Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Electric power advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:46 AM
eballz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric power advice

I am converting a formally rubber powered model to a 3 channel electric r/c micro flyer. The airframe will need to be modified for strength and for electronics, a neat little project. Cant wait to see how it turns out. The model is micro sized with a 24 inch wingspan. High wing, good dihedral, and flat bottom aerofoil - like a miniature trainer.

I am new to electric r/c so my main questions for you electric gurus are: what is an ideal powerplant for this model? Three channels means it will have ESC, rudder, and elevator. I was thinking 180 sized but am unsure on battery size or type. NiMH or Lithium? Current rating? Geared or direct drive?

thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2003, 04:57 AM
west black

Default RE: Electric power advice

im too good at this but what i know is that micro flyers normally use 1 cell li-po, but you are using a 180 seized motor which im not sure about. if its a slow flyer try geting a motor from sky hook n riggin. either ways i would recommend a pack of li-po even though you need more than 1 cell.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:14 AM
eballz

Now I am thinking a 180 is too much for such a light machine, this is a former guillows rubber power kit. I was considering this motor/battery combo. Let me know what you think.

Motor/ESC: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJN2&P=0
Battery: E-tec 250-2S @ www.lightflightrc.com (250maH/7.4V LiPo)

Do you think I should go with a 340maH/7.4V LiPo instead?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:07 AM
west black

I think you should try posting this in the electric indoor and micro flight forum. because i m not sure about coreless motors. sorry.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

What kind of plane is it? Is it a warbird, trainer type, or floater?

The GWS IPS power systems work well. I used this motor/gearbox on my 5oz Mini IFO with good power to weight ratio.
It's current draw is very small and you'd be able to use just about any of the smaller batts. I'd recomend sticking with a 2 cell Li-po pack such as this, or if you want more duration with a bit of weight gain you could use this pack.

What kind of covering are you using? The lightest I know of (other than dope and tissue) is Solite.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Jason
Old 12-08-2003, 08:10 PM
eballz

The covering is conventional dope/tissue... I would use solite if the model was not already built This is more of a conversion project.

That motor/battery combo looks pretty good. I think I'll try that. Looks like a perfect match for the size of the model. Thanks again for the advice