Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Stooopid question #87

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Tailspin Ken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stooopid question #87

My MM Duskstick is in the mail as I type. Soon it will be time for building and then covering. In preparation for the covering, I went to the lhs to check out irons and heat guns.
The heat guns look very familiar. So I have to ask... What is the difference between as heat gun and a hand held hair drier???? Please enlighten me.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Stooopid question #87

Hi Ken,

A hair dryer is designed to blow large volumes of air with a bit of heat: a heat gun generates a lot of heat (but adjustable high or low) with very little air flow [so it doesn't blow your covering off the frame!]. Get a heat gun AND a variable heat sealing iron (with a 'sock' on it) - you'll get a lot of use out of both! [you don't really need the fine point trim-sealing iron]. I have a Hobbico iron ($15.99) from Hobby-Town and an Ace dual heat gun from my local hardware store.

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Tailspin Ken

Thank you Dr. Kiwi. This is about the third time you have answered my questions. I do appreciate it..
I knew there would be a difference, and now I know what that difference is.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought a Dandy Sport and am starting to build it. I too have just bought an iron. The Hobby Store guy also recommended I buy a thermometer that sits on the iron and gages the actual temperature and a sock to put around the iron to prevent the edges of the iron from marking the Solite. I bought both not knowing any better - but they were not expensive. I haven't used the iron yet.

The Hobby Store guy also recommended I use the Solite on the whole plane, not just the wings as opposed to paint.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:19 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Ken, heat guns are alright, but not required. When ready to shrink the covering down, i crank my iron up to the max and wave it over the covering (about 1/4 CM up). It takes a bit of patience, but it looks nice and there'se no chance of melting holes in your covering.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

I agree, a heat gun is not required, but it is nice to have. I find it much easier to use when shrinking than the iron.

While covering, just take your time. It takes practice to get the hang of covering models.

Uncas, you can use either paint or covering on the fuse and tail of your Dandy. I myself prefer to cover the whole plane. Paint is hard to get on even over balsa without using a lot of it.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Tailspin Ken

Gee, now that is interesting. I am surprised . I may give this a try. If I am not able to get it to work, I can always get the heat gun.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Arrow>>-->

I have covered 3 planes now in Solite using only an iron. Don't have a heat gun yet so i have just turned the heat down to tack it down. Then turn it up (took some exprimentint to find the highest temp I could go without melting anything) and shink it to nice and tight. I have covered a Mountain Models Dandy and Cessna, and another plane I scratch built (see pic). The only thing I have found is Iafter a few days the Solite will relax a bit on the wings so I have had to reshrink them. After reshrinking them twice I have not had to do it again.

Here are some pics of my Dandy and Swoose covered in Solite:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30748.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	66346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25315.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	66347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97226.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	66348  
Old 10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

I have covered a plane with just an iron, but after realizing the time saved with a heat gun, I will never go back. I also ended up with a lot better looking covering job when using a heat gun.

Jason
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Tailspin Ken

[8D] Thank you everyone for your replies. Apparently the whole thing is heat gun optional, but I may get a better job with the heat gun than just the iron. I will try to use the iron, and if it does not work for me, I will pick up the heat gun. This is my first kit since I was a kid. Way back then all of my models turned out looking very grotesque. I have heard so much about the MM kits being easy builds, that I decided to try it. If it does not turn out well, and I decide not to build again, I did not want to be stuck with a bunch of equipment that I would never use again. So I was trying to be conservative on what I purchased.

Thanks all,
Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Ken,

A heat gun is dangerous on Solite. Not dangerous as in starting a fire, but dangerous in that if you do more than quickly brush it across the Solite, it will melt right through. With Solite, you can practically apply it with the heat from your fingertips, and an iron barely more than minimum heat will shrink it.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 AM
newman

Hey guys, I am also using Solite to cover a Dandy Sport. I am having some trouble getting it tight. I tacked it down, then when the whole thing was attached I went through and tacked town all the places when it was making contact with the wood. Now it wont shrink down in some spots and looks like an old lady's stockings. Is it too late? Should I not have tacked it down so much? Or am I being too paranoid with the heat? How tight should it be?

I am using the heat setting directly off the box that the iron came with and also what came with the solite. Also, I used a heat gun and slowly moved over the film and it seems to slack up a bit like it supposed to, but doesnt seem to be shrinking. I used Monokote in the past and dont recall having any problems getting a super tight fit.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Newman, Solite will shrink up better than almost any covering I've used. The problem is that you need to be very careful because there isn't much difference between shrink and melt. From your description, it sounds like you need more heat to shrink it up.

Jason