Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sig Li'l Rascal

Old 10-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Bill Mixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Li'l Rascal

I saw the ad for this plane in the current MA magazine.
Haven't heard anything about it yet. Anyone flying one yet?
Looks like an interesting little arf.

Bill
Old 10-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Bearzilla
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Sig Li'l Rascal

The little plane looks sweet from the specs and pics - can't wait until Tower says its shipping. The Rascal series from my experience are very good performers and very much "fun" to fly. I've already got a Rascal 110 and a Rascal Elec 49" in the family. The little guy needs a home too.

They will look pretty funny at the flying field in the spring - all lined up together.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Bill Mixon

Yeah, that would be neat.
A small, medium, and a large Rascal.

From the specs in the ad it looks like it should perform well. I'm curious to see what motor they are using in it and how it really flies.

Bill
Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM
enrique1123

I picked mine up last week and it took me 4 hours from start to finish, I got the blue one and a friend on mine got the red one, I'll fly it today after work if the wind permits it. It looks so good, even the wheel pants look great. For the size of plane Sig outdid itself in the quality of the finish. Mine came in at 9 oz. I'll keep you post it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:25 AM
john 8750

Eager to hear about the flight tests. 9 ounces seems heavy for a 29 inch wing span.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Mixed results with the Sig Li'l Rascal. As one poster mentioned, 9 oz is a bit heavy for a 29 inch wing, plus the wing area is rather small. See my attached picture comparing the Rascal to My Mini Piper.

The Rascal uses a 180 geared motor. The stock prop is too small and only offers marginal performance. Do not try and rise from ground with this plane, it will tip stall on take off.

In fact the plane tip stalls without warning when slowed for a landing approach unless you keep it in a straight line.

This is not a beginner's plane. It is quick and a bit unforgiving. Once in the air and up to speed it will fly ok, and will do some aerobatics including inverted flight. Hand launch only...or you will break the nose because it is likely to stall and cartwheel.

I use a larger prop on my Rascal which gives me the proper thrust the plane needs for stable flight. Landings are quick, and require your full attention.

It's a decent breezy day flyer...I had it in the air with a 12 mph wind today and it handled that pretty well, but again, landings are rather dramatic even with a breeze to provide more lift at landing speeds.

This is not a forgiving plane. The wing area is small and the tail surfaces are small. On the plus side, the plane looks really nice in the air. The bright red and white covering makes it very visible even from 50 yards away. A small plane needs to be bright and this one is.

I am using a 860 mah li-poly battery. The motor gets hot despite the large open area, but the battery only warmed a little, warm even after nearly 20 minutes of launches and landings and various maneuvers in the air.

When you launch it...climb, climb...get it into the air and then look for that tip stall so you can deal with it. It's waiting to get ya if you aren't prepared.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32923.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	84640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26283.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	84641  
Old 12-23-2003, 02:27 AM
john 8750

The plane to the left is a Lil Rascal by top flight. 27" 5.2 ounce with a 700 E-teck and 5043 prop. A ball to fly but loves to tip stall. I will try more down thrust and a little more nose weight.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:24 PM
enrique1123

You were right 9 oz is a little on the heavy size, so I went out and bought me 2 of the new Cirrus 4.4 servos and I will try a Kokam 640 3 cell or maybe a 540 2 cell that I got in my battery box, now when it comes to Rx's I want to stick to the JR 610, I got a GWS pico 4 channel but I don't want to risk a very nice plane on a single conversion RX, I am going to try to shave the wight to 7 oz max, we'll see.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:12 PM
john 8750

7 ounces sounds doable. I put in another 3 degrees of down thrust and that made a big difference, no more til stalls. Your Rascal will have more power than mine so you should not have any tip stalls at all.
Let us know how she comes out.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:48 PM
enrique1123

