Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

park flyer that is ok in some wind

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

park flyer that is ok in some wind

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:27 AM
flightfab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default park flyer that is ok in some wind

I am looking to start in this hobby so I am looking something like a slow stick but I also want something that is ok in some wind. I am buying G2 simulator to get the feel...
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 AM
WingBreaker
Banned

Default RE: park flyer that is ok in some wind

Flightfab,

I fly a GWS e-starter and an Aerobird challenger. I can take my ABC in almost any wind condition if I have enough room, but the GWS is only capable of light winds if any. Well, I can fly the GWS in wind, but it is risky. There is risk for any basic electric plane in wind really. It all depends on your skills. A lot of old guys at the club fly in all winds with all of their planes. I pick and choose for conditions. Usually planes with more powerful motors and the least wing surface seem to do better in wind from my experience, but these types of planes are usually not for beginners. Just get a beginner plane and be patient. Wait for the calm days. Your plane will last longer, trust me. I know from expensive experiences. Be patient!!!!

WB
Old 10-26-2003, 11:11 AM
flightfab

thanks WindBreaker- your advice sounds good. I am going to get the simulator for the winter (until the winds die down a bit in the sprind) and then go with a beginner electric. Maybe by the summer we (my 7 year old and I) can get a gas trainer.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

It's usually a bad idea to fly any beginner plane in the wind. Since they are designed to fly slower and have lighter wing loading, wind can make the most stable plane unflyable.
Being a beginner pilot only makes matters worse. Generally if the plane can get up a bit highter where the wind is steady, it's easier to fly. The problem is when the plane is closer to the ground. Trees, cars, houses, bushes, etc will creat "rapids" with the wind just like large rocks in a river, creating updrafts, downdrafts and other bad things for planes.
The best bet is to buy a plane that is known to be a good first plane, and learn when there is little to no wind.

Jason
Old 10-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Hanger-Flyer

I've found that light weight park flyer type models don't usually do well in a breeze of more than 10-12 mph.

But, if you rally want to have the "adventure"...then the Graupner Mini Piper and the Crazy Max have worked for me. The Mini Piper wing is quite good in a breezy and the plane is reasonable stall resistant. The Crazy Max is good in a breezy and it will land ok, but keep it level or it will tip and fall without warning as you slow for a landing approach. Keep the planes in the wind for maximum lift.

If I had to recomment -one- breezy day flyer, it would be the Mini Piper because it is more damage resistant.

Getting the planes to fly in the wind is easy...landing them in a breeze is the scary part.

When flying practice the landing approach. Get the plane up high and slow it down to a near standstill and try to keep it steady. This type of practice helps when it's time to land "for real" in a breeze.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97242.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	70220   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43064.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	70221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51021.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.2 KB