Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Slow Stick Survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWS Slow Stick Survey

And your putting this motor esc on your SS your peak current is 19amp i see no reason you could not use the 25 amp esc but that is what i would do and add the
GWS Aluminum Brushless Motor Mount (2pcs) sold there to
those plastic mounts break
KV: 1000rpm/v
Operating Current: 6A ~ 15A
Peak Current: 19A
Suggested prop: 10 X 4.7
Suggested Battery: 1300~2200mAh 3S1P
Weight: 59g
Dimensions: 27.6 x 32mm
Shaft Size: 3.175mm
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 AM
tam popo

Blxpy - Layback's right on all points. The 25A esc will give you a little lee-way and can be used for your next planes. The motor is a beaut, a well-thought of b/less and better quality at a great price. And laybacks comment on the motor mount are spot-on as well, I just broke my sh*t* GWS plastic mount, the ally one would of been bullet-proof. Its all coming along nicely.......
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
MikeC557

Blxpy

Just another two cents on the motor mount. There was a time when I kept doing a nose in landing and breaking the shaft on my motor. That is a PIA to replace. Then I switched to the GWS plastic motor mount, the one mentioned above as breaking. It is cheaper than a motor shaft and far easier to replace. I no longer break shafts, and rarely break the plastic motor mount. So my thought for you is this: if you expect some less than elegant landings that might cause a nose in to the ground, use the plastic. If those kind of landings are not what you do then use the metal motor mount. Early last year, all the fuse/s were the alum square tube and if something didn't give way first, that is break sooner, then the alum fuse bent causing even more difficult repairs. Now that they are plastic/or whatever the danger of damaging them seems much less.

Just my two cents
Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Sir Raleigh

For your ESC, I recommend the first one (the 18 amp one) since the motor will only be drawing about 7 - 8 amps based on the prop you've chosen.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
tam popo

TIP for anyone with the ally fuse. If it bends and slightly crumples get a stick less than 10mm (metal/wood etc) thats strong. Stick it into the fuse and push till it meets the bend or obstruction and then gently bend the fuse till the stick goes thru - remove the stick and the fuse should be OK and straighter. If you just bend it without inserting anything it will crumple and break or worse............I know from experience!![][&o]
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
ourtime61
My Feedback: (38)

Hi,

Love flying the Slo Stick recently saw one that had been converted to built up wing and tail feathers.....anyone know where to get these parts or the plans for them?

Thanks

Ed

( [email protected])
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

Thanks for your input everyone.

Will prolly go the larger capacity ESC to give me some flexibility in the future, and will get both plastic and alloy engine mounts in my order.

Off to Model flight now for a few more bits!

I wish the kits were a bit cheaper over here - I'd love to get going on another one and get a pair of the steel head cores for a nice neat aileron conversion - http://www.steelheadproducts.com/ Might just have to scratch build the next one.

Is this what your looking for ourtime? http://www.millenniumrc.com/Slow%20Stick%20X.html
Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

Okay so I'm just waiting on my Wattsuprc order to come in the post - should be here tomorrow.

Will post some pics and list the full set-up when it's all finished.

I noticed that my wing must have drooped while the epoxy was setting in the join between the wings...

The dihedral looks to be more like 8 deg instead of 12 deg. Is this likely to affect the handling/stability much?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
layback2

I do not think it will effect the flying much i have took all deg out of the SS it flew just fine
Old 03-30-2008, 04:49 PM
layback2

NOw your talking buying the SSX wing and tail and useing your own gws frame kit or ARF nice planes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

I'll do this one first: http://stevensaero.com/StevensAero-s...E-p-18450.html

Looks a bit more docile. After that an SSX for sure - It'll be awesome to see that one whipping round the local football oval. It's a great looking setup.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
layback2

OK you guys made me do it after my old SS is hanging together with more clear tape then you ever seen well she is very old one of the first they came out with years ago lol i decided to break down and buy a new Yellow SS orderd a new TP 2410 09Y brushless and 20 amp esc from headsup rc at flea bay and use my 11.1 3s 1100 polyquest lipos light weight batterys will keep her up for a long time should be ready by saturday for some more fun now if the wind will hold off for a while
Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be like flying a different plane layback.............. let us know how it goes.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

I'm looking into doing the aileron mod on my standard GWS SS wing.

Are the pre-marked ailerons big enough?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 AM
tam popo

Blxpy - how you doing pal, just come back from the BBQ thread!! I just took a look at my SS and personally what I would do is make the aileron start cut close to the fuse and about 10-12in long. That way you could in theory just use one strong servo to operate both ailerons instead of using one servo per wing/aileron. The wing looks a bit fragile towards the tips. If it doesn't work then use the 2 servo method. Again, its my personal method even on all of my 3D Profile planes, it just simplifies things and there's less chance of a failure if use you good quality servos.
Byeeee fo now, got a Kanga and a Koala to roast and some Bundy Rum to finish....got Dame Edna coming for tea!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

Hey Tim-Tam we are on opposite sides of the world right? Shouldn't one of us be asleep right now?

