Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ALKALINE BATTERY QUESTION.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:38 PM
ncpcdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALKALINE BATTERY QUESTION.

This newbie has been flying a Slow Stick for a couple of days now. Been gluing a bunch of props back together but haven't hurt the plane yet! This North Carolina wind is a killer!!
Have a 300-c motor with a 7.2 volt 600 mah ni-cad. I only have one battery to fly with and most of the time thats fine. I would like to take a couple of friends out to a big field and fly for a hour or two. I don't want to go out and buy more ni-cads for this one event. If I solder 5 aa alkaline battery's to make a 7.5 volt pack will it have the milli amps to run like my ni-cads? I know it is a one shot throwaway deal, but it will be worth it in my case. Thanks for all the info I have read so far.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Lynn S

Default RE: ALKALINE BATTERY QUESTION.

I think it would be better to make some type of holder. If you heat the alkaline batteries they might explode. You might just tape them together.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Arrow>>-->

Default RE: ALKALINE BATTERY QUESTION.

First- No I would not use Alkaline batteries for the reason Lynn S said. Second 5 cells won't be enought to get your plane off the ground. Not enough volts and depending on what esc you are using you low voltage cutoff will kick in any how. And Third- be very careful gluing the props back together. A broken pro flying off at full throttle can do lots of damage to you as well. Get your self a prop saver and you won't break near the props.

The best way to get you some cheap battery packs is buy some loose cells so at many places on line and build your own packs. You can get 720 mah aaa's for less than a dollar per. So with the batteries and a conector you can have a new pack for less than ten dollars. If you want some really long flight times get some lithiums. I have a bunch of ltiiums from cell phone and by making a 2S2P pack can get over 1 hour flight times off a single pack. The batteries only cost about $2 pr cell on those so again about $10 for a pack. All you need is a cheap lithium charger and your set.