Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Battery and chargers

Old 02-16-2003, 12:41 PM
minnzoo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and chargers

I am ready to purchase the electronics for my Great Planes BLT and am looking for some advice on battery chargers and batterys. The model reccomends 6 cell 550 mah or 7 cell 1200 mah battery packs but I am wondering if there are any alternatives to Panasonic packs for this model. More importantly, they reccomend the Great PlanesElectrifly Peak Charger which can plug into your car cigattete adaptor but not into your house receptacle. I am looking for a good, not real expensive, peak charger which I can use for a while assuming I stick with Electric airplanes and or helicopters. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Bill L

I bought and use a Hobbico R/C multi-charger. it is not a peak charger, but I keep a finger on the batteries every 15 to 20 minutes to test for heat, the worst enemy of each cell. So far I do not trust a "Peak" charger. Maybe it is the cost and maybe because it is "automatic". Experience, and being retired enables me to know ABOUT how long to charge without getting HOT! I also have an inverter in my automobile and one in my Motor home. I can charge on the way to the field or at the field on my AC Charger. AC powered chargers draw less than 1AMP. That is low! Small plug-into-cigarette lighter types of inverters will operate a charger. I also use Gemini, JR, Electrifly, Radio Shack, and Firebird wall warts. 120V AC Draw is minimal on all of them.
PEAK DETECTORS: I did shop around and If I ever buy a Peak detection charger I'd look seriously at Dymond up in Washkosh WI. www.rc-dymond.com , or Hobby Lobby at www.hobby-lobby.com , or TOWER HOBBIES at
www.towerhobbies.com .
I'd also look at Quantum models www.quantummodels.com over in Shelbyville Ky. (orders $100+ shipped free)
ALSO Hobby Horse Madkson WI, ships $100+ orders free. [email protected] .
SR Batteries, are not cheap but brag about their quality. Radical RC (Maial order only) right here in Dayton Ohio area are knowledgable, versatile, and make their own packs of batteries. I can't find the web-sites, but surff and you will find them.
Electric Flying is fun, clean, neat, and so scale. You fly it, not aim it. I really enjoy it and hope you do.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 04:43 PM
00hex

Most people would be far less likely to damage batteries using a peak-detecting charger. You can't just assume that the batteries will take the same amount of time to charge every time. For one thing they won't always have the same amount of charge. And what if you charged your battery 2 days ago and just want to top it off? And BTW checking the batteries every 15-20 minutes is nowhere near often enough.

Don't bother with a cheap charger. I have the Electrifly charger and it works fine but it was a waste of money. It only handles 6 & 7 cell batteries (8 if you leave your car running for an hour while it charges. yeah right!). It will also be very very slow with a 1200 mAh battery - over 2 hours to charge.
You can probably find a good peak charger for around $50-100. It will need to charge both NiCds and NiMHs. If you can afford it get one that handles lithium (li-ion and li-poly) batteries - in some cases these are half the weight of NiCDs and have way more capacity. Also look for one that handles at least 8 cells which will leave you more room to grow.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:30 AM
rcav8r

There are places to skimp with electrics ( not many but a few). Skimping on the charger or battery is not the place. As others stated, not using a peak charger can shorten the life of the pack, ( more so with Nmh cells) or on the other end, not give you a full charger. A 1/2 charged pack won't just give you 1/2 the time, but you will have less power to the prop.

I'm not that familure with this exact plane, but those packs seem heavy for that type. Then again the GP park fliers run on the heavy side, so they add a larger motor ( speed 280 I think) to compensate...which makes it heavier, and requires a larger battery...which makes it heavier....

A simular model that I am currently flying is a Mountain Models Dusk stick. 50" wing 7.3 ounces RTF and using a GWS A motor with a 10" prop and an 8 call 300mah Nmh pack, and routlinly get 17-20 minute flights.

There are many peak chargers out there, if you plan on sticking with electrics... plan on getting the best you can afford at this time. It is better to buy a good charger than to buy cheap, and buy twice. For my small stuff I use a Dymond peak charger. .3 .5 and 1 amp ranges, 4-8 cells, and I got it for $25.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:38 PM
minnzoo3

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys. Still not sure what I'll get, but I have some places to start looking. thanks!
Old 04-01-2003, 03:23 PM
BobbyBalsa

Try out the Simprop Intelli-control . Being an electronics technician I built all previous chargers myself , But the Simprop charges all kinds of bat's , even NimH .

Greetings from Lier ( Antwerp , Belgium )
Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 AM
goofup

My Wattage PF-12 AC/DC peak charger can handle just about any battery I'll ever get, and it's only $50. Check it out here.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Bill L

I still like my Hobbico RC multicharger for its versitility. I am retired, and can give all attention to the charging process. BUT.........When I buy another charger, it will be a Peak charger! I'd like one that charges more than just one pack at a time. Occasionally I'll be using all 4 outlets on my Hobbico, BUT I will turn a fan (I recovered one from a busted microwave) on the charger during hard working times![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]