Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS P-51 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:27 AM
saitrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS P-51 Mustang?

hey,

well what are peoples opinions on this plane for acrobatics as a 2nd plane from a sky scooter pro 2? thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 03:03 AM
saitrix

Default RE: GWS P-51 Mustang?

has no one got any opinions on this plane at all?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Technically, this plane would fall under the park flier class. Let's send the post over there and see how it does.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
saitrix

ahh i didnt think of it being under that class. thanks for moving it.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
WingBreaker
Banned

I think this is a great plane and very aerobatic. I am using a 400c "D" gearing with an 8 x 6 gws prop and a 3 cell e-tec lipo with throttle control. You can see really super video of it on my web site, http://www.hapdigital.com/FBII.htm Look at the GWS war bird evening clip. It has the best video of it. The 350c "D" and 10x8x4 prop and 8cell kan 650 pack works great too. That is what I originally used on it. The Zero is using this set up also.

WB
Old 01-10-2004, 05:59 AM
saitrix

hi, thanks i have downloaded all the videos for the p-51 and it really does look good. do you use the retractable gear? also is the retractable gear flimsy at all or easily broken? thanks
Old 01-10-2004, 07:42 AM
WingBreaker
Banned

I don't use retracts yet. I am getting a formosa soon , and I would like to try them out on it. Tips for them would be great for me too.

WB
Old 01-12-2004, 01:59 AM

I think its a pretty big jump from the Sky Scooter to the GWS Mustang. But, as long as you remember that the Mustang likes some speed, you should be all right. The Mustand isn't real forgiving on the elevtor and it will roll very fast. Keep your throws down and try not to get to wild with the elevator at slow speeds and you should be ok. If you can get in some sim flight using alerons, it might help you out. On the bright side, the Mustang is foam and can be put back togather many times before its wore out. My best flying buddy had at least 30 crashes with his. Of course, he broke a few gear boxes and bent a lot of prop shafts, but they are fairly cheap.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:55 AM
saitrix

i dont have that much money so i dont want a plane i will get bore of quickly and i fancy a challange. i managed to learn how to fly with the sky scooter pro 2 with no help so hopefully i will find it the same. thanks for the info
Old 01-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would consider the Spitfire too if I were you. The GWS Stang is the hardest to fly of all gws warbirds. The Spit on the other hand is not as smooth to fly as the Corsair would be but lacks the aggressiveness of the Stang. Best of all, it glides well!

For more information visit http.//www.gws-fans.com!

Rev
Old 01-20-2004, 02:23 PM
NordiX

As mentioned, the GWS Mustang must have speed. It tip stalls rather easily and can get really squirrelly when trying to land. And you also MUST (as in, absolutely) have a radio that has duel rates. If you try flying this thing at full rates on an analog radio, you not gonna survive the maiden flight.

If you're new to flying, (regardless of how much natural ability you think you have) I would not recommend the P-51 as your 2nd plane.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
halfmoon129

Yo,

I just got my mustang and put it together and on the first 6 flights I threw it into the air and it just wobled like I was messing with the ailerons, but I wasnt, and then it just nose dives into the ground from 30 feet. Ive shattered the whole fuselage into pieces before I even got to fly it. so does anyone else have that problem? Is it the weight? Is the motor even powerful enough for it? Also, this is my first time actually building and flying a plane other than an aerobird, so I dont really know how to handle a plane with ailerons. Will someone please help me, tell me everything you know.
THANK YOU
Old 02-03-2004, 06:03 PM
enrique1123

I'll tell you what I know, the P51 from GWS is one of my favorite planes, I fly everything from ParkFlyers to .90 gas planes and I really enjoy the little Stang, I did not like the motor/gearbox that came with it (300C) it had barely enough power to stay in the air and definitely not an aerobatic plane, after a really bad crash that broke the fuselage in half I fixed and installed a 350C set up with a px7 prop and 3 Cell 2100 TP LiPo, that set was very good but I wanted more power so I changed the gearbox to a GWS 400C and a Mega 16/15/6 with the same battery, now the plane is almost 20 oz. but it flies like a hawk, landings have to be done a little fast but it's awesome in the air. and I use dual rates because it is very touchy. Don't throw away the pieces chances are you can fix it.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:16 AM
halfmoon129

Thanx,

I figured the motor wasnt too powerful. I've already glued the pieces back together so i am ready to fly it again, however, I discovered that the damned motor snapped in half , rendering it useless. So I guess it would be a good time to buy one of those powerful motor setups you were talking about. So my question is, how much would it be for all that stuff? (350C set up with a px7 prop and 3 Cell 2100 TP LiPo)

This friday I am probably going to go buy all the stuff at the LHS, so anytime before then would be good for you to let me know. Also, I want to get another plane that isn't so hard to controll (seeing how I've only flown the stupid Aerobird Challenger). What would be a good plane that has elevator controll and maybe aeilerons (do I even want aeilerons? do you think they are too high tech for an inexperienced guy like me?) Any and all information will be welcome. Peace Out
Old 02-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Steve Stricker

The GWS P-51 needs to be a little nose heavy. Balance the plane just forward of the wing spar. I'm using the Thunder Power Li-poly 2 cell 2100 MAH batteries and I get about a 20 minute aerobatic flight. The handling drastically improves when the CG is right. My first flight was hairy and the landing was almost uncontrollable until I corrected the CG then the plane came alive. Now it's one of my favorite GWS models. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:47 AM

The Mustang has enough power to fly stock, but you can't have any weak points in your power system. One of the first things I did was try a 9x7 prop. Its sounds like the wrong thing, but with the battery pack I was using, the stock power system couldn't get the supplied 10x8 prop to spin fast enough. I lost a little thrust but I made up alot of speed with the 9x7. Remember, this is not a plane you are going to hover, you want speed. Another is, what are you using for your battery pack? Most packs will ussually need about 3 flights to get broken in.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
halfmoon129

someone please answer my message
Old 02-05-2004, 05:17 PM
enrique1123

Hey HalfMoon, depending on how much you want to spend and if you had a charger that does LiPo's, If you want to go easy on the wallet and because your I don't know your flying experience level but try these set ups, I've had both and I liked both.
1. GWS 350C with a 9070 prop a 20Amp ESC and a 9.6 800 mah battery cost=75.00 give or take= good flying, some experience.
2. Mega 16/15/6 8x6 prop Jeti 30-3p ESC and a 2100 3 Cell LiPo battery cost=250.00 give or take, if you have the charger already= awesome flying, will take off in about 3 feet from a paved surface, definite experience on the sticks necessary.

Ailerons: I think that ailerons are awesome, the planes behave differently, you can do a lot more stuff, Try the E-Starter from GWS, everything that you have in the Stang will fit and vice versa, also you will grow with the E starter, good luck.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 AM

Sorry HalfMoon I missed most of your question. I second enrique. The E-Starter would be a good choice. You could even start using it without ailerons, then add them later.
One more motor choice would be the Himaxx brushless. It would be kinda in between enrique's 1 and 2 choices.
Using the Himaxx 2015-4100 you could get by with an E-tech 3s pack, as long as you didn't put to much prop on it and used some throttle management. The whole setup would be about $140. Again, if you already have the Li-Poly charger.

Don't sell the E-Starter short though. I had great fun with mine. I flew it for a long time. If I started to get bored, I would bump the control throws up. And the best part is, it don't cost very much and it will work great on cheap battery packs.