Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

What I learned about dihedral and ailerons this weekend

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What I learned about dihedral and ailerons this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I learned about dihedral and ailerons this weekend

So, I went out and bought (on impulse) the Watt-Age "Live Wire" plane. Heck, I can fly this, I said to myself...thinking of all the good results I've had with my Mountain Models Dandy and my Graupner Mini Piper and a couple other planes....

But nooooo......

The plane was uncontrollable. It would try to climb and then just slip back to the ground. So, I fixed it, and crashed it, fixed it and crashed it.

Finally gave up. While in the local hobby shop one of the really sharp flyers there asked me..."how much dihedral does the plane have?" "Well, none", I said. "Ailerons?" he asked. "No I decided not to install ailerons because I didn't want to do the work and buy two more servos", I replied.
"That's the problem. No plane will ever fly if it has zero dihederal no ailerons. All it will do is skid and crash".

Ok, well I learned something then. Abandoned the Live Wire and got a lesson from a guru...hehe.

Here's a pic of the plane while it was still flyable after the 4th post-crash fix...(sigh)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87009.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	82203  
Old 12-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What I learned about dihedral and ailerons this weekend

Sorry for your frustration. It is true, a plane with no dehidral will only slide sideways without ailerons.
Get that Dandy back in the air and have some fun. That's the best way to overcome problems.