Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

New to the hobby - Recommendations Please!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New to the hobby - Recommendations Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:09 PM
crandress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the hobby - Recommendations Please!

I am new to the hobby and would like some recommendations. I have been looking at GWS airplanes and, of course, I like the warbirds. I assume these are not easy to learn on, so what would you recommend for a starter plane? GWS or otherwise, but would prefer electric with ailerons.

Also, what type of radio would you recommend? GWS, the Tower Hobbies 6 channel or another brand. I would prefer a more entry level radio to keep costs down, but would like a little room for growth.

Also, where do you recommend purchasing from? Mail order or local to Bellevue, WA.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris
Old 10-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: New to the hobby - Recommendations Please!

You're correct. A warbird is a bad place to start.
If you want to stick with 4 channels to learn on, The GWS E-Starter and the Mountain Models Dandy Sport are both highly recommended.
The E Starter can be found in most local hobby shops and at Horizon Hobbies, and the Dandy Sport can be found at Mountain Models.

I would recommend at least buying a good quality 4ch radio. If you have the money, a computer radio is well worth the money. Most comp radios have features that cannot be found on standard radios such as exponential, model memory, timers, etc.
Of course, you may want to buy a non comp radio until you decide if you want to stay in the hobby or not.

That being said, have you taken a look at the Slow Stick? It's not pretty, but it's cheap and durable. The Slow Stick has proven itself to be an excellent first plane.
Good luck, and keep us updated.

Jason
Old 10-19-2003, 08:38 AM
csisfun

Default RE: New to the hobby - Recommendations Please!

GWS planes usually handle well, especially the high wings! Beaver, J3, E-starter or Slow Stick. I heard a Slow Stick is a great place to start, but it doesn't have aileron. Try an E-starter if you want ailerons.

As for radio, have you checked out the Hitec range? Hitec has a good 4/5 channel computer radio. Its called Flash. If you go for a 6 channel, it will last a long time. Especially if you get a 6 channel computer radio.