Hmmm one servo - hadn't considered that.

I went against your good advice on my CF bracing by the way, and ran 3mm all the way around the wing. With my record for trashing wings it seemed the right thing to do. Might live to regret it yet - time will tell if and when she gets off the ground. I will post pics when finally all together.

With your taste in Australian marsupials I've got a great photo to email you... Standby...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 AM
layback2

Hmm i have did the aileron mod on my last SS the standard cut on the wings works great with two servos i even use the hobbico push pull system useing one servo that worked ok too but blxpy
if you never have flown a plane with ailerons get ready for fast turning rolls the great things you woint see in a rudder elevator plane something to build and try when you have got use to the SS
mine i lowerd the Deg in the wing with ailerons you do not glided as far great fun thow i order a new SS iam going ailerons with it push pull
Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
MikeC557

ORIGINAL: blxpy

I'm looking into doing the aileron mod on my standard GWS SS wing.

Are the pre-marked ailerons big enough?

B

They'll work, but... I made mine that exact size and wish I had made them a little bigger. I also flattened the wing some. When I built the wing I put a kitchen sponge about 3/4 inch thick, maybe they were 1 inch thick, under each wing tip and then glued it up. That gave it a little dihedral but not the huge amount of a stock wing. I also used one servo each because it made for a simple build. I used hitec 55s. You really cannot go too wrong. But do be careful of making your aileron so wide that you weaken the back trailiing edge of the wing where the rubber bands hold it on.

Mike
Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

Can I get some feedback on how I've got my front end set-up so far? Don't mind the rubber bands - everything will be fixed in place with velcro dots / straps.

I will be fitting a prop saver instead of the standard prop mount, and I'm still waiting for my Rx which I'll prolly put behind the LE of the wing.

L.E. is 150mm behind center of prop, and C.G. is 100mm behind L.E.

Is it okay to have the motor/ESC leads all exposed like that, or should I run them down to the bottom of the engine mount and back along the stick?

This is my first one of these so please comment if you think I have made any vital errors.

Will provide full pics and a list of mods when she's ready to maiden.

Cheers,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38938.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	927413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26051.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	927414  
Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Sir Raleigh

Your setup looks very close to mine except my ESC is mounted under the wing. My motor is mounted on top of the stick like yours and the wires just run back to the ESC through the LE wing saddle. It looks like you're ready to go.

Order of items mounted on my SS: motor, battery, wing LE, ESC, receiver, servos, wing TE, tail.

Mine flies great. Doesn't porpoise when going to full throttle and floats like a feather when throttle is cut.

The LE of wing is 173 mm from center of prop and the CG is 95 mm from LE.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ben here's a pic of my setup. I keep mine balanced at 4 1/8 back, a touch nose heavy.

Tim

Name:	Fd92996.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	927675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28840.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	927676  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

ORIGINAL: Sir Raleigh
Mine flies great. Doesn't porpoise when going to full throttle and floats like a feather when throttle is cut.

The LE of wing is 173 mm from center of prop and the CG is 95 mm from LE.
Sounds like yours handles well from zero through full thrust. Exactly what I'm aiming for - might take a few flights to dial it though in I'm sure.

Interested to see your LE is further back than mine. That's good news - I'd like to move mine back a bit to make the CG easier to achieve without having my battery so far forward. (I've added a bit of weight down the tail end hence the forward battery.)

I probably should have gone with your advice on the smaller ESC too - The 25A one is pretty bulky. I think I'll order the 18A one and swap them over.

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ben here's a pic of my setup. I keep mine balanced at 4 1/8 back, a touch nose heavy.

Tim
I like the forward positioning of the wheels Tim. That'll be my little project for tonight if I get a chance.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 PM
layback2

Are right guys i broke down a got a new SS i ordered the yellow version lol
got it today allways a easy build will be flying tomorrow if the wind will lay off for a bit will post pics when down
OH the wheels that come on the kit what are they 2.5 inch well i have a extra set of the easy bug wheels that are 4 inches that you can take off in the grass i was suprised when the bug flew from 3 inch grass lol
I happend to order a couple of the new GWS Slow Fly Version 9x7 3 blade props to try on the SS
i will see if they are as good as i was told

Number of cells: ___3_____ What brand/mAh: ___polyquest 1100_____
tower pro 20 Amp ESC ____
Servos: ___Narvo STD_____
Transmitter/Receiver: __futaba__GWS 6n____
Motor (tower pro): ____
2410-09Y Outrunner Brushless Motor &
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
layback2

Well the wind has been a dickens here for quite some time have not been able to fly nothing
tell yesterday i tryed to fly my Mr. Lit Magician (Flying Witch that was a blast i learned real fast the the body needed packing tape placed of it to keep the body from wobbleing in the light wind flew great the first time and the second time the hat rim pop off and down it went uses very small guide wires the keep it on and they came off so to fix that problem i used fishing line that put a stop to the hat rim problem uses a 8.4 730 nimad battery i got 8-10 minutes oer flight at full throttle

Name:	Jh16494.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	938655  
Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Coll little plane Layback.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.