Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Converting small glow power planes to parkflyers

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Converting small glow power planes to parkflyers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting small glow power planes to parkflyers

I have converted my Littlest Stick(20 inch span, 85 sq in.) to electric and have a parkflyer flight system in it from a SkyVector. I have found that the 3ch FM Tx sold by Ready to Fly Fun. com works with my receiver to give it 3 channels instead of just 2 with the Skyvector tx. It has a 2500 ft range.
It looks like the flight gear they sell for the T-Hawk would work in just about any small plane up to 1/2 A size. I look forward to building more planes for my 3 channel system. I have another flight pack from another SkyVector so I will be able to fly two planes with this tx.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64542.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	97467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93851.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	97468  
Old 02-05-2004, 02:06 AM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Converting small glow power planes to parkflyers

Man that's a lot of right thrust, or is the picture distorted?

Looks like a lot of fun with maybe not so many bucks to do it. Nice work.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Lynn S

Thanks Ed,
Yep that is a lot of right thrust. It should be 3 degrees, it flys straight anyway. It is cheap, you can build this plane for just a few dollars worth of balsa. I think I'm going to cover the next one with laminating plastic and spray paint it lightly.
The new T-Hawk 3ch FM tx works great. That cost me $30,and $17 for a servo, other than that it was just the plane and Skyvector parkflyer guts that I had laying around.
It could use just a little more power, so I think I will also try a 280 motor on my next one and build it lighter. I may enlarge it a little.
You don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:47 AM
O2man

Aw, Man! Now I have another project to think about. I'll never finish them all I have a small "forest" from Tower that is crying out for butchering. This could be just the thing. I may just be forced to design my own electric stick just to say that I did it.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Lynn S

Ed,

Here is a link to the plans for the Littlest Stick, you can make it larger with a copy machine if you want to. It has a 30 inch span when you set the copy machine at 150%, You can also add 2 extra bays to the wings for more wingspan.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/littlestick.pdf

its a great little airplane!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:38 PM
O2man

Lynn

Thanks for the link. I have printed it out and now I am distracted from the Nick Ziroli Mini Sukoi 26 that I have on the building board. What I need is a little discipline!

I couldn't tell from your post and pictures what you used for power. Is that the motor from the skyvector? Can you tell your all up weight? What batteries, motor equivalent, prop?
Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Lynn S

Ed,
Yes this is the motor,prop, battery,esc,rx, and servo from the SkyVector. The Littlest Stick is designed for Rudder Only single channel flying. That means the wing has a lot of positive incidence or upward tilt. This makes the plane climb when flying. You will not need that if you have elevator. So be sure to level the wing cut out when you cut out the sides if you are using an elevator. You can always raise the trailing edge of the wing with some shims if you cut the sides out as they are on the plans.
I flew this plane at first with just Rudder and Motor control. This is all the 2 channel Skyvector transmitter could provide. I have since ordered a 3 ch T-Hawk transmitter and added another servo to give the plane Elevator too.
I recommend that you add an extra wing bay on each side to give more wing area. It only has 85 sq inches as it is. The extra bay would bring it to around 105 sq inches.
I built this plane a year ago and didn't know a lot about what I was doing then. It turned out a little heavy so now I know to build it lighter next time.
I found that ReadytoFlyFun.com (parts) has the same motor in their smallest plane called the E-gull. They are sold out of this plane but look in the parts page for the motor and prop. The parts page for the T-Hawk has a larger 380 motor and FM tx and rx and motor control that is the same FM rx and motor control that I have in my plane.
I think the plane would do better with a 280 motor, but I haven't tried it yet. They sell a 280 motor also for their new plane.
I'm not sure about props for a 280 but I know the Wingo prop will work
Here are the specs on my LS.

Wing, 19.75 inch span. 85 sq. inches
Weight 7.75 oz with the second servo(it needs to be no more than 6.5oz)
Motor- parkflyer motor from SkyVector, same as E-Gull. 4.25 inch prop
Receiver- 4 ch fm from skyvector
Transmitter- 3 Ch FM T-Hawk tx, readytoflyfun.com
Battery- 600 mah NiMH- (10 min run time) they sell this too at readytoflyfun.com

It is covered with monokote, I am going to try some laminating film and spray paint over that on the next plane I build.
Just remember to keep it light.

It was not that hard to fly with just Rudder and Motor control and the SkyVector transmitter. Just don't try flying in any wind if you want to fly without elevator. It is pretty simple, just go straight to climb and turn to stop the climb. You can also regulate the climb with motor speed. It was lighter with only one servo.
Like I said, it is a little too heavy now especially since adding the extra servo. It needs the 280 motor to have good performance or build it much lighter for the smaller motor.
Let me know If I can be of any help.

Lynn S
Old 02-06-2004, 07:53 PM
O2man

Lynn,

I just bought some coverlit at the local LHS. I think that will go a long way towards reducing the weight ---monocote is notoriously heavy. Coverlite is 1 oz per sq yd (and as expensive as it is light) and monokote is at least 3 oz per sq yd--I couldn't find the specs listed anywhere for monokote's weight. I should save at least 1 oz for the whole plane.

Have you ever tried an undercambered wing? Possibly just cover the top of the wing only? That could be a quick experiment for you since you already have the fuse.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Lynn S

Ed,
I would think the wing would have to be sheeted on top if the bottom was not covered. Except for the monokote the wing seems very light to me. The fuse is where I put on too much weight. I used lots of elmers glue and plenty of balsa. I should be able to cut at least one ounce or more from the fuse.
I ordered a speed 280 motor and Wingo props from Hobby Lobby and put the prop on this motor to see how it worked. The plane flew a lot faster and better but that was too much prop for this motor and it got pretty hot. So that 280 motor should make it go pretty good.
BTW: I just got in a plan today called the Match-Stick which is similar in size but has a larger 23 inch symmetrical wing with ailerons. Send me your email address by PM and I will send you the file as an attachment. It prints out as tiles on acrobat reader and you just tape the sheets of paper together.-Lynn