIRD!!!!

I thought My abx was damaged for lief after My maiden flight...and the one crash out of 5 flights...LOL>..But It looks like MY patch up job will do well...
Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Big Bird

What I didn't show you is the numerous repairs to the wing, banged and dented and big chunks taken out innumerable times and broken clear in two at least three times. I have rarely bought any replacement parts because I thought "Why replace this obviously weak part with a new one just as weak? I'll repair it better and stronger than new so it won't break again like a new part would." And, I've never had a part break again in the same place I've repaired it so it works - and saves some money. I share this with you and anyone discouraged by damage to their plane. It's not the end of the world, just fix it and fly it again.

Big Bird

Name:	Pn37006.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	334615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77005.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	334616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67231.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	334617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81872.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	334618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77502.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	334619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78433.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	334620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv40377.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	334621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us64357.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	334622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc57677.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	334623  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
GAGE308

Hey Big bird---....
ok...I was FLying GREAT TONIGHT.....I mean....AWESOME....Til I tried a Damned Loop..........I left a HUGE SMOKING CRATER....In the GROUND>.,..while A BUnch Of PAssing Children Stopped to LAugh and POint....LOL....OK....the WING took the BULK of the crash actually this time...I went and bought a new one on the way home...But Im wondering....It looks liek MAYBE I can fix it....I mean it actuallybroke in half....But it was a clean break...and the graphite rod didnt break...SO it fits back together nicely.....Just not sure of How to reinforce the where I reconnect the styrofoam...like what glue..and so forth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.