I Finally got it in the air, at 7.5 oz. I couldn't save any more weight, and it flew just fine, with the stock down thrust angle. I had to take apart a pack of 340 Kokams that I put together just 2 weeks ago and I tried both 2 and 3 cell set ups. With the 3 cell it comes in at 7.5 oz but I like the extra power from the third cell, it will fly with 2 cells but it climbs much more slower. Watch out for the landings, someone had said that you have to land a little fast and now I know why. I had to repair the landing gear already. I like it though. Bad news for my friend though He flew it with the recommended set up and it flew ok but he tried to turn just a little too fast and He stalled it about 30 off the ground and the crach wasn't pretty. Main wing is busted, cracked fuse, bulkhead completely torn off and to make it worse He can't find replacement parts. He said he is going to try to fix it but it's still disappointing. By the way if anyone needs to replace the motor/gearbox, We found out that it is the same one used for the Wattage Odissey or Baby Bee. I had the set up that I took out of my Odissey becuase I put a stock 400 in it so the repairs are underway for the Lil Rascal. Thanks for all the help guys, the tips really helped me to enjoy this plane instead of crashing on it's maiden flight like other planes that I've had in the past. Till next time.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Default RE: Sig Li'l Rascal wing modification

Since I had bought two rascals (ok...I am a sucker for a pretty plane!) I decided to try a little experiment.

The main problem with this plane is tip stalls. It's easy to see why. The smaller wing on this mini-version provides marginal lift, and the wing tips don't contribute very much at all in lift or stability. Hence...the tip stalls.

So....

I added some 20% wing area to the plane, and it did make a difference. More stable...rises off the ground better and the landings are slightly less "dramatic" than with the stock wing.

The stock prop just does not have the thrust...so I'm using a GWS slow flyer prop. Works much better. Battery is a 11.v volt li poly. The motor may or may not last long with that battery...but it will cruise at 50% throttle...so that's not a lot of voltage.

See the pictures...

Name:	Db86201.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	85546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51143.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	85547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95788.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	85548  
Old 12-29-2003, 01:12 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lil Rascal is my first Park Flyer type in many years, I am mostly an IMAC and jet flyer, so my wife thought this would be a nice change of pace as an Xmas gift (she thought it was 'cute' as well).

Just flew it yesterday...like most everyone has already said, it was also a bit 'snappy' for me. I spun it in once, fortunately into soft dirt with no damage, after a too-quick recovery from an (intentional) spin at low altitude. Up until then, I thought it flew OK if a bit more sluggish than expected with an 8-cell 300 maH NIMH pack. Then again, it was a bit windy with lots of turbulence below 50' due to some upwind trees (couldn't wait to try it out).

It really needs to fly on the wing, and not the prop, or it will snap on you! I found landing it very easy, power off, no problem...just keep the speed up on those downwind turns....nice landings on packed dirt/cropped grass soccer field with a 2-3 foot rollout. It does nice 2 channel aerobatics - loops, rudder rolls, barrel rolls, Immelmans, stall turns, Cuban 8's, snaps, and a WICKED power-on accelerated stall/snap - I got 2 1/2 very fast snaps from level flight into an inverted spin/tumble (that I did not quite recover from, no damage though). I'm going to try it again but higher than 50' next time!

Given the wing planform and weight/wing loading, I don't think this would be a good chooice for a beginning or intermediate model.

Hangar-Flyer, what size GWS prop are you using? The stock one makes lots of noise but not nearly enough thrust - I am landing with 20-30% battery capacity left due to the sagging power. I'd like to re-prop with something more efficient.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:47 PM
enrique1123

Well guys after much experimentation and a few shaky flights I can say that it flies as good as it's going to get, the set up is with the Cirrus 4.4 servos, a JR 610 RX and a 3 cell 340 Kokam, One thing that I found out the hard way is that you have to put some locktite on the gearbox, It started making some really bad noises after maybe the 8th flight. Other than that It flies Ok and it looks so cool in the air with plenty of climg authority thanks to the 3rd cell, I did set up dual rates just in case and it worked out ok.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:44 PM
Hanger-Flyer

The prop I am using is the GWS 8060 which is a 8 inch prop. I'm also running larger wheels to get the prop off the ground a bit more since I fly out of dirt lots and short grass soccer fields. The itty bitty stock wheels are only suitable for smooth pavement or a basketball court.

