Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

I WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL BE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:05 AM
john 8750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL BE.

Just wondering how long it will be till someone flying in a public park crashes and causes damage. Or hurts a spectater. I mean severe enough to stop us from flying in the parks.
There are a whole lot of beginners teaching themselfs to fly.
I have seen some planes flying much faster than is safe for the public parks.

Anyone worried about this?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:52 AM
bonescro

Default RE: I WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL BE.

Join the AMA, and you're insured.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
john 8750

Does the AMA insure the right to hurt some one?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

AMA insurance only covers you if you are flying at an AMA recognized Field!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:42 PM
enrique1123

We have a big group of flyers and fly at a Junior High school weekends, and yes we have a lot of novices that at first were spectators. When the number of pilots got to be large enough that we were having midair collision it was time to act. Some of the guys from the group went to the city and the school district and got permission from both of them to fly, we do insist on everyone having AMA insurance and and are in the process to become a chartered club.
We have designated a safey officer and limit the size and speed of the airplanes, luckily there are 2 large flying fields in the area that we can go fly our gas planes and helis. But the concern of someone being hurt is always present and I do fear that an accident could have adverse consequenses, such as the one in California where a novice flying a 40 size plane in a flying field managed to lose it and hit a motorist on the freeway. If We all try to mentor the newcomers to this wonderfull hobby We'll all benefit in the future. I think of myself as a good pilot, but I've had my share of accidents. About a month ago I was flyint my Wattage Cub 400 and was on approach to land when the son of an spectator ran across the field chasing after his dog that decided to chase someone else's plane, luckily I had enough tiem and crashed the plane into the ground avoiding the dog and the child but it was a very close call, I hate to think of the alternative.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:39 AM
eef mcglikn

im a newbie....

my kids bought me my first plane.

after five crashes and $$$$ .......... missed hitting a parked van by about a foot....straight down from 100 foot high..wide open.

WAY STUPID.....................

after buying all new parts...third fuselage...second wing set...new motor.....$$$$$..... went to hobby shop and they told me where the "pros" fly.

in under ten minutes they had me SAFELY in the air.

made some awesome new friends....

am now in my permanent hobby.

MANY THANKS TO DAVE AND HOWARD AT LAMAR PARK GR MICHIGAN....for taking the time to make me safe and the sport safer.

eef
Old 12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
scudrunner77

I currently fly my Graupner Terry at a soccer field on lunch break or school yard near home, but have often felt like I need more room. Sometimes I am sure my plane is over a house or at least if I lost control it would head that way. I did loose sight of a none powered glider- Gentle Lady, at the school yard when it went behind a portable building. I pushed the stick forward and
put the plane into the ground as soon as possible. Damage was minimal...but I didn't care, I just didn't want to hurt anyone, or fly into the house next to the school yard.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:09 PM
john 8750

I fly in three public parks. I get out there early and if anyone is there I dont fly or wait till they are far away from me.
I dont want the possibilty of a complaint. It would take only one comment to the right person to start a chain reaction of bad news.
I hope that everyone will think this way.