Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Mikey's excellent Mini-Telemaster adventure!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Mikey's excellent Mini-Telemaster adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mikey's excellent Mini-Telemaster adventure!

Well, it took the better part of a week to build. This was not a fast kit, for sure. Very few pre-cut parts, and only the wing ribs were laser cut, and they were really fragile.

I used Nelson LiteCover and the Nippy Black motor. This is that inexpensive $29.00 model plane kit from Hobby Lobby. I sure have "kit builder's burnout" if there is such a thing...after this project. (cut and glue...cut and glue...on and on and on...)

At least the plans and instructions were very good and easy to understand.

But, let me tell ya.....flying this plane was so neat I'm still in awe...amazing! I could probably get this plane to loiter in the air for over an hour. As it was...I flew for about a half hour on the same battery doing more than a dozen take offs and climb outs.

Here's a scary thing...on the way out to the flying field, the elevator servo came unglued. I discovered that during the pre-flight. I could have lost this great plane on the first flight had it come lose in the air! Luckily there was a little country hardware store three miles away and I got some 5 min epoxy and fixed it in the field.

see the pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65843.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	76987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39419.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	76988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54963.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	76989  
Old 11-24-2003, 04:13 AM
west black

Default RE: Mikey's excellent Mini-Telemaster adventure!

is it too complex for a beginner? is the brushless motor too fast? IS it worth it ?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Hanger-Flyer

Hi west black:

If you are a beginner (this would be your first plane..and you have little or no experience) then may I suggest one of the foamies like the Slow Stick or E-Starter. Then, when your flying skills are pretty good, get the Telemaster.

If you have -some- experience and have built kits before, then the plane is worth the money. It's just $29.00 after all and that is pretty inexpensive.

The "Nippy Black" brushless motor is a gem. You merely apply as much power as needed to move the plane. Order the suggested props from Hobby Lobby. They claim they spent some time finding the right prop-motor combo. After my flying experience with the plane I believe that.

Remember, I am using lithium polymer batteries on the plane (light weight but require special charger) and I modified the plane a bit during construction because my experience told me that some changes would help me have more success with the plane.

-have fun!

ORIGINAL: west black

is it too complex for a beginner? is the brushless motor too fast? IS it worth it ?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 AM
west black

I looked up hobby lobby, yes the kit is cheap but the motor is a bomb! Every thing I need for this kit rounds up to USD $230, THis is really very expensive form where I come from!!!! Is there any cheaper alternatives cause I really like this bugger!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:15 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

west black: you can cut costs significantly by using a geared speed 400 can motor instead of the nippy BL. I can't comment on flight performance yet, but preliminary calculations show that a 6v speed 400 on mpjet 2.33:1 GB with a 9x6 apc prop should haul it around pretty well with an 8-cell kan 950 nimh pack. I hate to steer you away from RCU, but the mini telemaster has been discussed in depth on the e-zone forums.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

Mikey,

Did you use the Nippy 0808/98 or the 1208/180?

Thanks,

Rex
Old 01-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Based on the Hobby Lobby website, it's the 1208\180. There are no numbers on the motor (that I can see..it's in the plane). Hobby Lobby will help you if you call in your order.

The motor provides plenty of power and mine runs for about 38 minutes which includes lots of take offs from the ground and landings. Order four or five of the recommended props and a couple of spare adapters, too. You can always use them on other planes.

It's a nice flyer...stall resistant and steady. I had mine out for 45 minutes today. The balsa is not real strong, some CA to "harden" some of the areas would help.

The landing gear is strong, but make it about 1" longer to get the prop higher off the ground. I added a tail wheel, too. The plane builds tail heavy if one plans to use li poly batteries they need to be far forward.

Set it up so the batteries can be pushed right against the motor firewall.

I used Nelson LiteCover to keep the weight down. Mine all ups at 17 oz...but it's a wee bit delicate.

Plan on a week or so to build this kit. It's not an over nighter...but for $29.00 it's a good bang for the buck.

There's a throttle lag with the Nippy motor....a slight hesitation from the time one hits the power to the time the motor spins up...but then...lots of pull and very quiet. The lag is caused by the heavier external armature, I imagine.

I doubled the size of the rudder for better low speed control when landing. The elevators could use about 30% more area but the stock size is adequate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32521.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	86793  
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 PM
eduk8r
My Feedback: (10)

Really enjoyed reading your info on this plane. I have been wanting to try electrics for a long time, and this may be just the ticket. I have flown IC since 1991 even though my original interest was in electrics. Problem: no one in the local club flies e-planes.

It is not surprising that the plane flies well. Over the years I have flown many Telemasters of all sizes. Without exception, they were all a delight!

If I decide to follow up on purchasing, building, flying this plane(and learning more about e-planes), I will need a mentor. Would you be willing to help?

BTW, I LOVE your vehicle! If there is no "H" on the front, I DON"T drive it!

Thanks!

tony
Old 02-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Sure, Tony, happy to help.

I'm not going to be online much for a few weeks but I'll check in from time to time.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:38 AM
bojangle

We fly at 7,000 feet. A friend of mine built a mini-telemaster equipped as follows. Speed 400 7.2 volt, 1:3.0 open (aluminum) gearbox ball bearing, with a 10X7 prop. He has had good success with this in his 25 ounce Sparky. I'm using the same setup in a similar scratch built plane, flies great. Get 10 to 15 minute flights on a Global Wattage 8cell 800. You can also use a 1:2.33 ratio with 8X6 or 8X8. for a little more zip. No doubt the Nippy has better performance, but we like to fly cheap lol
Old 03-08-2004, 10:40 AM
dml7953

Hi

This reply is directed towards Bojangle. I live in Denver and have had real problems with Electric to date, despite many attempts. I like the features of the Mini Telemaster based on my failures to date (Light simple and fair sized wihng area), I am very interested in your power system using 400 size motors with Gearboxes and driving LARGE props. I have found that the small prop high/speed electric struggles here at this altitude (6500ft), and has been disappointing. Can you tell me which model motor you are using and which Gearbox, and where these were obtained. I currently fly Nitro but would really like to find an electric that works here in Colorado without the hassle of the trip to the field and all the mess associated with Nitro. I also am constrained by budget and as much I would like the Brushless LIPO systems, the cost is too risky based on my current failures.

Many Thanks in anticipation
Old 03-11-2004, 02:26 AM
bojangle

TO dml 7953
Hi,,sorry I didn't see this post till tonight, we are calving here at the ranch so don't get on often.
Well, when I first started I was really confused. Luckily, my neighbor and friend had some experience. His favorite plane is the "Sparky" by Thundertiger. With a 54" span, it is very stable, flies like a dream. He is using a 7.2 volt speed 400, with a 3:1 open frame gearbox, 10X7 apc sloflyer prop. He got it all from Tower Hobbies. Look on page 94 if you have their new catalog. Gearbox T400 3:1 ball bearing, open aluminum frame. I think the system number is GPMG0415. The gearbox only number is GPMG0232.

I scratch built a 42 span that looks a lot like the Telemaster. I used a 7.2 volt 400 Graupner 1794 from hobby-lobby, with an MPJ 2.33:1 plastic gearbox, 8X6 prop. When my neighbor built his Telemaster, he used the same system as in his Sparky, and it flew great. (we are at about 6500 feet)

My speed control is a Jeti 110 from Hobby-Lobby, simply the best as far as I'm concerned.

If you have any problem finding these items, PM me your email address and we can discuss it at greater length if you want. ( I can also send you some pictures that might help)

BO