Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS 600mAh in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 04:52 PM
bribri543

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS 600mAh in the cold

Hi, I just got back from a dissapointing set of "flights" at my field. I was testing out my new skis i made and i guess they are a bit heavy, or the cg is off, but anyway, my stupid 270mAh battery was dead within 35 seconds. I charged it last night and I am getting very frusterated with it. I want to know if I can use the GWS 600mAh battery on my slowstick with the ICS50? Let me add that this is in 20 degree weather.

I know that battery life and power is hurt in the cold, but can it possibly suck up 90% of my battery? I am beginning to think that this is a problem with the pack. My LHS kindly cycled it for me since I don't have that capability with my charger. He said it should be fine now, and guess what, first flight out and its dead in half a minute. I really dont understand this...[&o]

Will i be able to get better flight times with the 600 battery in the winter in combination with the Dubro $10.00 snow skis? Those will be much lighter than my homemade pontune/skis. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:55 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GWS 600mAh in the cold

I forget, is the ICS50 ESC the 5A.? or more? Anyway, I use an 8 cell pack I made from Ray-O-Vac AAA NiMh 700mah cells I got @ Wal-Mart. I use a G.P. C-10 ESC and even in winter, I get flights long enough to make me stop because I start to get cold...The 370 motor will draw some amps, and that (piece 'o crap) 270 pack doesn't have anywhere near 270 mah actual capacity, from what I've measured. You need at least 7 cells to get decent power, and when you use 7-8 cells, you need an ESC that can take at least 10-15 amps, cuz I've measured from 8 to 12 amp draw from a speed 300/ mabuchi 370 w/ same gearbox and similar props...If you use my combination, I can tell ya it'll rip that plane right off the ground in two feet. Just don't use WOT very long w/ a full charge...
Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 PM
bribri543

The ICS50 only draws 2amps. So I should be looking at a new speed controller, anything that can pull 15amps or more? Maybe the Pixie Castle thing. Then im safe to go for anything 700mah or more? I want long flight times and im willing to sacrifice weight since I hear that the plane can handle it (Slowstick). Hopefully santa will leave me some goodness under the tree
Thanks for the help, and if anyone wants to add anymore things that would be good. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

If you're running the EPS300 or EPS350, you should think about getting a 10amp ESC.
When flying in the cold, you'll want to keep your battery in your inside coat pocket to keep it warm, and not take it out until you're about to take off. If you want longer flight times you could try a 7-8cell 720mah pack, or Li-poly.

Jason