You may notice that I also modified the wing and this has made a major difference in the way the plane takes off, lands and handles at low speeds. It will still spin and tip stall but not as easily.

The plane isn't as pretty at the stock version, but at least the larger wing justifies the $100.00 cost of the factory ready to fly plane.

My latest flying session with the plane was yesterday and with a 12 mph breeze it was just fine in the air and rose from the ground and landed nicely. Climb out with the larger wing and prop is about 30 degrees. Landings are slower with the larger wing which makes the plane less vulnerable to damage as it contacts the ground.

The larger wing improved the center of gravity a bit and that's good because it was very marginal before.

The plane still sounds like a tree chipper with that gear box, but at least it's a reliable flyer now. I have not done too many aerobatics with the Rascal but inverted flight and some snap rolls were easy to achieve, even with the larger wing.

My li poly battery gives me about 20 minutes of activity including repeated landing and take cycles. The stock tail skid on the plane is useless...it broke loose on the 2nd landing. I've made up a stronger one.

I'm willing to bet a dollar that Sig will modify the wing soon in response to user comments. Adding a little more area to the wing could be done without wrecking the nice "look" of this model and customers will be more satisfied.

The landing gear is also rather weak, and I've bolstered that, too. My all up weight is 9.2 oz which is at the top of the published limit by Sig.

I really like the red and white colors...the plane is very visible in the air.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 AM
cobra525
My Feedback: (5)

Hi all,

I just want to be one more person that agrees in case some one is looking to buy or info. The li'l Rascal is a great looking plane but wont fly so good. I spent 109.99, the kit went together well but the quality of the balsa is way to cheap. hardy no plywood at all. Bulkheads are fragile balsa and on a rough landing the battery will fire thru them till it meets the motor or in my case blows out thru the bottom of the fuselage. Has to make LARGE turns if not it will fall out of the sky. The landing gear broke off on mine after five good landings. The tail feathers are to flappy and need more epoxy surface to be a solid part of the plane. may be the reason the likes to be so whacky. I built it perfectly straight and its not my cup of tea. If you are looking for a small park flyer thats not foam, The Clancy baby bee arf is the only plane I own now(Im really a heli guy). the little 22" winspan fits anywhere, The plane is totaly solid thru and thru and its large control surfaces make for great 3D.The little bee always rights it self and you never crash because it simply manages to come down slow and on its wheels. Great for new pilots to learn on if set up for minimal throw.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 PM
enrique1123

I agree with you Cobra, the Baby Bee is a much better plane at about 40 bucks less, It might not have the really cute lines of the Rascal but it flies way better and it's a lot more forgiving. I've got in excess of 50 flights in the Baby Bee and the only problem I've had is with the rails that you grab to launch it, I had to reinforce them but other than that it's worth the money. I really like small planes and the Rascal looks awesome, now if it flew half as good as my Rascal 400 it would be a different story.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:12 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's been a lot of discussion over on RC Groups Discussion about various mods to the LR: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164824]Sig Lil Rascal[/link]

I've been having fun flying mine with an 8-cell 300maH NiMH pack and a prop change.... Try the 7x5E APC prop, fits easily with just some minor drilling/reaming of the APC hub adapter ring (use a #8 or 9 drill, .196 to .199"). Also need to open up the prop cutouts on the spinner a bit.

Significant increase in thrust, it will almost pull out of my hand when held vertically, with a fresh 8-cell 300 maH (2/3AAA cells) NiMH pack. The stock prop, same pack, seems to have far less pull (no way to accurately measure, my fish scale is not sensitive enough). Too windy to fly it today - 20-25 MPH, oh well.

For those who are afraid to fly it - if you are an experienced RC pilot you should have no problems. It's not a slow flyer, nor a trainer, and I don't think Sig is trying to mislead anyone with their ads for this cute little bird.

It is a lot of fun to fly. It will fly OK on the stock setup, but the improved power (whether a prop change, 8 cell NiCad or Nimh, LiPO, or brushless motor) really transforms this plane.

I have no complaints.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:48 PM
cobra525
My Feedback: (5)

I for one am not affraid to take the rascal up. The sooner I smash it into a million bits the better. Then I can buy something else. It most certainly is not for beginners but is flyable, not relaxing but flyable. I just cant understand why the loose bit and pieces of balsa when changing the batteries after nice soft landings. It is a weak bird at least mine is. I am not looking for a trainer either I just like relaxing lofty planes. It provides a nice change of pace from dealing with the choppers, adjustments, a million screws and ball bearings.

Enrique I took your advise and went with Li-Ploys. My bee barely just balanced with a 2 cell 1200. I stuffed the ESC and all wires into a concentrated mass all the way into the lower forward compartment under the motor. It flies very well. The third cell you run must come in handy with high winds. I was flying mine today with 10mph plus gusts and had to nose dive to gain forward motion. I may try another prop as DBARRYM did to the rascal to see if I can get more impulse into the wind.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:38 AM
john 8750

Sorry to hear that about your Rascal Cobra.
I fly a 27" Rascal from a kit by Top flight. It's 5.4 ounces, 5047 prop, with a 700 e-tech.
Flys like a baby. I hear bad things about the 9 ounce 29" Sig model.
It is the plane to the left.
A have the little Bee kit, 24". Should be fun to and will fly slower than the Rascal.
Good luck and stay in touch.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:05 PM
usairdave

I have a post also about the Lil Rascal by Sig and had suggested adding some washout to the wing tips by shrinking the covering.
Dave
Old 02-04-2004, 05:05 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I have the Lil Rascal and am having all the same problems described. I asked at my local hobby shop about the problems with the plane and they said Sig is recommending +1 degree of incidence on the tail. It would have been nice to know this before I glued the tail on. I emailed Sig on Monday about the problems but I'm still waiting to hear back
Old 02-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

It is a lot of fun to fly. It will fly OK on the stock setup, but the improved power (whether a prop change, 8 cell NiCad or Nimh, LiPO, or brushless motor) really transforms this plane.

I have no complaints.
do like i did, axi 220826 Brushless jeti 18 esc and 3cell 1600 mah lipo pack,7x5e prop will rog about 8-12 inchs
then straight up and you cant see it in less than 5 seconds. not too scale but fun to watch and fly.
i get over 20 minutes flight more if i dont wot all the time.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 AM
joewss
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, I must be hearing about another airplane other than the SIG Lil Rascal. I have about 50 flights on mine and I've had none of the problems described above except for a tendency to snap at high angle of attack. Other than that, I love the airplane it rolls, loops and does mulitple snaps and great touch and goes. I ditched the stock motor because it sounds like its grinding corn and installed a Tweety Torque brushless outrunner motor, It swings a GWS 7 - 6 prop and flys till I get tired on a 2 cell 700 ma Lipo battery pack. There must be about 5 or six Lil Rascals at our flying field some with stock motors others with Astro 010 direct drives and I have not heard many complaints at all. Most people admit to the snap roll tendency but just a little wash out seems to tame it. I left mine stock because I like the quick snap rolls.
This is not a beginners airplane, it is fast and reacts quickly, maybe too quick for some. Every time I fly it, people comment about how much fun it is to watch it fly and some want to know how much it costs and where they can get one, I send them to Aero Micro for a Slow Stick!!

Joe Stewart
San Carlos, CA
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
enrique1123

You're right Joe, if you fly the plane fast it's a lot of fun, I think that a lot of people including myself were expecting a slow trainer, but that is not the nature of this bird, if you can fly at an intermediate level you'll do ok with this plane and it will be enjoyable. It looks great and as long as it's not mistaken for a trainer but for a little rocke it'll be fun
Old 02-20-2004, 03:07 AM
vwh20

Today , my red little Sig Rascal just arrive today, I was very excited. It look awesome! what kind of battery does it used? My setup are hs 55 servos, jeti 050 speed controller and Hitec 555 reciever. How long does it last on flight?
Thanks,
Allen

Name:	Yw68441.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	103007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74924.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	103008  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.